At the gym--are you social or anti-social?

Great topic. I do not use gyms except when traveling (sufficient equipment and time at home), and don't think them a particularly suitable place for socializing, since we all steenk after a half hour or so. But for those who are already FIRE'd: if you work out, do you prefer a gym membership or just work out at home and outside?

Great topic. I do not use gyms except when traveling (sufficient equipment and time at home), and don't think them a particularly suitable place for socializing, since we all steenk after a half hour or so. But for those who are already FIRE'd: if you work out, do you prefer a gym membership or just work out at home and outside?

I'm retired, and I do all of those. We go to the gym three days a week for an hour, and I ride my recumbent bike at home in the evenings for a half hour.

When it is beautiful outside, of course we take advantage of it as well. My dear friend rides his trail bike in his neighborhood every afternoon when he can. However the weather is so changeable in New Orleans (and so hot in the summer) that it isn't always pleasant to exercise outside.

Last edited:
However the weather is so changeable in New Orleans (and so hot in the summer) that it isn't always pleasant to exercise outside.

This is a big deal to me. I was offered a position in Baton Rouge a little while ago, but I knew I would be miserable in the difficult seasons, despite how much I like the area during the times I have visited (fall). Instead, I am hoping to move to the nearer south (I am currently in the midwest, which has its own issues, for sure...)

This is a big deal to me. I was offered a position in Baton Rouge a little while ago, but I knew I would be miserable in the difficult seasons, despite how much I like the area during the times I have visited (fall). Instead, I am hoping to move to the nearer south (I am currently in the midwest, which has its own issues, for sure...)

If you can afford a gym and/or your own home gym, then you have the luxury of not having to be rained on or be concerned with the weather report, no matter where you are. :D

Interesting. For me even though I am anti-social at the gym. I hate...no let me rephrase that..I loathe working out at home. I just don't do it. But if I get my butt up and TO the gym then I will exericise like a maniac. At home I find too many distractions. Maybe it is because if I go to the gym, and try and slink out early I would be too self conscious? Who knows, all I know is that I prefer the gym. I have tried to do it at home and I just can't find it in me to exercise. Ah..humans, ain't we interesting at how we justify things? :greetings10:

Interesting. For me even though I am anti-social at the gym. I hate...no let me rephrase that..I loathe working out at home. I just don't do it. But if I get my butt up and TO the gym then I will exericise like a maniac. At home I find too many distractions. Maybe it is because if I go to the gym, and try and slink out early I would be too self conscious? Who knows, all I know is that I prefer the gym. I have tried to do it at home and I just can't find it in me to exercise. Ah..humans, ain't we interesting at how we justify things? :greetings10:

Well, I just wait until the best TV show of the evening is on and then get on my snazzy new Schwinn recumbent bike with its comfy seat, nifty color console, and great programmed rides, and pedal like a maniac while I watch TV. That doesn't take much self discipline. It's kind of fun. :)

Last edited:

I might be fortunate in that I have a dedicated place at home to do this. I realize many do not. I do appreciate your attitude about it, though. Working out is a PITA, no matter where it is. But a beautiful spring or summer day helps, especially if you live in the frozen tundra.

While I am working out, I almost always have my ipod/earbuds so that limits any socializing. I'd say more than half the people I see at the gym have on a headset or earbuds, although there are a few people who seem to go to socialize.

I try to be pleasant and smile and say hello to those I see on a regular basis, but I rarely have a conversation with any of them. I do, however, sometimes chat before or after my workout with some of the staff and a couple of friends who happen to belong to the same gym.

One thing I don't get are the people who just sit on the equipment having a conversation. It's never yet held me up, but I wouldn't hesitate to ask them to relinquish the equipment if they weren't using it.

i have a gym membership but haven't been using it much lately since i have a pretty good treadmill, and a combination rowing machine/recumbent bike at home. I know I should do weight training but I really loathe doing it. When I do go to the gym, I will nod or say hello, but I never have a conversation. I prefer to keep to myself, do what I came to do, and get on my way.

All of that said, i have not used the treadmill or gone to the gym since the Japan earthquake and tsunami, as the government has asked us to save electricity. So I've just been running outside when the weather and temp is good enough to do so. I need to get back on the recumbent in the evening for 30 min or so. It does not use much power (just for the resistance magnets), but I think it will be a while before I get back on the treadmill.

R

I work out at home. I have a Bowflex, some free weights and a treadmill. I also walk or ride (my fav form of exercise) outside weather permitting. I work out first thing in the AM, usually watch The Daily Show (DVR), local news/weather or natl news while I work out. I can make breakfast while still cooling down and then jump into my own shower after cooling down (as opposed to jumping in right after a workout at a gym).

I can't imagine paying for a gym membership - more money, more time, competing for equipment/lockers/showers, less hygenic, etc.

The local gyms I have been to seem to be about socializing, networking and showing off (see I work out!) first and foremost, not that the members don't indeed work out while there. For anyone who wants to work out and socialize, a gym membership would be nirvana.

YMMV

I have a bowflex, dumbbells and treadmill at home, so no socializing there. No socializing while hiking and biking, except on the Friday hikes with my BIL and his dog.

We decided this morning that we'll join the local gym here for the next 6 months while on holiday. Even though we plan to get in lots of walking, we don't want to neglect the rest of the muscle groups.

We had a look around the place and it is very small and was very quiet the day we went. Can't remember if there is an area to sit around and socialize, but it is on the same street as a couple of coffee shops so I don't expect to do much socializing in this particular gym.

I'm so anti social at the gym, that I only work out at home with the equipment we have. I have no problem doing it at home, but can't get up the motivation to go to a gym around a bunch of people.

I work out at home because I don't want to socialize during a workout.
Same here; that's why I have a treadmill and Bowflex at home.

Also, it's easier to just hit the equipment when I want to (being retired) rather than getting in my car, especially on a cold, snowy winter morning.

Being an introvert and having my home gym works for me...

If I had the room for a decent home gym, I would definitely work out at home. Right now I have a power rack, bench, 300 lbs of plates and 75 lb adjustable dbs, but my space (its in my master bathroom) is too confined so I only use it when I can't make it to my local gym. Also, the type of gym you go to can make a big difference in your enjoyment factor. My gym is not too big or too crowded. It is owned by an ex body builder and power lifting champion, so it has the right equipment and free weights for me. Most of the members are middle age and use personal trainers and the the gym etiquette is good. I could never handle going to one of those Fitness 24 type places.

If I had the room for a decent home gym, I would definitely work out at home. Right now I have a power rack, bench, 300 lbs of plates and 75 lb adjustable dbs, but my space (its in my master bathroom) is too confined so I only use it when I can't make it to my local gym.

Home gyms take a lot of space! I am in the process of converting my 22'x13' dining room into my home gym. I have an exercycle now, and tentatively plan to add a treadmill, a total home gym for strength, and plenty of open space for Wii Fit, free weights, calisthenics, etc. Using graph paper and real dimensions, I determined that this is all that I can fit in the room comfortably.

Right now, we are also going to the gym three times a week so I am in no rush to buy everything right away. It's fun to exercycle in a big, nearly empty room with the ceiling fan on - - lots of space and moving air.

DFW-M5 said:
Also, the type of gym you go to can make a big difference in your enjoyment factor. My gym is not too big or too crowded. It is owned by an ex body builder and power lifting champion, so it has the right equipment and free weights for me. Most of the members are middle age and use personal trainers and the the gym etiquette is good. I could never handle going to one of those Fitness 24 type places.

Our gym is similar, and we have never tried one of those 24 hour fitness places.

Home gyms take a lot of space! I am in the process of converting my 22'x13' dining room into my home gym. I have an exercycle now, and tentatively plan to add a treadmill, a total home gym for strength, and plenty of open space for Wii Fit, free weights, calisthenics, etc. Using graph paper and real dimensions, I determined that this is all that I can fit in the room comfortably.

I would love to use our DR, but my DW has already acused me of having too many man caves around the house. Upstairs play room has my office, a home theater and my reloading bench. In the study down stairs I have my ham radio equipment (also serves as a bedroom for one of our cats) and of course the weight equip in the master bath. If I tried for the dining room, I'd end up sleeping on the back porch.

I would love to use our DR, but my DW has already acused me of having too many man caves around the house. Upstairs play room has my office, a home theater and my reloading bench. In the study down stairs I have my ham radio equipment (also serves as a bedroom for one of our cats) and of course the weight equip in the master bath. If I tried for the dining room, I'd end up sleeping on the back porch.

There are many times when both Frank and I are glad that he has his own house, and I have mine. :) I just love my house, and I love it even more now that it is all recarpeted and painted, and with a great big room devoted to exercise and gym equipment.

If you ever do set up a room for your gym equipment, I recommend as big a room as possible and adding a high ceiling fan. It's great to feel a little breeze in there. :)

Last edited:
I use a Soloflex that I bought in the late '90s and seems to be holding up. I notice several people have mentioned Bowflex equipment and am curious if you think that brand is better, and why.

To my knowledge, Soloflex is still in business but it seems they went through some changes.

I do five senior-citizen water aerobic classes each week. I chat with the ladies while warming up but after that I'm working hard and paying attention to the instructor. Lots of those ladies (men too) go for the socializing so I guess its "to each his own".

Go to workout muscles, fine tune agility, speed and balance. Skip most if not all conversations.

Senior center. Small talk during treadmill warm up and cool down and stretching at the end of workout. Not so much during the heavy duty part and on the machines.

heh heh heh - tongue in cheek on the previous post - us guys chat too. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom