Best time of the year for blood work and physical?

teetee

Full time employment: Posting here.
With covid I skipped last year physical. I am male 44 work full time, slightly overweight but not on any meds. Is there a preferred time of the year you would go do blood work followed by an annual physical? I used to do it around Oct., Before the Nov. health insurance enrollment. I try not to visit the clinics or hospitals during the flu season.

While I am on the topic, what time of the year would you prefer to do your annual eye checkup and teeth cleaning? I skipped those too last year..

Last edited:
With covid I skipped last year physical. I am male 44 work full time, slightly overweight but not on any meds. Is there a preferred time of the year you would go do blood work followed by an annual physical? I used to do it around Oct., Before the Nov. health insurance enrollment. I try not to visit the clinics or hospitals during the flu season.

While I am on the topic, what time of the year would you prefer to do your annual eye checkup and teeth cleaning? I skipped those too last year..

I see my doctors and dentist any time of year, as needed. I have no preference. I am 72 and on meds, so my doctor wants to see me 2-3 times/year, as does my dentist.

I did skip several appointments in 2020 due to the pandemic but rescheduled them for later in 2020 and now I am no longer delaying appointments.

Any time is the right time for a physical or dental work. And you're right about so many skipping the dentist visit(s) last year for their biannual teeth cleaning.

Our primary care physicians still have not opened their office to the general public. They're enjoying telemedicine so much that they plan on making it permanent. That means that real in person physicals are getting even more difficult to get than in the past.

Many physicians really spread out their physicals throughout the year--almost to the point of rationing them. And many practices have a large number of older patients where Medicare will not pay for anything more than a little blood work--a mini check up of sorts. And their laboratory is a walk up office located in Walmart--next to the hair cutters.

I just think of my last two friends that smoked dying last year. Had they been getting full physicals with chest x-rays, maybe their stage IV lung cancer would have been spotted much earlier and treatment may have worked.

Im 64.
My PCP office never closed for covid. Just extra precautions.

I have always had a full in person physical with bloodwork once each year. I usually schedule in sept. After an active summer outdoors, Im as fit as Im going to be!

Twice yearly teeth cleaning without fail.

My eyes are still excellent so I go every 2-3 years.

Since you (like many of us) missed last year, the best time this year is now. As in overdue, get to the doctor.

In general I don't think it matters. I personally like to get any planned stuff in relatively early in the year, to start building up towards the deductible in case I need a big thing later in the year.

I know it's tempting to go at the end of a "best fittest" period, like end of summer or whenever we're at our best (like, not Jan2). But then is that really helpful? If my stats are good on my absolute best week of the year, that might give me a false sense of good health the other 51 weeks.

It shouldn't be thought of the way we drop 5lbs to get ready for swimsuit season. (but I know...)

For routine visits, anytime I can get a convenient appointment. My physical is scheduled for October 2021. Dental about the same time.

I like physicals early in the year and just had one a few weeks ago. Having it early takes advantage of fulfilling the deductible early in the year in case something shows up.

I do it early in the year. Reason being if I should need any testing or treatment I have the year to bunch up the expenses for my deductible. But end of year could be good except usually year end is very busy as people spend spend down any HSA funds or rush in as they've hit their deductible.

Agreed, today is always the best day to either get a physical or at least schedule it for the earliest convenient date. The only preference I've had is the day of the week back when I actually went into an office 3 days a week; I'd schedule the first appt. of the morning on a day I was working from home, and only have to take about an hour of leave. (My doctor's office is 5 minutes from our house.) Just like with investing, I find the best cure for analysis paralysis is to just give myself a short, specific amount of time to make a decision and then do it. I usually already know what I should do, and if new information comes in, I can decide how to deal with it at that time.

I've always scheduled my annual checkup towards the end of the year and get the flu vaccine at the same time.

No preference for either of us. Preferred provider plan has copays, but no deductible.

Dental cleaning at whatever interval the hygienist recommends. Dental insurance uses a fixed copay schedule.

Mammogram usually in spring, although I'm delaying this year because of having been vaccinated.

My medical insurance has frequency limits, so for my annual checkup I have it as soon as possible after 365 days after my last checkup. Flu shot in September or October.

Dental - I self-insure and have decent oral hygiene and teeth, so I have them remind me at 6 months and then schedule it a month or two after the reminder. Thus I go every 7 or 8 months.

Vision - I'm nearsighted and my eyes have been getting worse since, well, forever. So I go every time I need a new prescription, which is every few years or so.

Agreed, today is always the best day to either get a physical or at least schedule it for the earliest convenient date. The only preference I've had is the day of the week back when I actually went into an office 3 days a week; I'd schedule the first appt. of the morning on a day I was working from home, and only have to take about an hour of leave.

I agree totally about today (or ASAP) being the best day for a physical. In my post above, I forgot to say that while I have no preference for various times of the year, I do prefer my appointments to be in the afternoons! Being fully retired, I hate getting up early in the morning these days.

I used to plan the month of my birthday as a reminder.
But I have moved away from that and rely on the numerous reminders from my PCP and dental offices!

Do not worry about the time of year. Follow the Nike slogan and "Just Do It!" :)

Any time of year. Whatever works with out travel schedule.

I do this. Not so much for travel specifically but I like to get all recurring, routine type things out of the way in March-ish/early April so I'm clear for all the nice weather. That allows me all the way till late Set/early Oct, after the nice weather, to catch the second semi-annual dental cleaning and anything else I could get done in March.

The only medical reasons to schedule things a certain way might be - blood tests / physicals right after The Holidays / dead of Winter probably not the super best time. Lots of fat and sugar recently ingested + a few extra pounds / most people are less active but not everyone. Late Summer/early Fall after the active season might be better. Teeth, eyes, prostate checks etc don't seem to me to have any seasonal sensitivity

I've always scheduled my annual checkup towards the end of the year and get the flu vaccine at the same time.

+1

I think I'll get my annual physical a littler earlier this year (maybe in August), since I missed last year due to COVID. But, yes, normally I go in October or November and get the flu shot at the same time.

Any time of year. Whatever works with out travel schedule.

Same here.

Had my last annual physical and blood work mid May, 2020. Dentist three times per year. At 77, I don't want to delay checkups. No big health issues yet and hope none for a good while forward.

Some people schedule during their birthday month as that serves as a reminder of when they're due. They don't have to remember when they did it last because they know it was in October or May or whenever their birthday is.

As others have said, doing it early in the year is often best for insurance deductible reasons.

I do prefer my appointments to be in the afternoons! Being fully retired, I hate getting up early in the morning these days.

Actually, that's the only thing I care about, and it's the opposite. I want it to be as early in the morning as possible, because they need you to be fasting for the blood draw and I WANT MY COFFEE!!!!

Some offices get booked up at the end of the year with people trying to use up FSA money. Is there any good month for a colonoscopy?

Is there any good month for a colonoscopy?
Actually, yes. You generally don't want to be hospitalized or do major medical procedures in July. Why? That's when the new residents start. Unless you are sure that there will be no residents, interns, or students involved in any way, it's best to stay away from July and August if possible.

I have been to many doctor's appointments recently with DH who just had knee replacement surgery. The new trend is to have the patient to stay in their car until the office calls you to come in for your appt. Sometimes you have to sit in your car 20-30 minutes waiting for the call. At an afternoon appointment this week it was very hot, there was no shade and we had trouble keeping the car cool. By the time of the appointment we were both feeling overheated. If this new procedure continues I am going to have to schedule appointments very early in the morning or during the cooler months.

Back
Top Bottom