Dental...Need a Couple of Crowns

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In honor of the Olympics, I went gold.

Well, not for swimming or gymnastics or anything but I still feel worn out. Just came back from the dentist. I need two crowns. One lower (porcelain) and one upper (gold). Already have the temporaries in place.

Total cost about $2200.

Nice! I had three crowns this year but no gold, Each was $985 but one required a root canal that was another $921 (after discount for cash applied). Glad they are finished!

Easysurfer, did you go expecting to get that diagnosis or was it a surprise?

Easysurfer, did you go expecting to get that diagnosis or was it a surprise?

Have an exam and cleaning a couple of weeks ago. They already said x-rays had showed some tooth decay. Funny thing though is the teeth weren't hurting at all.

No I just hope that I don't have to favor the future crowns and start chewing more on my left side and I favored chewing for years before an implant on the left side.

Price sounds right and be happy the teeth don't hurt or you would be paying a grand more each to suffer the dreaded root canals.

Retired dentist here:

1. Gold is awesome. Never freaking breaks! I have a few gold crowns in my mouth.

2. If tooth decay hurts, the opportunity for early intervention, and conservative treatment has usually (as in almost always) come and gone. That's why they take x-rays.

Enjoy your teeth!

I've had at least 3 crowns put in. I expect to pay about $1300 each so it sounds like you got a deal. My dentist said the same thing, gold for teeth in back is superior.

Never have been offered gold, and I have mostly crowns - few natural surfaces left. They are all a very expensive ceramic called "zirconium," which my insurance does not cover.

Price sounds right and be happy the teeth don't hurt or you would be paying a grand more each to suffer the dreaded root canals.

I had 2 root canals and 2 crowns a few years ago right after I left my job...and insurance. The root canals were no problem at all. The prep for the crowns was actually more uncomfortable than the root canals. Maybe I just got lucky with the no pain root canals. I'm usually very sensitive to dentist work.

Retired dentist here:

1. Gold is awesome. Never freaking breaks! I have a few gold crowns in my mouth.

2. If tooth decay hurts, the opportunity for early intervention, and conservative treatment has usually (as in almost always) come and gone. That's why they take x-rays.

Enjoy your teeth!

My dentist mentioned that I had a decision to make. To pay more and go with gold or something more economical but not as durable. Really wasn't a choice as I like durability. Guess the gold isn't only for vanity :cool:.

My dentist mentioned that I had a decision to make. To pay more and go with gold or something more economical but not as durable. Really wasn't a choice as I like durability. Guess the gold isn't only for vanity :cool:.

I don't remember being given the option for gold. Mine are both ceramic. I hope they last a long time. They were very expensive for someone who is used to spending around $15K/yr.

Well, let me quit complaining.

The local rates for root canals and crowns are about $850 each. I found a dentist with a table top CNC machine that makes a crown in 6 minutes and they're about $685 each.

I broke a crown last week, and the oral surgeon charged $850 to dig the roots out and do a graft. I'm in line for an implant and it's going to be a bunch of $. Oh, well: It's just money.

I had 2 root canals and 2 crowns a few years ago right after I left my job...and insurance. The root canals were no problem at all. The prep for the crowns was actually more uncomfortable than the root canals. Maybe I just got lucky with the no pain root canals. I'm usually very sensitive to dentist work.

Don't feel bad about not having the insurance- most corporate plans max out after they've paid $1,500 in the year, maybe $2k for the more generous.

As a veteran of most types of major dental work, I agree that root canals are generally painless and crown preps are the worst. Having dental implants placed is the best. You forget everything from when the needle goes into your arm till you wake up!

I don't remember being given the option for gold. Mine are both ceramic. I hope they last a long time. They were very expensive for someone who is used to spending around $15K/yr.

Yes, expensive.

So much for spending very little out of my HSA. But for me, that is why I got a HSA in the first place.

I got my first crown at an Army dental clinic at Ft. Meade, MD when I was in the Navy. Was given the choice of gold or something else (porcelain?). Since the tooth was further back in my mouth and there was no charge anyway, I opted for gold. I still get compliments from dentists about what a nice job it was. Since then I've had several non-gold ones and never get compliments on them.

I got my first crown at an Army dental clinic at Ft. Meade, MD when I was in the Navy. Was given the choice of gold or something else (porcelain?). Since the tooth was further back in my mouth and there was no charge anyway, I opted for gold. I still get compliments from dentists about what a nice job it was. Since then I've had several non-gold ones and never get compliments on them.

Maybe they don't notice.
I have 2 white porcelain ones right in front, and until dentist/hygienist get inside and see the back of them in the mouth they can't even tell.

I just had temporaries fitted, like you, easysurfer, but was not offered the option of gold, so went for full porcelain. I just called them up and asked why. They said that they can do gold, but normally only offer it when there is not enough of an occlusion (of which I am told, I have plenty).

When learning that I'd need 2 root canals and 5 crowns, I purchased a cheap dental "insurance" plan with DeltaCare US for $135/year because, as well as offering 2 cleanings per year as part of the plan, and a few other things, like X-rays, the negotiated rates on other procedures saved me money over the uninsured price. My out of pocket cost is $410 for a root canal, $670 for a porcelain-fused-to-metal crown, and $820 for a full porcelain crown. I think I'll go with these full porcelain crowns, see how long they last, and then maybe do the gold thing in the future if my experience warrants.

I'm going to make full use of the 2 "free" cleanings per year, and pay for an extra 2, at $100 a time. I'll be getting a full cleaning every 3 months. I want to keep all my teeth and think that, in the long run, the extra cleanings might be cheap insurance.

I am a little envious of your upcoming gold crown though, easysurfer :D

Last edited:
For me, the gold crown will be on a smaller inner upper tooth which isn't as noticeable since in the back. The porcelain crown will be on a larger lower tooth which blends more with my regular teeth which I like.

For me, the gold crown will be on a smaller inner upper tooth which isn't as noticeable since in the back. The porcelain crown will be on a larger lower tooth which blends more with my regular teeth which I like.
Not keen on the "bling" look eh? :LOL:

Reading these posts merely confirms what I've always known...the charges for services of any kind in my area are way out of line with much of the country. That doesn't mean we necessarily want to move somewhere else, just that we pay a lot to live where we do.

With Federal dental insurance (~$720 a year) we pay $1300 for a crown. Mr. A. just got an implant and crown, and the total - with insurance - was over $3500.

Amethyst

Or you could go to Mexico and pay 1/3 of the cost. Our recent trip saved us a pile of money and I was very pleased with the cleanliness and no pain!

Back
Top Bottom