Change coming to Aetna's Part D business

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just read that the Justice Department's antitrust officials have given CVS the go-ahead to buy Aetna, with the condition that they sell off Aetna's Medicare Part D business. The acquisition deal is expected to close by the end of the year.

I would think that Aetna's 2019 Part D business would not be changed for users, as the premium cost cannot rise during the plan year. But they could withdraw from the market, though that wouldn't make any sense, as the unit's market value would then be destroyed. I'm going to let it ride for 2019. Next October's open enrollment, who knows?

I was reading it in a newspaper, also just found it online at The Washington Post, but I seem to be unable to link it from there.

Last edited:
Oh, s--t. I was just about to sign up for that. Cheapest plan on the list. Time for Plan B for Part D!

I currently have an Aetna Part D plan. Earlier this week, I received a call from Aetna (a real person), advising me that Aetna would be making some changes to their Part D plan for 2019. But, then he says he can’t tell me any details now and asked if would be all right to call me back in a couple of weeks. I agreed, but thought the whole thing was kind of weird.

I currently have an Aetna Part D plan. Earlier this week, I received a call from Aetna (a real person), advising me that Aetna would be making some changes to their Part D plan for 2019. But, then he says he can’t tell me any details now and asked if would be all right to call me back in a couple of weeks. I agreed, but thought the whole thing was kind of weird.

I will be starting the last 2 months of 2018 with the 2018 Aetna Medicare RX Select Plan. One day last week in the mail I got two plastic-wrapped document packages from Aetna - The 2018 Info book, Formulary, etc. for this year, and the 2019 Info book, Formulary, etc. for next year. I really didn't see any negative changes for 2019, the deductible goes down, the premium goes down. As I am not on any meds, all I really looked up in the 2019 formulary was ShingRix, which stayed on the same Tier as in 2018.

This coming Monday is the start of Open Enrollment, so I would think everything for 2019 is all nailed down tight now, set in cement to continue the construction analogy. As to what their 2020 plan will be, or who will own it, who knows. But we will have Open Enrollment for 2020 next Fall, and will see what they have then.

So I'm not making any changes. I believe Aetna is one of the biggest players in Part D Plans, so I'm not expecting a disaster for 2020 by whoever takes it over. A lot better that a Drug Plan gets taken over, since it's so easy and no-penalty to us to change providers, than having a Medigap Plan takeover!

I am looking at aetna select rx plan for 2019. are they a good company to deal with? customer service? Is this plan good or are there any known problems with them?

Don't know how I missed this post.

Yikes just switched to Aetna Medicare RX Select Plan from Humana/Walmart last week. Aetna plan seems identical to Humana, no cost tier one mailorder free shipping and CVS is a preferred pharmacy. If nothing else my plan B would be Walmart 90 day supply for $10.YMMV

I have humana walmart also. aetna seems to be cheaper and with the preferred pharmacies, cvs and hyvee I don't have to go to walmart.

Apparently, the Aetna Part D business has been tentatively sold to WellCare, pending final Justice Department approval of the Aetna acquisition by CVS. Aetna will administer the Part D plan through 2019. Should be no changes for 2019, at least at first.

WellCare is big in Medicaid management. That does not bode well for the Aetna customers. As companies can change formularies with a 60 day notice to plan participants and the customers have no recourse, I am extremely reluctant to sign up with a company primarily known for Medicaid management. Yes, I can switch plans next year, but that's a year and two months from now.

Looking at the WellCare site, it looks like they offer Advantage plans and already offer a Part D plan in my area. My guess is they will merge the Aetna customers into their existing plans. The Via Benefits people do not appear to have contracted with WellCare, as there are no WellCare plans on their site. Given that WellCare specializes in low income customers, I am pretty sure the Aetna plan is off my short list.

when you say change their formulary do you mean the tier levels of the drugs or something else?

We were on Aetna RX plan for 2018 and had no hiccups or issues as all of our RX are generic meds. Price was going to drop form 17.70 to 17.10 in 2019 and only 1 of our meds had a very slight change in cost. Wellcare Part D plan was new this year as an option and came in at $15.50 per mo. Our generic meds were almost all covered at $0 co-pay. Switching to Wellcare for 2019 as we can use the CVS mail order program and have the meds sent to us rather than picking them up at a pharmacy every quarter.

My Walmart/Humana was going up to $26.30. Aetna is $12.20, and Wellcare is $13.40 in my area. I didn't check Wellcare as Aetna Select had what I needed tier one mail order and shipping all free.

My Aetna Part D plan premium went down $3/month for 2019 ($21.XX). The one drug I take is Tier II so I have no deductible to meet. I'll take it.:cool:

~ $258 premiums
$3 x 4 quarters is $12/yr. (drug)

~ $270 total for 2019 (unless I have to sign on for new prescriptions)

I can choose to pick up the prescription at Costco or Walmart, both are about one mile from the house.

Last edited:
Apparently, the Aetna Part D business has been tentatively sold to WellCare, pending final Justice Department approval of the Aetna acquisition by CVS. Aetna will administer the Part D plan through 2019. Should be no changes for 2019, at least at first.

WellCare is big in Medicaid management.
Now Centene is buying WellCare.

The deal would allow Centene to grow its Medicaid business and save costs as well as expand into Medicare Advantage, which is currently a small segment for the company.

Reference: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/27/health-insurer-centene-to-buy-smaller-rival-wellcare.html

Now Centene is buying WellCare.
I used to have to call them a client. I'd rather buy insurance from a guy under a bridge then have to support those idiots again.

Back
Top Bottom