Getting out of Advantage plan?

Murf2

Recycles dryer sheets
Please, help me help my sister.
She called today. She had a bad medical experience & is freaking out. She’s been planning to move from her home in Alabama and this this the last straw in her mind. So, she wants me to help her.

Some of my questions, in no particular order.

She has an Advantage plan and hates it. Can she go to a MediCare supplement plan if she moves to another state. She would not pass medical underwriting. Does this have to happen during open enrollment?

From what I can find, it seems she can IF the Advantage plan she is on isn’t offered where she is moving to.

How would a person find out if the plan was available before she moved?

Would having her talk to Boomer Benefits help her figure it out?

I’m leery of being too involved because it it goes bad, it’ll be on me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
Murf

I don't know the answer myself, but I was curious about your question and found this article, which might be of some help - https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes...-to-medigap-when-you-have-medicare-advantage/ - "But, sometimes, you qualify for a special enrollment period that grants guaranteed issue rights. For example, when you get a Medicare Advantage plan as soon as you're eligible for Medicare, and you're still within the first 12 months of having it, you can switch to Medigap without underwriting. The opportunity to change is the "trial right."

Further, if you move out of your service area, you can switch to a Medigap plan. Also, four states require Medigap companies to offer plans to those over 65 either throughout the year or during one month of each year. People in Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York have ongoing access to Medigap plans."

From what I can find, it seems she can IF the Advantage plan she is on isn’t offered where she is moving to.

How would a person find out if the plan was available before she moved?

You would find out by looking at the plan literature, looking at the web site or by calling them. This is the first thing you should do. If her Advantage plan isn't offered where she's moving to, they'll tell her and advise her she needs to move to something else. That's one fork in the road. If the plan is available where she's moving to, they'll also tell her and that sets up a different set of requirements for moving back to traditional Medicare. That's the second fork in the road.

Let us know. It's hard to comment without this information.

Here is a new video from an agent dealing with moving from MA to MG in details (#4):

My BIL just went through this. Moved to a state where his advantage plan was to a state it is not offered. He used Boomer Benefits and said it was a great experience.

Thanks! I realize my questions were a bit premature. I’ll be at her house in a couple days and will see what I can find out.

Thanks again!
Murf

You can easily go to the medicare site and search plans for the new
zip code she is moving to.
Oldmike

Thanks mf15. Yes, I thought of that. The problem is she seems to be so upset she would let the insurance issue drive her decision on location. Hopefully she will mellow out.
I guess I could start by randomly checking zip codes of possible moves.
I’m gonna have a lot of time on my hands. It will give me something to do. [emoji16]

I have no experience with this sort of thing. My feeling is, if it’s a major insurer they may have pretty much national plans.

I’ll see what I can learn.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom