Colonoscopy & Endoscopy at same time??!!

Ditto what Sojourner wrote above.

I just had the double procedure a few weeks ago. Before having me turn on my side, and putting me out, my last words were, "make sure I'm out and make sure I wake up." That's the last I remember. Before I knew it, I was being discharged. Really, these are painless procedures once you are knocked out. (I've also had both done separately in the past, though it was a partial knock out for the 2 other endo procedures, though I didn't feel anything or remember much).

So, rest assured, you are stressing yourself out. You won't feel a thing other than a sore throat a day or so later that lasts a few days. Other than that, you won't even know the procedures were done.

"If you're still thinking of canceling, just know that you're playing "Russian roulette" with your health based on irrational anxiety and unfounded fears. Instead of letting this runaway, catastrophic thinking take over, you should step back and take a calm, rational, thoughtful look at the situation, and then ask yourself which is worse: having to endure some anxiety for a few days about an impending medical procedure, or letting a potentially serious (or even fatal) health problem go undiagnosed and untreated". This is the best advice ever!!!

The point I was trying to make is that the Doc won't be jamming anything down your throat. Do you really think that's what they do? And, by the way, you can call it a hose, but it might be more helpful and accurate if you called it a tube.

It might also be helpful to you if you chose you words more carefully and accurately.

note: emphasis by redduck

OMG dude, seriously? Geesh.

Yes, I was serious. But, maybe I missed something. So, if you could help me out here, maybe I'll learn something.

...snip.. all good stuff.

If you're still thinking of canceling, just know that you're playing "Russian roulette" with your health based on irrational anxiety and unfounded fears. Instead of letting this runaway, catastrophic thinking take over, you should step back and take a calm, rational, thoughtful look at the situation, and then ask yourself which is worse: having to endure some anxiety for a few days about an impending medical procedure, or letting a potentially serious (or even fatal) health problem go undiagnosed and untreated.

+1000

My eldest sister was scared of a colonoscopy so she didn't. She did keep her appointment with the surgeon who removed 6" of her colon after she was diagnosed with cancer.

Wait a sec - I thought you were entirely "out" with Propofol for the Endoscopy, but it sounds like at least one or two of you were awake and fully aware of what was going on when they jammed the hose down your throat?!!!!

This is by far my greatest fear. I want to be 100% COMPLETELY OUT when they put that thing in my mouth so that I don't gag my guts out or (worse) throw up from gagging WITH the hose in (can't imagine how horrid that would be). Is that not the way they do it?

I swear that entire scene is something out of a nightmare (or, alien abduction :) ). I can't even fathom being awake for that. It's seriously one of my greatest fears.

Thinking of cancelling. I am FREAKING OUT and going to need heavy Valium or something comparable for the next 7 days to even begin to get through this. Anxiety level is through the roof.

I've had numerous endoscopies and colonoscopies all with the same GI doc. In every case - even before he began using propofol - I was out of it for the entire procedure. You should talk to your doctor about this. IMHO there is no reason you should feel discomfort at any stage of these procedures.

So, I called the GI's office and confirmed that I should be out for the entire procedure..

Convincing myself I "have" to do this so that I can go into ER at the beginning of 2019 confident that I'm healthy and that there's not anything seriously wrong. Also want DW to be able to RE and she's been holding off since she wants to wait until we're 100% sure just in case we need the good corporate HC..I figure I'm doing it as much for her as I am for me..

Appreciate all the responses and the help. The shared experiences are hugely helpful..

Thinking of cancelling. I am FREAKING OUT and going to need heavy Valium or something comparable for the next 7 days to even begin to get through this. Anxiety level is through the roof.

Cancelling is not a good idea. I'm pretty sure that esophageal cancer or colon cancer is much worse.

Cancelling is not a good idea. I'm pretty sure that esophageal cancer or colon cancer is much worse.

+1 on canceling being a bad idea. The docs never would have diagnosed my situation without both procedures. Turned out to be a ruptured appendix. Mine was contained in a phlegmon (abcess) that was not noticeable until the endoscopy/colonoscopy. My appendix was infected to the point that it was oozing into my colon. They couldn't remove my appendix laparoscopically immediately because of the degree of infection. They treated it with antibiotics until the infection went down and then did a laparoscopic appendectomy. I would have been in bad shape if I had not had the procedures - the infections could have spread all over.

Thanks again for all the help..I've decided to go ahead and do both (gulp) as Dr. has recommended.

Will be good to know if I'm good to go (and RE come Jan 2) or if there are any issues that need to be addressed. We've known too many other people (some in our immediate family) that have developed unexpected HC problems in their 50s and 60s. So worth any / all stress and anxiety to make sure all is good.

Have convinced myself that I won't know anything with the Propofol. Had that some years ago for a dental extraction and literally went from feeling the needle in my arm to waking up in recovery and not remembering a single other thing. Hoping for a repeat of that experience. Will let you guys know how it goes..

That Propofol stuff makes it so you won't be aware of ANYTHING.

Would appreciate any advice or experiences you guys have had..my anxiety level is so far off the map I can't describe it. If I don't cancel it'll be a miracle..appt is one week out so it is truly time to panic..

Colonoscopy is about Prep. So you don't get rescheduled, make sure you prepare for it properly. I was out cold during the procedure and I swear it was the best nap I'd had in a long time. I say that somewhat jokingly considering the procedure, but I literally did not remember a thing after the doc said, you will be out in 30seconds.:D

Could anyone provide more detail on the statement -eat light for a few days before. Light on calories or on type of food?

Could anyone provide more detail on the statement -eat light for a few days before. Light on calories or on type of food?

It’s best to do more research for details.

Nothing red or purple.

Very low fiber food. Think chicken noodle soup. White rice. Soft cooked veggies. Avoid raw fruits and veggies, seeds, peels, whole or chopped nuts.

Basically you want to eat stuff that digests easily and can pass through your system quickly before the 24 hour liquid fast and finally the purge.

https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/html/public/specialties/gastroenterology/colon-diet

Last edited:
The less you have in the system, the easier it is to get what's left out. :)

Starting 24 hours before The Purge, my doc had me on a broth, honey, Sprite diet. I modified it to Mt. Dew to get some caffeine. Every doc is different on this last day. I found this all clear liquid diet worked well. However, I also found it to be the worst part. I like my solid food.

The advice of no red, purple, seeds, peels, stringy stuff is very good and critical. I did that 2 days before the liquid only day.

P.S. NO MILK on the liquid day, including in any coffee or tea. It turns into cottage cheese, which will not make your GI doc happy.

Last edited:
While your doc may not concur with me, it makes it a lot better to chase the prep drink with beer. The prep drink tastes strange (not terrible, but not good either). Just make it a light beer like a lager or pilsner.

I had both done at same time since I was having a stomach pain, turned out I had an ulcer the endoscopy confirmed. Had a colonoscopy scheduled, so Dr added the endoscopy. Knocked out and slept through both. The endoscopy was first and did have me awake during the initial room work before actual procedure, but once the meds administered I was out.

Make sure you talk with your doc about any OTC meds you take also.

I ate light the week prior, low carbs etc, not a lot of fast food. I also ate a little less subconsciously knowing the less I ate the less I had to get rid of in the end.

Two days before the procedure I went to all clear liquid diet. I drank my last glass of Milk and downed an entire package of saltines the night before. Then It was chicken broth, water before I started the cleansing drinks.

That worked perfectly I didn't have anything left in me about an hour before I left to drive to appointment. Had no urge to go to bathroom and the procedure (colon) was over in less than 30minutes.

Hey, gang. Happy to report that I did go ahead with this even though I was still pretty (OK, completely) freaked out by the whole concept.

Turned out to be absolutely no big deal. They told me I could get something (turned out to be Versed) in my IV to calm me down a bit, so I took it. THEN once I was pretty mellow, they wheeled me down to the room where they do the actual "procedures". Put the little plastic thing in my mouth (for the Endo), started the IV with the Propofol, and next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery. Did not feel a thing, though DW told me I didn't like them pulling off the heart monitor leads as it took some hair with it..I apparently yelled pretty loudly but have absolutely no memory of that or anything else.

So, all that worry and anxiety for nothing.

Appreciate you guys sharing your experiences and talking some sense into me! If you ever need to do this (or either one separately), might be worth checking into what kind of drugs they will give you. That combo worked amazingly for me..

There is what you call 'conscious sedation' with a medication called Versed, and then there is Propofol. Versed kind of knocks you down, Propofol is like being dead to the world. They could take a chainsaw to you and you wouldn't know it. That said, there is a very small percentage of people who Propofol puts into a paralytic state, but they can feel everything. I'm 99.9% sure you don't fall in this category. Hope that helps...LOL. OK...you will be fine.

Getting a colonoscopy & EGD at the same time makes a lot of sense.f there's a problem in your system, this should find it.

I've done colonoscopies with sedation, & it's no big thing, but the EGD does require that you be a bit "out of it."

Ken

Hey, gang. Happy to report that I did go ahead with this even though I was still pretty (OK, completely) freaked out by the whole concept.

Turned out to be absolutely no big deal. They told me I could get something (turned out to be Versed) in my IV to calm me down a bit, so I took it. THEN once I was pretty mellow, they wheeled me down to the room where they do the actual "procedures". Put the little plastic thing in my mouth (for the Endo), started the IV with the Propofol, and next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery. Did not feel a thing, though DW told me I didn't like them pulling off the heart monitor leads as it took some hair with it..I apparently yelled pretty loudly but have absolutely no memory of that or anything else.

So, all that worry and anxiety for nothing.

Appreciate you guys sharing your experiences and talking some sense into me! If you ever need to do this (or either one separately), might be worth checking into what kind of drugs they will give you. That combo worked amazingly for me..

Most importantly, hope whatever issue prompted the tests is now resolved for you!

Appreciate you guys sharing your experiences and talking some sense into me! If you ever need to do this (or either one separately), might be worth checking into what kind of drugs they will give you. That combo worked amazingly for me..[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Congrats on the good news. Now it will be easier in the future. Keep it up per doc’s orders. The alternatives are not fun.

Back
Top Bottom