appointment no show fee

livingalmostlarge

Recycles dryer sheets
So we had a therapist visit yesterday at 6:30 pm which I confirmed yesterday at 9 am and at 3 pm. At 3 pm I called again and asked and the front desk said they had no idea whether she would show up or if we could do a virtual zoom therapy visit. So DH took DK1 to her appointment and they sat there for 20 minutes. I did NOT want the $50 no-show charge right:confused:

Well the therapist no showed at the visit at 6:30 pm at night. I am pissed at the front desk. Okay I feel total sympathy for our therpist and think they should have just cancelled all her appointments and I would have been TOTALLY cool about it. But having us show up in person so WE aren't charged the $50 no-show appointment fee which we all know now applies to appointments we don't show up to I'm pissed.

I left a scathing email and left a voicemail today at the office. No call back. I'm just annoyed as well. What should they do? Or what can I ask for?

sorry for the asterik and acronym.

Last edited:
I had to look up LMHC and i'm sure i'm not the only one. You shouldn't use acronyms that are so rarely used. It makes your post difficult to understand.

It appears that you showed up to an appointment where the practitioner, being injured, might or might not show, in order to avoid a no-show fee for yourself? The front desk "had no idea" - about what, exactly? The practitioner's status, I presume.

It sounds very confusing all around. I am sorry you and your DK (Dear Kid?) made a visit that came to nothing.

Unless you wish to request that the practitioner's office pay you a no-show fee, I do not know what to suggest.

Incidentally, by the end of the first paragraph, I was fatigued from relentless asterisks. One expects an asterisk to have a footnote, yet there are none.

To save others the trouble of looking it up, LMHC = Licensed Mental Health Counselor

Yes, presumably, DK = Dear Kid. I'm curious about the asterisks.

I am honestly confused by all of this. Why did you call twice to confirm on the day. And, why did you ask if the therapist would show up. And, why were they saying they had no idea. It seems like there is something missing which indicated that there was a reason that you knew of why the therapist might not be there? Just confused by this. I would suggest to talk to the therapist and ask why she didn't show up (although maybe you know since you say you have sympathy) and ask her why they didn't cancel if they couldn't be there. I would want I guess a profuse apology.

It appears I popped in after the post was cleaned up a bit. I would only chime in with the observation that the information that made you correctly worry that the therapist might not make it seemed to be confirmed by the front desk's confusion. The best way to resolve that was to change the appointment, after confirming that you wouldn't be charged to do so.

Now, if after giving you information that indicated the therapist might not be able to make it, the office would not allow you to change the appointment without penalty then being royally PO'd would be warranted.

send them a no show bill, worse they can do is not pay it

Unfortunately, the relationship between health care provider and patient is not one of equals. The calendar is managed to ensure the maximum productivity of the provider and does not consider the convenience of the patient.

There is little one can do in a situation like this except let the provider know the process failed.

send them a no show bill, worse they can do is not pay it

I like this idea. Make it very simple/professional and send it off. Highly unlikely it will get paid, but your time is no less valuable than the therapist’s. Go for it. If nothing else, it will set a basis in case there comes a time where you end up missing an appointment. If they bill you, you can show them a copy of the bill they never paid and tell them you’ll call it even.

Your provider no-showed on you? You have no recourse, other than to remember, while your DK is a patient, you are also a customer. Take your business elsewhere and let the provider know your unhappiness.

(I also don't understand why you'd call and confirm multiple times unless this provider has been wonky before?)

I am under the impression from some reading that no show fees are not legally enforceable.

I am a bit confused by the post, but if you showed up and provider did not, there should not be a "no show" fee.
Why did the provider not show? The front desk normally would know if the provider was there or not.
Sounds like mis-communication all around. Annoying, but it does happen.

"No show" would be me paying a fee like that. LOL. They owe you a $50.

I am under the impression from some reading that no show fees are not legally enforceable.

I doubt that any would bother suing over it, but it is a contractual matter and if not paid they can refuse to make any further appointments until it is paid. The response to that is clear - find another provider.

Back
Top Bottom