blood pressure med, yes or no?

MRG: I will pay attention to my heart rate too then. It was too fast and erratic and they have no idea why so I am on a beta-blocker.

A philosophy that I've developed over the years.

Search for a doctor that I trust.
Learn all I can about whatever health situation is manifested. Hours of research on line on both recognized legitimate websites, then going to the footnoted back up.
Discuss with the doctor in medical terms. (This is most important, and I would never stay with a doctor who wouldn't do this.)
Agree with recommendations that make sense, then follow through with whatever medication or form of treatment is required.

From a terrible outlook, some 20 years ago, with blood panel projecting a early death, to today, with every reading in the normal or better than normal range.. BP 120/70.

Yes... two vitamins and six medications that are taken daily. With the exception of normal (and increasing) arthritis, I feel better than I did when I was in my 50's.

Each to his/her own belief. :)

Yes, I have been on them since about age 40. I should have started them years earlier. Started with lisinopril and loved how good I felt immediately. I no longer had the daily morning headache which I had (incorrectly) attributed to stress. Unfortunately, I developed a cough so can't take ACE inhibitors, but Losartan now works fine for me. I am a healthy weight, vegetarian, and up until my plantar fasciitis flare 6 months ago jogged at least 5 days a week. I did cut my dose in half because I was having so much postural hypertension. At one point I weaned myself of the losartan, but the BP crept up and the morning headaches came back. I am happy now to just stay on 25mg of Losartan, watch the BP and resume jogging once the foot cooperates. Some of us may just need to stay on meds.

67 here and no meds of any kind other than as-needed OTC naproxen for knees with too many years and too many miles on them.

I am also against meds but blood pressure is one I have to take. My father had high blood pressure. I'm in pretty good shape for 61. I bike, hike, etc.

It took a while to dial in the right med and dose.

Use a beta blocker. Helps bp which was marginal-high, but mostly take for preventing a-fib.

A philosophy that I've developed over the years.

Search for a doctor that I trust.
Learn all I can about whatever health situation is manifested. Hours of research on line on both recognized legitimate websites, then going to the footnoted back up.
Discuss with the doctor in medical terms. (This is most important, and I would never stay with a doctor who wouldn't do this.)
Agree with recommendations that make sense, then follow through with whatever medication or form of treatment is required.

From a terrible outlook, some 20 years ago, with blood panel projecting a early death, to today, with every reading in the normal or better than normal range.. BP 120/70.

Yes... two vitamins and six medications that are taken daily. With the exception of normal (and increasing) arthritis, I feel better than I did when I was in my 50's.

Each to his/her own belief. :)

Amen. Two BP meds and one cholesterol. 30 years and counting. Started in my 40's.

heh heh heh - :D Changed my lifestyle. Still the thought of a fried seafood platter with chili cheese fries is a wistful memory.

And ketchup.

Last edited:
Same here unclemick on the meds. About the lifestyle change, I'm fixin to start thinking on that.

Age 64, no meds. BP was 97/57 last time I donated platelets. (Do I win for lowest BP? ;-)) Only drawback is that I have to watch it right after donating blood or blood products because I get lightheaded if I stand up too quickly.

I do over an hour of cardio every day, weigh less than I did when I graduated HS and am careful about consumption of fats, meats and sugar. OTOH, my mother needed meds to lower her BP and she was also thin, active and ate healthy. She used to apologize for not putting salt in her cooking. Partly luck, I guess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom