CPAP since age 48. What’s your experience?

The bipap machine has generally made an improvement in my sleep. But alas, lately, I find that I just yank the nasal mask off in my sleep after 1 or 2 hours. I think part of the problem may be that I have a deviated septum and can't get enough oxygen through my nose. Whatever the reason, I am bumming that I am only getting a couple hours of bipap treatment, as opposed to 4-8 hours per night. I used to have no trouble getting 4-8, but now it's a rarity. And the nasal mask is so superior, that full nose/mouth masks and nasal pillows feel like a Darth Vader helmet, now that I've been using the nasal mask.

My sleep doctor has been of little help. Any suggestions?

If you suspect nasal obstruction due to a deviated nasal septum is preventing you from effectively using a nasal mask, you might consider requesting a consult with an otolaryngologist (ear-nose-throat). A sleep doctor evaluates whether you have sleep apnea or other sleep disorders, but perhaps evaluating anatomical reasons for sleep apnea is outside their normal scope of practice.

Fellow Dreamware nasal mask wearer as long as not suffering from sinus probs/cold (then to a full mask). Was diagnosed with significant OSA (dentist referred me to sleep study) while on active duty in Navy at age 46). My CPAP is MIA during the renovation-and I miss it!! I packed it in such a safe place I can’t find it! Grateful to have supplies provided by the VA. Definitely better sleep with it!!

My doctor has over 50 physicians as patients on CPAP in our town.

Those with sleep apnea choke in their sleep and have a much more chance of having open heart surgery. Their attitudes also change for the negative with sleep issues, and no one realizes why they act the way they do. Those with sleep issues can fall asleep at red lights, and they have substantially more car wrecks.

Over 200 lbs.? Size 17 or large shirt size? Snore loudly? Any of these and it's a good chance you have this problem.

Over 200 lbs.? Size 17 or large shirt size? Snore loudly? Any of these and it's a good chance you have this problem.

You’re right that those are some of the leading indicators. However, I am none of those things except the loud snore and I have a severe case, so there are other factors, too.

I thought of another thing, which is that before the treatment, I was convinced I was just one of those people who needed 9 hours of sleep per night. Now, however, it’s 6.5 -7.5 hours per night. This a.m., bam, wide awake at 5:30 a.m.

Question for all of you veteran CPAPers. I was scheduled for a sleep consult right when the pandemic hit, so I never went. What does the sleep doc do at the initial consultation? How does he/she determine if a sleep study is necessary? I know I snore and have occasional episodes where I probably stop breathing, but I'm rarely sleepy during the day and have never once fallen asleep in a chair, driving, etc. I think it's gotten better since I've lost 70+ lbs over the last couple years, but trying to figure out if I should reschedule a consult.

I didn’t have a separate sleep consult visit, my primary care doctor thought I may have sleep apnea and sent me for the test. Before the test at the sleep lab we did talk about what the test entailed, what they would look for in the results and how it would all proceed. I had mine in 2007, maybe they do things differently now but I had monitors on my scalp, on my face and chest I think, and a very strange one under my nose! And then they want you to sleep! But I did sleep and I did have all the signs of apnea.

I think the sleep lab sent me a packet of pretest info and instructions and then we talked about it all when I went in for the test.

I know mine involved a lot of wires, I’m hoping things are wireless by now.

Last edited:
Question for all of you veteran CPAPers. I was scheduled for a sleep consult right when the pandemic hit, so I never went. What does the sleep doc do at the initial consultation? How does he/she determine if a sleep study is necessary?

My primary care doc referred me for a sleep study when I mentioned I was interested in a test for sleep apnea. She asked me, "Why? Because you snore?" with a slight smirk on her face. I answered, "Yes, and my spouse also says I sometimes stop breathing."

So I arrive at the Sleep Clinic for my split study overnight sleep test. Unfortunately, I misunderstood the time and arrived 2 hours late at 11:00 pm. So the technician rushed me into the study room, plastered a bunch of sticky monitors on my forehead, temples near the jaw (for teeth clenching detection), lower jaw, throat, chest, belly(for paradoxical breathing efforts), lower legs(for leg movements), an audio monitor(to detect sleep talking), and a video monitor (to detect sleep walking.) In a private room, I lay in their bed and fell asleep in 20 minutes. She entered the room once to re-attach a monitor that wasn't picking up sufficiently. After monitoring for 2 hours, the technician entered the room, woke me up and said she saw enough. She fitted me with a nasal CPAP machine and let me fall asleep again. She woke me at 6:00 am and said it was time for me to go home.

At my request, the clinic sent me the results of the sleep study after my primary care doc had reviewed it and written an order for a CPAP machine at the parameters recommended by the sleep doctor who I never actually met, but who reviewed the sleep study and signed the assessment and recommendation. Diagnosis: moderately severe obstructive sleep apnea

I recall speaking to someone who was given a sleep study at home. He was given the monitors and instructions to attach and was able to sleep in his own bed. But the result was "non diagnostic," or "unable to determine." I think one problem may be if the patient dislodges an important monitor while sleeping, there is no one to re-attach it, and the study becomes incomplete or non diagnostic.

I thought of another thing, which is that before the treatment, I was convinced I was just one of those people who needed 9 hours of sleep per night. Now, however, it’s 6.5 -7.5 hours per night. This a.m., bam, wide awake at 5:30 a.m.

I had a similar experience. I always thought my optimal sleep number was 8.5 hours per night, because that is what I slept on non-w*orking days. But with a CPAP, I now seem to require only 6.5-7 hours a night to feel rested.

Question for all of you veteran CPAPers. I was scheduled for a sleep consult right when the pandemic hit, so I never went. What does the sleep doc do at the initial consultation? How does he/she determine if a sleep study is necessary? I know I snore and have occasional episodes where I probably stop breathing, but I'm rarely sleepy during the day and have never once fallen asleep in a chair, driving, etc. I think it's gotten better since I've lost 70+ lbs over the last couple years, but trying to figure out if I should reschedule a consult.

The first two tests I referenced in my opening post, which were by the Mayo Clinic and then a local sleep clinic, were done by loaning me a machine to take home. It was very simple to use, about the size of a shoebox with a sensor for my nostrils and another for my finger. It fed data back to the clinic and I returned the machine the next day. It seems to me you could easily and safely do this kind of test now. It must be effective enough, because Mayo Clinic.

About a year later, I did one of the on-site, overnight sleep tests referenced by others above, as my machine needed to be titrated. In that test, they gave me the option of using a bi-level or bi-pap machine, which is just as effective but more comfortable to me, because it allows easy exhalation. I upgraded and have been happy ever since with the treatment. The clinic still monitors the data my machine emits to them, and I monitor the results, too, with an app, and they have not asked me to come in for another overnight test.

My brother did an at home sleep study and it showed severe sleep apnea. He's been on a CPAP for probably 6 months, but is still having problems with it.

So, how in the world do you get to sleep with all of those wires hanging off of you? Do they give you something to help sleep? I've done a couple of 48 hour heart monitors and found it really difficult to sleep - even in my own bed.

Anybody have central sleep apnea vs. obstructive sleep apnea? Due to some other neurological issues, I'm probably more concerned about central sleep apnea - although quite a bit more rare.

So, how in the world do you get to sleep with all of those wires hanging off of you? Do they give you something to help sleep?

No, as a matter of fact, they ask you to avoid caffeine/stimulants or alcohol/sedatives for at least 24 hours before the sleep study. For anxious individuals, falling asleep in a strange setting might be an issue. But usually for the chronically sleep-deprived, falling asleep in a strange bed doesn’t take long.

So, how in the world do you get to sleep with all of those wires hanging off of you? Do they give you something to help sleep? I've done a couple of 48 hour heart monitors and found it really difficult to sleep - even in my own bed.

I had a difficult time sleeping in the study. The doctor had hoped to get a baseline number for my apnea and then test the CPAP on the same night but it took me so long to get to sleep I had to come back another night for them to calibrate the CPAP. The wires were a little annoying, but what really got me was a little red light where the infrared camera was to watch me sleep. I have a hard time falling asleep with any lights and that was enough to keep me awake until 3am.

They didn't tell me to abstain from caffeine and alcohol, but I'm addicted enough to caffeine that I'm not sure it would help or hurt I'd just have a ranging headache and be grumpy while not sleeping.

The wires were a little annoying, but what really got me was a little red light where the infrared camera was to watch me sleep. I have a hard time falling asleep with any lights and that was enough to keep me awake until 3am.

Ha! I'm the same way. When I stay in a hotel room I have to cover up all of the little light sources - including the one on the smoke detectors! I also have to have some kind of noise (fan, etc) and the pillows have to be perfect, so I bring my own. Sad.

CPAP has made a huge difference in my sleep life and my sex life. I want to say that the increased oxygen has caused a lot of Blood Flow, if you get my drift (in good ways without TMI). I use nose pillows and no more snoring. When I first started wearing it I was self conscious and thought sex would be less possible because of the contraption. However, when certain parts naturally easily become statuesque then it is like teen years all over again. No not while wearing the contraption. I was on a road of decline before CPAP.

They gave me a sleeping pill for the test.

Seems like that would throw off the results, so I’m surprised. I know that on the nights I have a few glasses of wine, I typically have many fewer apnea episodes vs. nights I abstain, which is when I typically have more.

Anybody have central sleep apnea vs. obstructive sleep apnea? Due to some other neurological issues, I'm probably more concerned about central sleep apnea - although quite a bit more rare.

I'm really an oddball here as I really needed a CPAP machine for sleep and now I don't. I had stage 4 throat cancer and my system was hammered, 'what is sleep?', DW said I snored a lot. But over a couple years I recovered enough and my incident rated declined and I now sleep without snoring. I have tried the machine a couple times in the last couple years and it made few incidents and no change in sleeping. So I just don't use it anymore and not because of discomfort or lazyness, I actually don't need it. People do have conditions that change and can change the need for a CPAP machine. If I need it again I will use it.

This made me look into my issue as I snore when I sleep on my back. I am thinking my snoring is called tongue snoring? I'm looking into getting something for it.

Back
Top Bottom