Dukan Diet anyone?

I've converted to a mostly "paleo" or "caveman" diet over the past few months and look at it more as a lifestyle change than a short term diet. I really wasn't doing it to lose weight, just to be healthier and I've dropped a quick 10 lbs and feel great.

At a high level, no grains, no dairy, no processed foods and eat as much lean meats and vegetables as you want. It takes a little work to convert from eating pizza and pasta and milk and cereal each day; but, so far it's working like a charm for me.

Dude, bong hits and Krispy Kreme. This has become my new favorite thread.

Maybe this is what the 1950's ads meant about "Smoking Marijuana leads to addiction", and they were saying that Krispy Kreme was the real hard drug.

Glazed eyes, and crystallized sugar on the lips = addict.

My weight is coming off slower than others. Am down 14.5 lbs in 6 weeks, but FIL had been in hospital last 10 days. So little time to cook, and too many meals out and at cafetreria. Hope to get back on track this week, but still happy with overall loss-considering. At least I did not gain! Do have another 20 lbs to go however....

For you wagon faller off-ers, there's plenty of room here on the Atkins and paleo wagons. We have nice fatty food on this wagon, and we're frying up some bacon and eggs right now with cheesecake and whipped cream for dessert.

When someone asked an anthropologist what cavemen ate, he said "The fattest animals they could kill."

Saturated Fat is Good for You - by Uffe Ravnskov MD - Part 1

I have managed 2 days of getting back on the Dukan wagon in the Attack mode and it's amazing how quickly the weight dropped right back down.

My fat storage is a circle of about 4 inch radius around my navel and if I have a couple of slices of pizza and a beer for dinner, I can see the fat the next day.

Gonna read that article because I really love fried eggs and bacon. Unfortunately I like them on bread slathered with mayo.

BMI = 21.3 today, at 180 lbs and 6'5", would love to get it under 21.

Three days back on the Dukan wagon and I've lost 3#. I'm never hungry.

I do miss 'munchies'. I bought several types of jerky, thinking that might help, but don't really like the sensation of chewing on shoe leather.

-------------

Today's NYT had an interesting article on eating fats....
"Scientists in California and Italy reported last week that in rats given fatty foods, the body immediately began to release natural marijuanalike chemicals in the gut that kept them craving more."

When Fatty Feasts Are Driven by Automatic Pilot - NYTimes.com

Good job Omni!

Keep it up BizLady....this diet does seem to work best when you can control
your total environment ~ what to eat as well as when to eat....

Zero ~ I can only hope to actually GET to where you are now....

Other than the occasional cherry tomato that I eat while picking 'em, I'm
trying to stick to the attack phase and as of this morning I am a pound under
my pre-vacation (4 dozen doughnuts!) weight....it is absolutely AMAZING how
quickly the weight drops off when you can stick to it!

I have also found that if I set small goals along the way, with a planned reward,
that I am able to focus better ~ my next "celebration" will be 11 pounds from
now....with my timeline goal being somewhere around the end of August.

Thanks again to all who are on the journey with me!! Keep sharing!!

I'm
trying to stick to the attack phase and as of this morning I am a pound under
my pre-vacation (4 dozen doughnuts!) weight....it is absolutely AMAZING how
quickly the weight drops off when you can stick to it!

Great job, VaCollector!!! Keep up the good work.

omni

Congrats to you all!
And, without being too TMI, this is the first time I've ever gone a month without gaining three or so pounds "like magic" at a certain time. I even lost weight! So that in itself is pretty amazing. I'm down almost 15 lbs in 15 days.

Did some whey protein powder with skim milk for breakfast along with our eggs. DH is getting a bit tired of the meat, so I thought this would add a bit of variety. We'll be sticking very close to the alternating PP and PV days until the 27th, when we leave for our favorite music festival. I will fall completely off the wagon while there, and enjoy myself thoroughly. :)

I'm down almost 15 lbs in 15 days.

Woo-Hoo! You go, girl!!!

I will fall completely off the wagon while there, and enjoy myself thoroughly. :)
Might as well, you're on vacation. And many of us have learned that the specific foods we need on Dukan are not always readily available when we're vacationing. Plus I found myself far more tempted when surrounded by all the yummy things that I don't keep in my house.

At least you now know how to get any weight gain back off quickly. :ROFLMAO:

omni

Fortunately, my summer retreat is a lake place in the middle of the boonies, so there are no HOT NOW signs waiting to grab me as I drive past. But I have been letting myself drink freely and I haven't been sticking to the Consolidation phase strictly at all. And I'm still losing weight, 3.6 pounds lower than my target now. I'm down from a BMI of 25.8 to 22, and had to buy a smaller bathing suit.

The lake place has a kazillion steps from the road to the cabin and then on down to the lake. I'm sure that helped. And I did take my Greek yogurt and oat bran along. And of course, protein cooked on the Weber is the best!

Congrats to the rest of you on your progress.

We'll be sticking very close to the alternating PP and PV days until the 27th, when we leave for our favorite music festival. I will fall completely off the wagon while there, and enjoy myself thoroughly. :)

I actually lost weight last year. Danced and sweated all the beer out, and mostly ate chicken-on-a-stick and salad. Of course, I didn't have an Argosy stuffed with munchies on hand.

Well, the Argosy is pretty well stocked with munchies. But yeah, we will surely be sweating out some poisons in front of the main stage in the hot sun together, Harley!

Day 6 of the Attack phase and down 5.7#.

I'm still impressed at how 'not hungry' I am. Yesterday, I had 2 eggs for a late breakfast. Due to a mid-afternoon dentist appt. and some other running around doing errands, didn't eat until I got home after 8pm. I really wasn't hungry, but Dukan says not to skip meals, so I had a burger then and a little yogurt with oatbran for 'dessert'.

omni

180 lbs and 6'5"?? Dang. I am 6'6" and 235 or so. If I was 180 I think I would look like a hunger strike victim.

I may try this. Stress eating is making me fat(er) and Atkins didnt work well for me last month. I think I ate too much ;-)

Day 6 of the Attack phase and down 5.7#.

I'm still impressed at how 'not hungry' I am. Yesterday, I had 2 eggs for a late breakfast. Due to a mid-afternoon dentist appt. and some other running around doing errands, didn't eat until I got home after 8pm. I really wasn't hungry, but Dukan says not to skip meals, so I had a burger then and a little yogurt with oatbran for 'dessert'.

omni

make sure you eat enough protein, if you dont you will lose muscle mass as well as fat.

I finally got around to reading the book, and I really was impressed by it. A lot of good information and I'm looking forward to trying the exercises he suggests. I also appreciated him extolling the virtues of walking. Anyone else tried the exercises?

The recipes also look quite good, especially the sauces, as we're getting tired of the same-old, same-old proteins and veggies with just herbs and spices.

I am planning a brief hiatus for this Wed-Sun, while we are at a music festival, where we will drink beer and eat some carbs, but DH surprised me by asking me to bring some of our "Dukan foods" as well as the light rum we've been drinking sparingly with no-cal flavored water every now and again.

My report is thus: we started this on the 27th of June, and in less than a month, we've each lost 18 pounds. That is just remarkable to me. I am astonished at how easy it is to feel full and not anxious about food.

I made the galette for the first time today--pretty good, despite my not reading the directions to whip the egg whites first.

I am planning a brief hiatus for this Wed-Sun, while we are at a music festival, where we will drink beer and eat some carbs, but DH surprised me by asking me to bring some of our "Dukan foods" as well as the light rum we've been drinking sparingly with no-cal flavored water every now and again.

Back when I was doing a fair amount of backpacking and wanted the most bang for my buck, I used to carry some Everclear, which with a few granules of Crystal Lite made about as low a weight and calorie liquid buzz as I've ever achieved. Plus, it was always useful as an antiseptic in an emergency.

Me, I'm going to eat salads and chicken on a stick this year. I figure if I stay away from the corndogs I can drink a few extra beers.

You must provided proof of at least one corn dog consumed or it isn't Floydfest! Ask DH about ruining my stalking of Wm. Walter one year by handing me a fresh corndog while I was chatting him up! Aghhhhhh! Totally ruined what cool I was working!
Everclear...I remember vaguely drinking that in PJ more than a few times. And the old plug a watermelon with rum trick too. But drinking it straight flavored with drink crystals? Ugh!

My report is thus: we started this on the 27th of June, and in less than a month, we've each lost 18 pounds. That is just remarkable to me. I am astonished at how easy it is to feel full and not anxious about food.

Hello,

Ditto

DW lost 15lbs and I lost 13lbs in a month. Had family in from out of town last week and kind of got off track (drinking and eating out) but only put on about 2lbs each.

Really easy and really works. We have been eating a ton more fish, chicken and pork.

See ya,

W

It may not be fair to Dukan, but I'm a little disenchanted with the diet. If you read my earlier posts, I was actually losing weight with higher fat than recommended (yogurt, cream, butter, olive oil skin-on chicken).

When I tried to go low fat, I failed miserably. I never figured out how to 'dry-fry' the pancakes or eggs. I felt terrible physically, including feeling hungry all the time, and was foggy mentally. The most unhealthy part is that I would have put up with those issues if I continued to lose weight. I've since upped my fat intake again, and feel normal again. I also hate that it's summer and I'm missing out on local peaches and blueberries. So, I've decided to relax a bit on the diet, by moving to phase 3 temporarily. I hope this will be enough freedom to eat a wider variety as opposed to eating whatever i want and gaining all the weight back.

I'll end with a summary of my results thus far:

12/26/2010 162 lb; chest 38 waist 33 hips 41; size 12
5/2/2011 162lb started Dukan. Took no other measurements so use dec starting nos.
5/23/2011 152lb; waist 31 hips 39
6/13/2011 149lb; 36-31-40
7/15/2011 148lb; 34.5-30.5-39
8/5/2011 148lb; 34.5-31-39.5 size 8/Med

Wow, banister, it looks like you have figured out a way to adapt the diet to what suits you, and being a size 8 is pretty darned good. I think you have to do what helps you stick to the overall diet, especially if the additions are not affecting your maintenance of the weight loss.

I'm worried that you felt hungry, though, as that seems to be the one thing about Dukan that I can say--I eat whenever I am hungry and really have savored the fresh local veggies we can get right now.

I've been enjoying the recipes in the book, especially the salad dressings (I added some yogurt to the balsamic vinegar one, to make it a bit smoother). If I don't work to try new recipes, I'll wind up eating a couple of boiled eggs and turkey bacon every day for lunch, which is what I ate 4 days in a row this week!

We surely and truly went off the diet wagon for our 6 days at the hippie music festival, gaining 6 pounds each in the process. But, we started back upon our return and dropped those 6 pounds in 4 days. Happy days.

I've been on several trips recently and each one caused me to gain a few pounds due to airport food limitations and meals with friends. I eat whatever the host has prepared (an upbringing thing). But as soon as I can get back home and control my diet, the weight just drops right off.

I just restart the Attack Phase and consistently lose a pound a day. And I'm not hungry.

Just had some spicy chicken thigh meat sliced and put atop a bowl of Shirataki tofu noodles. Tasty and filling.

I'm happy to have discovered this diet.

Hi Sarah,
The only reason I can think of that I was hungry is because I wasn't used to following the diet as prescribed. E.g., I was used to eating two baked, skin-on chicken thighs. When I switched to following the diet exactly, I took the skin off and blotted any fat. So, I actually needed three chicken thighs to fill me up, but was still only eating two.

I'm glad the dressing is working out. I'll have to try it.

Glad you are hanging in there!

Back
Top Bottom