Medicare Part D changes for 2024

Wife's Cigna plan going from $23 to $44/mo...along with an increase in deductible and all tiers now subject to it.

Crazy increase %!

If mail order provider changes, have Dr send new scripts to be mail order provider. It won't change automatically

Me: Aetna, Silverscript plan $7.40 --> $12.30
Dw: Wellcare, Value script: $11.20 --> $0.50

Bottom line for me: both are quite cheap and our total cost is going down (based on monthly fees), BUT as everyone knows the devil is in the details when one adds in prescription costs. We're on different plans because the Medicare web-based total cost algorithm told us this was the lowest cost way of getting our regular scripts. So we'll wait until Medicare updates that program later in the year and make a decision based on its recommendation. It's always a crapshoot because any unexpected new prescriptions not factored into the analysis.
Hard to believe, but WellCare with its $0.50/month premium will be cheapest for DW and me. All three of my regular prescriptions will be at zero cost. My total bill for 2024 will be $6 (fingers crossed as always that I don't need any additional meds in 2024).

Hard to believe, but WellCare with its $0.50/month premium will be cheapest for DW and me. All three of my regular prescriptions will be at zero cost. My total bill for 2024 will be $6 (fingers crossed as always that I don't need any additional meds in 2024).

Yeah. I just checked mine (WellCare). 2024 costs: Zero premium and Zero cost for my 2 maintenance drugs. 2023 annual cost is just under $200.

For DW, we need to look more closely. It looks like her annual cost will be $425 to $500 for the 2 lowest plans I checked. 2023 annual cost was about $400.

In this location approx 43% of plans will be over $100 premium per month in 2024, some well over, compared to approx 11% in 2023.

Wonder what happened to the 6% increase limit?

Last edited:
Excellent ~ Thanks!

[FONT=&quot]Wellcare Value Script (PDP) is the clear winner; for me will be [/FONT][FONT=&quot]$3.70/month . . . much better than SilverScript’s $31![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Although deductible will be $545, rather than $280.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But I’m not a druggie, so this won’t matter :)
[/FONT]

I am not a big fan of Wellcare, seeing the hoops that Ms G has to jump through. But, without last years prostate meds and only a tier 1 thyroid med I can have $0 premium, and $0 cost from mail order or CVS. Hey I will take it even if it is only one year.:dance:

I am not of medicare age but I took my first look at these. No 4 star options in my zip code and basically useless. I won't hit the deductibles. . . Is this typical?

Last edited:
I am not of medicare age but I took my first look at these. No 4 star options in my zip code and basically useless. I won't hit the deductibles. . . Is this typical?

IMHO, "star" reviews are useless. Maybe take a look at some of the comments, but even then, how many folks will bother to logon to say they like a plan. Versus the few folks that have a beef and sound off.

Understand the deductibles. In my case, as I said above, my premiums will be ZERO, and my current maintenance drugs will be ZERO. If I get prescribed something else during the year, all bets are off. BUT I can change next year, if there is something better.

Yeah the deductibles looked high to me $500 ish. Of course no way to know what meds I will be on by then (if I live long enough).

The deductible usually doesn’t kick in until at least tier 2. Sometimes higher. Taking the example of the wellcare plan in my area it says a 500 plus deductible but if I put a generic that is quite cheap it shows the year drug cost as zero as there apparently is no copay and the deductible doesn’t apply

Thanks for the link. My Aetna Part D will increase to $18.6/month. But Wellcare will only be $0.4/month. I am not taking any prescriptions, so I will definitely switch.

Those are my prices, too, and like you, I have no prescriptions, so I’ll be switching.

Thanks for the link!

Ditto, here. That link opened the window on some key information that I was able to find very quickly.

Whenever I call a politician, or call my Part D WellCare extortionists, they are quick to remind me that I might qualify for Extra Help with drug costs. The "catch" is that not only does current income pertain, but investments, too. Those savings and investments cannot be more than approx. $33,000.

Ya, so if you've been conscientious and adept and consistent about saving for retirement, you're screwed: you don't qualify. Even if one's current income is under $30k/year. "Catch-22. That's some CATCH, that Catch-22!!!"

A single-payer plan will surely be f*cked-up by gummint, no matter which Party is in charge. But the current hodge-podge non-system is a cluster-flop.
(LOUD start: )

https://youtu.be/WGzR3h67pg8

IDK what tier 2 is but apparently it doesn't allow my brand name drug at all so I will probably pay out of pocket. As for the others they are cheap enough I guess but IDK. I don't relish the idea of changing pharmacies every year. (I picked the 2 closest and they are vastly different in price). My current ins seems far better than this. Just a little surprised, don't mind me.

Last edited:
Although I am now 70 and have been on Medicare for just over 5 years, I have never had a Medicare Part D Prescription plan. It hasn't been that big of an issue as I obtain my medical care via the Veteran's Administration which counts as Creditable Coverage so I will not be liable for late enrollment penalties.

I am thinking about enrolling in the Wellcare Value plan this year as my premium would only be 0.50 monthly and would not really use it for my maintenance meds as I get them free from the VA. They are minimum generics for Cholesterol and blood pressure so would be free under the Wellcare plan anyway.

My major issue is that since I don't have a part D plan I have to use the VA for Covid, flu and other immunizations which are provided free under Medicare. That's really a pain in the backside as my VA clinic is 15 miles away and low volume so sometimes I can get it there and sometimes I have to go to the Regional Hospital (Atlanta) which is a nightmare in it's own right. It's about 30 miles away with extreme parking issues while Kroger is less than a mile away.

Total Wellcare plan cost is only $6.00 for the year but I was wondering is any others are in this situation and is it worth the hassle of yet another Medicare plan to maintain. Then again, maybe I'm just over thinking it..

Although I am now 70 and have been on Medicare for just over 5 years, I have never had a Medicare Part D Prescription plan. It hasn't been that big of an issue as I obtain my medical care via the Veteran's Administration which counts as Creditable Coverage so I will not be liable for late enrollment penalties.

I am thinking about enrolling in the Wellcare Value plan this year as my premium would only be 0.50 monthly and would not really use it for my maintenance meds as I get them free from the VA. They are minimum generics for Cholesterol and blood pressure so would be free under the Wellcare plan anyway.

My major issue is that since I don't have a part D plan I have to use the VA for Covid, flu and other immunizations which are provided free under Medicare. That's really a pain in the backside as my VA clinic is 15 miles away and low volume so sometimes I can get it there and sometimes I have to go to the Regional Hospital (Atlanta) which is a nightmare in it's own right. It's about 30 miles away with extreme parking issues while Kroger is less than a mile away.

Total Wellcare plan cost is only $6.00 for the year but I was wondering is any others are in this situation and is it worth the hassle of yet another Medicare plan to maintain. Then again, maybe I'm just over thinking it..

It might be a good idea to check with your VA health insurance to see if Part D would then become primary prescription coverage so you can decide if that is something you do or do not want.

Be aware that I read the other day some shots are covered by part b and not d. I'm sure there are other places to confirm this but I thought it interesting.

"Part D plans must include most commercially available vaccines on their formularies, including the vaccine for shingles (herpes zoster). The only exceptions are flu, pneumonia, hepatitis B, and COVID-19 vaccinations, which are covered by Part B. As of January 2023, all Medicare-covered vaccines should be free to you."

https://www.medicareinteractive.org...care-part-d-costs/part-d-covered-vaccinations

Just got a flyer from Humana Wallmart Value Plan.

It's going from $34 a month to $54 a month! I need to do some homework!! Open to any suggestions.

Be aware that I read the other day some shots are covered by part b and not d. I'm sure there are other places to confirm this but I thought it interesting.

]

Thanks - I took another look at this and found that I was mistaken on the coverage as Part B covered the immunizations I was looking at. I'm not a big health care user and usually just blindly go to the VA or a local pharmacy for what I need. Looks like I "misremembered" how immunization coverage works on Medicare. That's the socially correct way of saying I have no idea what the heck I'm talking about.

Go to https://www.medicare.gov/

Put in your prescriptions, if needed (mine were there already), and do a search.

Thanks. This is what I needed. My initial searches just ended up with 'sponsored' sites that want someone to call me.

Now I see there is a $545 deductible. IIRC that is only for special drugs not generics. I don't remember needing to reach a deductible in years past. Or, once again, am I misremembering?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom