Coronavirus - Health aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to be retired. Being a recluse is a great trait when it comes to these issues.

I will continue to sleep in, drink beer, and watch pointless TV. Amazon/Whole Foods can bring me food. :) I feel very bad for my Air Force buddies that grew up to be airline pilots. I wouldn't want to be stuck on these flying petri dishes for all the money in the world.

Hey, I'm counting on my kid to do the above once they get tired of flying off carrier decks...who else is going to support me in my dotage?

Even 100 million world-wide wouldn't be much of a "culling" given 7+ billion total population.

True but the 1918 flu only killed that low number because it had trouble spreading, fortunately we have solved that with cheap world wide airfare, and high density housing since most folks have moved off the farm and into the cities. :facepalm:

It's good to be retired. Being a recluse is a great trait when it comes to these issues.

I will continue to sleep in, drink beer, and watch pointless TV. Amazon/Whole Foods can bring me food. :)...

Eh, has anyone figured out how to disinfect the food that will be delivered to his doorstep?

I wouldn't want to be stuck on these flying petri dishes for all the money in the world.

About flight crew, they are now given good protection. The pilot who was sent to Wuhan to evacuate foreigners was pictured wearing a hazmat suit.

0_Coronavirus-Outbreak-China-28-Jan-2020.jpg

And domestic flights inside China are now served by flight attendants like this.

23636718-0-image-a-18_1579528887729.jpg

As for passengers, many have discovered an ingenious way to protect themselves better than with a mere mask. They fashion a water jug into a head shield.

At least, one should wear goggles. One can get infected by cough droplets landing on his eyeballs.

3546c23826270dccc5a70cf47b951ac1-836386.jpg

Last edited:
I am prepared to lock the front door and not leave for a few months if need be.

I am prepared to lock the front door and not leave for a few months if need be.

30 days comfortably and 60 less comfortably here, as long as there is power and water. If things get really bad, you may need to defend your food and water from the hungry hordes...

30 days comfortably and 60 less comfortably here, as long as there is power and water. If things get really bad, you may need to defend your food and water from the hungry hordes...

My first instinct would be to feed my neighbors out of my stash (hope you like squirrel!). We are collectively a long way from civil disorder due to hunger or panic.

30 days comfortably and 60 less comfortably here, as long as there is power and water.
But how many carbs would you have to eat for that vs protein/fat?
Just curious. I would have been in good shape protein-wise when I used to buy a 1/4 cow but not now.

My first instinct would be to feed my neighbors out of my stash (hope you like squirrel!). We are collectively a long way from civil disorder due to hunger or panic.

Lots of squirrel, deer, possum, raccoons in my neck of the woods...though I've read that deer may be infected with chronic wasting disease (CWD) a "mad cow-like" disease.:(

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html
Once introduced into an area or farm, the CWD protein is contagious within deer and elk populations and can spread quickly. Experts believe CWD prions can remain in the environment for a long time, so other animals can contract CWD from the environment even after an infected deer or elk has died.......To date, there is no strong evidence for the occurrence of CWD in people, and it is not known if people can get infected with CWD prions. Nevertheless, these experimental studies raise the concern that CWD may pose a risk to people and suggest that it is important to prevent human exposures to CWD.

But how many carbs would you have to eat for that vs protein/fat?
Just curious. I would have been in good shape protein-wise when I used to buy a 1/4 cow but not now.

Aside from the full freezer? Beans, coconut oil, nuts, spam, canned/freeze dried cheese, etc. Plus a rat trap with a smear of peanut butter is a very efficient squirrel harvesting mechanism.

Current CDC update per website:

5 total confirmed cases in the US.
This is Unchanged for the past 3 days. - No new US cases reported by the CDC in 3 days.

Coronavirus - Asian males may have more ACE2 expressing cells

this VERY small sample showed that the Asian male sample has about 2.5 times as many ACE2 expressing lung cells than some others. Since these viruses kill by creating a cytokine storm, those with more ACE2 expression are at greater risk.

Hopefully it will turn out that these viruses are only highly lethal to a small genetic type.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v1.full
Single-cell RNA expression profiling of ACE2, the putative receptor of Wuhan 2019-nCov

MOD NOTE -- We will continue to merge any new Coronavirus thread into this one (except for travel plan changes), so don't bother starting a new one.

A reminder - please don't start new threads on this subject, we will just merge them into this one.

A reminder - please don't start new threads on this subject, we will just merge them into this one.

Take note, new threads may spread like the coronavirus. Please follow all PPE protocols and avoid new threads like the plague.

Sorry, the caffeine just kicked in.

Take note, new threads may spread like the coronavirus. Please follow all PPE protocols and avoid new threads like the plague.

Sorry, the caffeine just kicked in.

Conversely......avoid new plagues like a thr....

Just in case, stay out of the woods. I heard corona virus is related to lime disease. :cool:

Aside from the full freezer? Beans, coconut oil, nuts, spam, canned/freeze dried cheese, etc. Plus a rat trap with a smear of peanut butter is a very efficient squirrel harvesting mechanism.

I estimate I have at least six months of food. A couple years of wood to heat the place. A bigger issue is water (mine comes from a well) if power is cut - but a local spring isn't too too far. I also have at least two dozen 5/6/10 gallon containers plus 15 corny keys and star san sanitzer (safe for human consumption) to keep things sanitized.

I have to deal with squirrels every day with my bird feeders. I wonder if they know that they are possibly a food source for me. (Or the birds for that matter.)

My have-a-heart trap (which has caught squirrels and raccoons could also come in handy. As you mention, peanut butter is quite the draw (as is bird food).

A .177 pellet gun also comes in handy. I bought this eons ago for a possible SHTF scenario (the pellets are dirt cheap and relatively light, it is a air pump, and makes very little noise to attract attention). Since large game would be taken first, that leaves things like squirrels.

From the BBC (my bold):

A new study published by The Lancet medical journal gives a snapshot of 99 cases of the new coronavirus observed at Wuhan Jinyintan Hospital from 1-20 January. It reveals:

- Of the 99, 49 had been exposed to the seafood and animal market believed to be at the centre of the outbreak

- The average age was 55.5 years and most (67) were men

- Fever and a cough were the most common symptoms

- Seventeen patients developed acute respiratory distress syndrome and 11 of them died of multiple organ failure; 31 of the 99 had been released from hospital by 25 January

- The researchers said the infection appeared to be "more likely to affect older males" with additional medical conditions

- Of the 99, 51 suffered from a chronic condition (mostly cardiovascular or cerebrovascular)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51305526

the infection appeared to be "more likely to affect older males

Phew, good thing my penectomy is scheduled for this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom