carpal tunnel syndrome

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Greg had problems with numbness/weakness in his hands and had an EMG. The diagnosis is carpal tunnel syndrome. The doc said it is a pretty bad case and the plan is to do surgery to fix it.

The EMG test is done by inserting a needle through the skin into the muscles to record electrical activity in the muscle. I believe they also did a nerve conduction test as well.

One odd thing, that may very well be coincidental, is that since the test was done a week ago one of his hands is a lot worse. Plus, there is a weird white line on top of one of his hands about where one of the electrodes went. I couldn't find any indication that damage could be done from the test, but one still wonders. . .

Anyone have the surgery done? How about the EMG? Experiences?

Re: carpel tunnel syndrome

My Mom had the test done many years ago.... but he doc already knew what the problem was before the test.... nothing bad happened by the test..

She got a shot of cortizone (maybe two) and was able to get better and never had the surgery...

I had carpel tunnel for about a year and just changed how I did things... and now rotate my hand etc. so it does not come back.... every once in awhile a twing or two, but no pain... but, my range of motion is a lot less on that hand now... you can not bend my fingers back very far...

Re: carpel tunnel syndrome

I also had CT in both wrists at different times (80-90 hours per week in front of a computer for 10 years will do that to you). It was so bad I couldn't barely work, and couldn't even hold a briefcase in my hand. Got the cortisones shots in the wrists (once in each wrist at different times) and voila! problem gone...for over 10 years now with no re-occurence...defintely worth looking into or at least asking the doctor about.

The doc says he needs the surgery or permanent nerve damage will result.

My dad (welder) had this in both hand. He had surgery for both -- said it helped a great deal.

I had an analogous condition in an index finger: trigger finger. The tendon becomes inflammed and catches in its sheath. Carpal tunnel is an inflammatory condtion as well: not enough space for a swollen tendon and nerves in the channel. I did the cortisone shot as an obligatory protocol prior to surgery and it worked fine-knocking on my wooden head- as it does so about 1/2 the time. Quells the swelling and all is fine unless it flares again. The other half go to surgery to split the tight sheath. Cortisone can be problematic in repeat doses: think Adolph's meat tenderizer on tendons and ligaments. Many pro football players pretty much had the soft tissues of their joints dissolved by it in the 50's and 60's with mulit injections so they could get and out and play despite injuries. But, if cortisone is available as a one or two time conservative measure, I would try it. Had a case where a local artisan lost much nerve function (sensory) as an acceptable complication of the surgical procedure. His doc should tell him the complication rate-I would guess it's @ 2%.

Martha said:
Greg had problems with numbness/weakness in his hands and had an EMG. The diagnosis is carpal tunnel syndrome. The doc said it is a pretty bad case and the plan is to do surgery to fix it.

The EMG test is done by inserting a needle through the skin into the muscles to record electrical activity in the muscle. I believe they also did a nerve conduction test as well.

One odd thing, that may very well be coincidental, is that since the test was done a week ago one of his hands is a lot worse. Plus, there is a weird white line on top of one of his hands about where one of the electrodes went. I couldn't find any indication that damage could be done from the test, but one still wonders. . .

Anyone have the surgery done? How about the EMG? Experiences?

When I finished our basement bedroom, I worked on it for about 12 hours a day for 21 days straight. (I like to finish things!) - Anyway I was running a nail gun and after about 16-18 days into the project, I ended up with some numb fingers - It was carpel tunnel. - I went to the Doc and of course once I completed the Project and quit using the nail gun (Putting my wrist at an angle and sqeezing the trigger) - The numbness disappeared and not doing anything has paid off! :)

Can I ask how Greg got this and if he stopped doing it? - That is usually the first treatment! - Surgery is very rare.

Cut-Throat said:
Can I ask how Greg got this and if he stopped doing it? - That is usually the first treatment! - Surgery is very rare.

:p ;)

Whatever he was doing he says he is doing much less of it in the winter.

Actually, it may be from motorcycling, but it is somewhat of a mystery.

Martha I had that test a few years ago and for the next few months it did make it worse in one hand. I should have surgery but I don't want the large cut they make, I'm trying to find a dr that will do it with small incisions. The only time it really bothers me is if I'm doing something like sewing or knitting or when I'm on the motorcycle. I did have one dr tell me that vitamin B would help it, I don't know if that worked or not.

When I had carpal tunnel syndrome, I had physical therapy and recovered. If you go the physical therapy route, be sure to look for a therapist who has extensive experience with this type of injury. I found a program of gentle streching described in the book, "Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome : And Other Repetitive Strain Injuries" by Sharon J. Butler to be most helpful. The book discusses the different types of repetitive stress injuries and how they can arise. I agree that it is very important to stop/alter the activity that is causing the injury.

I have a friend who got some relief from his CTS symptoms after surgery, so this is a option. My injury probably was not as severe as Gregs and I chose the noninvasive approach. Have you considered getting a second opinion to see whether surgery is Greg's only option?

Martha, I really hope Greg gets better.

I am a software engineer. After my first full-time year in the profession, I got two medical side effects. I got a little thingie in my eye and mild carpal tunnel. The little thingie was probably from wearing contacts and not blinking and so dryness caused it (it is not serious). So I don't wear contacts to work now for the last ten years. No more problems.

The carpal tunnel is that I got slight numbness in all of my fingertips. I went to the doctor and she told me I should change professions, that there was no solution. It has never gotten worse or better and no pain since then in ten years (and I can't say my behavior has gotten better in terms of stretching, taking breaks, etc.). I plan to semi-FIRE next year, so I guess I made it.

Many people in my profession have this problem (sometimes it is tendonitis -- I don't really understand the differences). But surgery seems to be rare (my main point here). Usually there is changed behavior and rest. But I am not an expert. Some people get affected and others don't -- it is partially genetic in that folks with smaller wrists, for instance, will get more easily inflamed.

Kramer

CTS involves a pinched nerve and it looks like if you have a serious case permanent damage will result without surgical intervention. Now that I have read a bit more about CTS it looks like for the most part an exact cause won't be pinpointed. There are factors that can make you more likely to get CTS. For example a small boned woman like me is more likely to get CTS. But I don't have it, Greg does.

From what I have read this morning, a number of repetitive stress injuries are something other than carpal tunnel syndrome, such as tendonitis.

Greg made an appointment for a second opinion. The first surgeon was one of those rush them in and out guys who has no time for a discussion.

Martha I'm surprised the dr wants him to have surgery without going through all the other remedies, usually that's last resort. They suggested surgery for me because I'm allergic to anti-inflamatory meds and that was the next step after trying them with physical therapy. I totally agree on a second opinion.

Outtahere said:
Martha I'm surprised the dr wants him to have surgery without going through all the other remedies, usually that's last resort.
I'm not surprised that a surgeon sees surgery as the only solution.

Good thing Greg wasn't seeing a proctologist or a urologist!

Martha,

I have carpal tunnel and wear a brace to this day - can't type without it. Also, I had the surgery done back in 2000, along with cubital tunnel surgery (near elbow), both surgerys done at the same time. In a cast for weeks for the elbow surgery. First did physical therapy for a few months -- then had all the electrical nerve tests. The carpal tunnel surgery was the easier surgery to deal with...

Nords said:

Good thing Greg wasn't seeing a proctologist or a urologist!
:LOL:
If my Dr. tells me to get surgery - I would probably tell him I'm converting to Christian Scientist in the morning...sorry Greg ouch!

Not sure of all the details, but anyone advising surgery before a trial of conservative therapy (especially nocturnal wrist splinting or possibly local steroid injections) had best be very sure there was present and progressing or early permanent damage. This would be a combination of careful exam and the studies already mentioned. Otherwise this is clearly a more aggressive approach than usual.

There is a newer endoscopic surgery for this condition that is less traumatic and has a quicker recovery, if it comes to that.

Hope it works out well.

nocturnal wrist splinting
Now I am remembering that the doctor mentioned this, too. They said a lot of people exacerbate their condition when sleeping by curling their wrists, etc.

Kramer

I wore wrist braces for months, I still do if it flares up.

Nords said:

I just set up a second consult before Xmas. A second opinion is worthwhile at this point. The current dr blew off all my alternatives questions. We will see. Contrary to Martha, I personally think it all started from riding ATVs and motorcycles. My accelerator thumb is now weaker than it used to be and that was about the time my hands started going numb from vibration too. Always after about an hour of riding.

Hi,

Bummer..

DW spent 10 hours a day as a Technical illustrator. She's tough as nails and reluctantly takes an Advil, only one, if she is missing a limb...

Never imagined she would go under the knife but goes to show you how painful and hindering it is.

She opted for the surgery about 7 years ago and is very happy she did it. She luckily switched jobs and computer time was down to 3-4 hours a day befor FIRE.

Few days she spent a full day on the computer it kind of came back (ie similar pain tingling weakness) but didn't last. SO you can over do it. Not a perfect fix. Just be smart...

Good Luck,

W

Good Luck.

Greg said:
I just set up a second consult before Xmas. A second opinion is worthwhile at this point. The current dr blew off all my alternatives questions. We will see. Contrary to Martha, I personally think it all started from riding ATVs and motorcycles. My accelerator thumb is now weaker than it used to be and that was about the time my hands started going numb from vibration too. Always after about an hour of riding.
Harley?

Not being a wise guy (though I did ride an alternative German model ;)), but the famous vibration is a well-recognized cause of CTS as well as other repetitiive stress disorders.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Harley?

but the famous vibration is a well-recognized cause of CTS as well as other repetitiive stress disorders.

That's when mine acts up the worst, dh says his newer Road King has much less vibration.

Back
Top Bottom