Colonoscopy

I'm 60 and on the 5 year plan. Need to get it done for the 3rd time real soon.

Question for all the 2 or 3 timers-did you have to pay any $ out of pocket?

my first one was 5 years ago... found 1 polyp. Just had my second.. none found :dance:

The prep is not fun, but not really that bad. It works exceptionally fast for me. I was just hoping the nothing would be found. We had a friend our kids who when through colon cancer in the last couple years... In his late 20's.

Before I went in I heard a doctor giving the results to another patient. "everything looks fine. found a few polyps. We'll get back with you within a week on the pathology"
While that may be good news, I preferred the "every thing looks normal, no polyps." Unfortunately I am still on the 5 year plan.

I've had 2. They found polyps on the first one, none on the second. I didn't have to pay for either one. I, too, am on the 5-year plan.

Like a prostate biopsy.

My first two were without anesthesia, and I would rate them as the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever had (although not especially painful).
The next two were with anesthesia, and a piece of cake.

I am fortunate so far to have been spared that one.

As I have said before, as we grow older, we get more and more chances to go through procedures and treatments like that. People will remember their colonoscopy fondly, and wish everything could be so benign.

"Old age is no place for sissies." Bette Davis

I specifically asked and they just told me not to drive. There were okay with my playing golf. I don't think they got to my intestines? difficult to tell since I was passed out on my side lol

I was just really surprised after the instructions we received. I am not a doctor.

Anesthesia did not affect me that badly, and I had general anesthesia all 3 times, and two different types.

Can't remember the names, but with one, I soon forgot what happened immediately after waking up and putting on my clothes. The only lasting memory was from the time I walked out with my wife's help. With the other type, which is newer, it was no different than waking up from a sleep. I remembered everything from the moment I woke up.

With either type, after the 30-minute drive that my wife took me home, the drowsiness was gone, and the rest of the day felt just normal, although I stayed home and did not do anything that could be hazardous.

Also had a sigmoidoscopy which I chose the option to stay fully awake. Ugh! That was a bit uncomfortable.

Last edited:

If they are coded correctly where they have found polyps before and you are not on medicare... it will be considered surveillance which is diagnostic and you should end up paying the agreed upon rates. If they code it as preventative, then you may luck out.

Look at your insurance guild lines for care.

I'm wondering, for those on Medicare, does Medicare cover 100% of the cost?

Does it make a difference if you have it done at a hospital or a center that specializes in colonoscopies?

omni

For those interested in avoiding the small but life-threatening risks of the colonoscopy procedure (punctured colon--it happens!), the good news is that the US Preventative Services Task Force has just come out (JAMA, June 2016) with recommendations that say, for screening, annual fecal blood testing is as good as colonoscopy (and it's a lot cheaper/easier/safer). I think that once one of the screening methods finds evidence of a problem, then you are going to be stuck with colonoscopy.

No doubt your doctor might not agree that non-invasive screening is equally good, but consider that might be based on personal opinion, tradition, or his/her lifestyle needs.

The important thing is to make your choice (about screening options) and do it. Colon cancer is NOT something you want to die from...as anyone who has had a friend or relative die from this disease knows all too well.

From the JAMA article (link at bottom):

Evidence Review The USPSTF reviewed the evidence on the effectiveness of screening with colonoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, computed tomography colonography, the guaiac-based fecal occult blood test, the fecal immunochemical test, the multitargeted stool DNA test, and the methylated SEPT9 DNA test in reducing the incidence of and mortality from colorectal cancer or all-cause mortality; the harms of these screening tests; and the test performance characteristics of these tests for detecting adenomatous polyps, advanced adenomas based on size, or both, as well as colorectal cancer....

Findings The USPSTF concludes with high certainty that screening for colorectal cancer in average-risk, asymptomatic adults aged 50 to 75 years is of substantial net benefit. Multiple screening strategies are available to choose from, with different levels of evidence to support their effectiveness, as well as unique advantages and limitations, although there are no empirical data to demonstrate that any of the reviewed strategies provide a greater net benefit. Screening for colorectal cancer is a substantially underused preventive health strategy in the United States.

Screening for Colorectal Cancer:**US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement | Jun 21, 2016 | JAMA | JAMA Network

If they are coded correctly where they have found polyps before and you are not on medicare... it will be considered surveillance which is diagnostic and you should end up paying the agreed upon rates. If they code it as preventative, then you may luck out.

Look at your insurance guild lines for care.

I lucked out. This was my 3rd, history of polyps but new insurer. I was asked to pay up front for the doc and the facility, which totaled about $1,000. I later got notices that the insurance paid in full. I don't know why but I'm not complaining. The doc and facility fees were refunded to me.

... for screening, annual fecal blood testing is as good as colonoscopy (and it's a lot cheaper/easier/safer)....

I guess you've never seen me attempt my annual fecal blood test. It may be cheaper. But, easier and safer?--not the way I do it. However, I must admit, it is an awful lot of fun. And, it allows me to be creative. I never do it the same way twice.

(I know, I know...this post is worthless without photos).

Like a prostate biopsy.

My first two were without anesthesia, and I would rate them as the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever had (although not especially painful).
The next two were with anesthesia, and a piece of cake.

I never understood why urologists (at least in the US) tend to do prostate bx without sedation. I guess it takes longer and increases costs. But most patients would certainly prefer sedation!

I lucked out. This was my 3rd, history of polyps but new insurer. I was asked to pay up front for the doc and the facility, which totaled about $1,000. I later got notices that the insurance paid in full. I don't know why but I'm not complaining. The doc and facility fees were refunded to me.
mine was new insurer, same PCP and different colonoscopy doc and facility.

I think you just lucked out with the ordering doctor coding is as routine instead of diagnostic.

I'm also on the five-year plan but about a year+ overdue because I'm on an anti-coagulant drug for the afib. I'll find out tomorrow if I can go off it (hopefully!) because I haven't had any events of afib since the cardiac ablation last March.

Like others, the prep is the worst part, the procedure is taking a nap and the rest of the day off.

Same thing happened to us. New insurer. Even though the colonoscopy (DH) was ordered based on some symptoms and it had only been 7 years with the prior one, we paid up a downpayment up front for the facility telling them we would pay the balance when we got the EOB from the insurance company. But the insurance company paid in full even though it was obviously diagnostic, and told DH he owed the facility nothing, so we got our "downpayment" back from the facility.

I think it was only the facility fees that were covered completely. We got a different notice regarding the doctor's fee.

Next time he's due he'll be on Medicare.

I had one about 7 years ago and no polyps. I would do the fetal test but I have hemorrhoids that sometimes bleed so not sure if that is even worth doing. As we age our lining thins so it is more likely to puncture. A friend of mine just had her last one at 70.

I had one about 7 years ago and no polyps. I would do the fetal test but I have hemorrhoids that sometimes bleed so not sure if that is even worth doing. As we age our lining thins so it is more likely to puncture. A friend of mine just had her last one at 70.

I didn't know you were pregnant! :D

Yeah that would be a miracle at 62:)) I would be rich!!!

The fetal test is a newly developed procedure, still in its embryonic stage.

Back
Top Bottom