Eye Health - Something to "watch" for

My Father had glaucoma late in life, now I am approaching that stage, so I resolved to commence regular eye exams.

In Jan last year I went to an ophthalmologist and got the typical 'do you prefer this or that' type of refraction exam and then the physician looked at my eyes and said I was good to go.

This year, in fact today, I opted for a clinic associated with Pacific University. The intern spent a long time looking at my retina and blood vessels in my eyes and told me that they normal for my age, spotted a condition associated with cholesterol. She also told me that I had small seborrheic keratosis on my lower eyelid, that if I went to a dermatologist to ask about removal. She used a couple machines, one that measured my acuity and another peripheral vision. The student told me that the acuity measurement was a ball-park tool which she used to confirm my refraction exam of the 'do you prefer this or that' type. I came out with a stronger glasses prescription, advice about the selection of lenses, discussion about eye conditions associated with aging. I was frankly impressed with the student's medical knowledge and came away feeling well cared for. The student's eye evaluation was confirmed by an evaluation by one of her professors. If Pacific University's clinic is typical I highly recommend using a teaching clinic for eye exams.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom