Happier in retirement?

OP, thanks for the thought-provoking question. At 5 months in at age 54, I’m not really aiming for “happy”, which is more of an episodic, effervescent emotion. My natural, everyday wellbeing set-point is “moderately-positive”, which doesn’t seem to have changed. Some enhanced feelings I find in FIRE are:

Gratification, having achieved a 30 year goal.

Yet somewhat Emptier, because it’s harder to come by the little dopamine hits that one gets throughout a work day full of small and large accomplishments as part of a hardworking team.

Confusing, because I’m young enough that I’m a pioneer among my friends, causing me to doubt my decision sometimes.

Unsettling, in that sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with worries and I have to remind myself that we are following our careful plan and I should trust the process.

More Peaceful, because I’ve removed a lot of transactional and even toxic irritants from my daily existence that were part and parcel of the office environment. Several rough edges to life have definitely been shaved off post-work, so I have fewer things to provoke injections of cortisol each day. The road feels smoother.

Lazy: I can and do drink coffee and read until 11 every day or until I’m bored with it and then I get some kind of plan together for the day, which usually results in accomplishing about 1 tangible errand or chore for the day outside of meal prep. This week DW asked me, “How did we used to go to work all day every day?” I’m slowly becoming OK with that, which I assume and hope is a good thing.

And yet, Urgency to do the recreational things I’ve said I want to do while I’m healthy and physically active. I know I’ve given myself a gift and I don’t want to waste it. Ending the pandemic in 2021 ought to help.

I suspect from several comments above that a new normal will settle in but it’s going to take me longer than this initial 5 months. My well-developed “worker muscles” are still reflexive and strong. Looking back, I made the best decisions I could and would make them again if given the same information, so what else can a person do but follow their intentional plan and hope for the best?

Last edited:
1 month in I can definitely say my sleep is 100% improved. No more insomnia. Our move back home and combining 3 houses into 1 is not going as planned, so much slower than I hoped. DH tells me we have all the time in the world, I just want my house back!

Overall happy and no regrets.

In the mornings, I can sit on my deck and see alligators, dolphins, otter, ducks, crabs, fish and birds in the creek behind our house...or jump in our kayaks and join all of these critters.

These are some of the things that make me happier in retirement, but I was not unhappy in my previous life...just happier now.
Does your location need an update, or are you situated next to the local zoo?

Similar to my thoughts :LOL: I was wondering how he was seeing dolphins and alligators in Cincinnati, but then decided he must be a snowbird.

I have been retired six months now, by no means early (at 63), but earlier and in better financial shape than I ever thought possible thanks to this site and the folks at Bogleheads. I cheerfully affirm that the worst day of retirement is orders of magnitude better than the best day spent working.

I’m much happier retired than working.

When I was working my position paid very well and I enjoyed many aspects of it. It was very stressful though. Retiring on May 1, 2020, at the age of 56 was the best decision I ever made.

I set three goals starting out in retirement; (1) improve fitness and reduce my weight (2) support dear wife through her knee replacements and rehab and (3) spend quality time with Mom, FIL, children and extended family.

Making progress on all three goals and feeling so much better (happier) in retirement.

Thanks to a couple folks for pointing out my location needs to be updated. With the virus keeping our Hilton Head rental property vacant, we were able to spend the summer there in our rental property. Decided to buy a home on a tidal creek near Port Royal Sound, and we are now South Carolina residents. Still have a home in Cincinnati, but only there a small portion of the year. Selling the Hilton Head rental property next month so we can spend more time with the critters...

Decided to buy a home on a tidal creek near Port Royal Sound, and we are now South Carolina residents.
Ah, thus the kayak. I lived on a lake when I was a kid and across the A1A from the Atlantic in high school. College and job had me "inland" against my will. I think the endless distraction of boating would increase my happiness, which is why I'd like to do something like you: be on the water again.

OP, thanks for the thought-provoking question. At 5 months in at age 54, I’m not really aiming for “happy”, which is more of an episodic, effervescent emotion. My natural, everyday wellbeing set-point is “moderately-positive”, which doesn’t seem to have changed. Some enhanced feelings I find in FIRE are:

Gratification, having achieved a 30 year goal.

Yet somewhat Emptier, because it’s harder to come by the little dopamine hits that one gets throughout a work day full of small and large accomplishments as part of a hardworking team.

Confusing, because I’m young enough that I’m a pioneer among my friends, causing me to doubt my decision sometimes.

Unsettling, in that sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with worries and I have to remind myself that we are following our careful plan and I should trust the process.

More Peaceful, because I’ve removed a lot of transactional and even toxic irritants from my daily existence that were part and parcel of the office environment. Several rough edges to life have definitely been shaved off post-work, so I have fewer things to provoke injections of cortisol each day. The road feels smoother.

Lazy: I can and do drink coffee and read until 11 every day or until I’m bored with it and then I get some kind of plan together for the day, which usually results in accomplishing about 1 tangible errand or chore for the day outside of meal prep. This week DW asked me, “How did we used to go to work all day every day?” I’m slowly becoming OK with that, which I assume and hope is a good thing.

And yet, Urgency to do the recreational things I’ve said I want to do while I’m healthy and physically active. I know I’ve given myself a gift and I don’t want to waste it. Ending the pandemic in 2021 ought to help.

I suspect from several comments above that a new normal will settle in but it’s going to take me longer than this initial 5 months. My well-developed “worker muscles” are still reflexive and strong. Looking back, I made the best decisions I could and would make them again if given the same information, so what else can a person do but follow their intentional plan and hope for the best?

This is really helpful thanks. I’ll turn 54 next year and am seriously considering pulling the rip cord, but the worker muscles are well developed and I’m constantly second guessing whether it’ll be the right move.

I like not being on a schedule. I also don't miss those days that I woke up feeling like crap but still had to go to work. "Work" is a 4 letter curse word to me from now on.

I retired in the “Age of COVID”. I’m 6 months in. Overall I’m happier but of course travel restrictions keep us close to home. Not to mention I and the DW are caregivers to mom who has dementia and lives with us.
I worked for 45 years. No job was a career. It was a means to an end. The first half of my work life was in the retail business working with the public during “The Customer is King” era.
The second act was 20 years on the line as a paid robot building cars.
So yes, truly happy I made it to retirement with my sanity and not crippled.

Last edited:
Guess it is ...

Happier in retirement. Not that I wasn't happy while working, but happiness then was not 100% of the time. Now, in retirement, it has gone up to 100% and holding.

Am I happier retired? Well, I think that if I hadn’t left what I was doing, the odds of me having a heart attack would have been much greater. This year, partially because of Covid, and partially because our interstate move was finally complete late last year, some boredom has crept in. I decided to get a real estate license and dabble in that. Once I learned more about all the liability issues, and also after a certain tax raising proposition that passed in the election, I’m no longer sure that it makes sense. That said, I’ll probably go ahead and complete the licensing requirements, and when I have a few too many boring days, I’ll take a few days of RE temping assignments at the local new housing developments. Once the dark cloud lifts and we can travel again, I’m pretty sure the boredom will also abate.

But, one final word: whenever I get bored enough to consider going back to something like I was doing, I become physically ill just thinking about it. So, all the talk of boredom aside, yes, I’m happier being retired.

Anothercog: Am I happier 4.5 years after retiring at 50? Definitely. Although my job was fulfilling and I worked with good people, I have loved living my life for myself. Husband and I have travelled extensively, helped family and friends, and developed new skills. (It turns out that I am an abstract artist. I never imagined that that's where retirement would take me.) Even through the pandemic, we are glad we retired. But that's us, not you.

Will you be happier? That depends on what you are retiring to. What does life after retirement look like for you? Imagine that, and then compare it to your present life to determine whether it makes sense to retire. If you don't know what you'll do with yourself when The Man isn't taking half your waking hours, stay put. You'll hate it.

Sit down an make a list with your spouse or partner (if you have one) of what you see yourselves doing together, and separately in a typical week. Is that a better week than what you do now? That will give you much better information than the experiences of people who are not you.

So very much happier in retirement. And I haven't returned to a "baseline" level of happiness the way so many "experts" claim will happen. I have stayed happier!

And I was pretty sure it would be this way. I suffered from a lot of anxiety during my working years, but I was fairly certain that it was tied (perhaps irrationally) to employment and finances, even though my job was relatively stable. I didn't think my anxiety would "jump" and transfer itself to some other issue, such as health. And so it proved. As I drove out of that parking lot for the last time, I cast aside my anxieties for good.

So, my experience, and I can't be the only one, is that retirement drives the happiness meter higher, and it doesn't come down!

In retirement I have fewer headaches, more autonomy, less bullsh!t. Hmm, yes, happier in retirement. :)

Retired 10/31/20. Really enjoyed my job. Probably would still be working, but COVID made working from home far less enjoyable. MegaCorp gave me a full retirement with benefits which seemed like a no-brainer to take. I feel good about our decision, but know that when things improve (COVID) I will do something more productive. May be volunteer or paid, but I enjoy staying busy. Maybe I just haven't fully unplugged.
Happy, just a little bored.
Grateful and Blessed !

I wouldn’t describe it as daily jumping for joy happy but I would say I am much more relaxed and don’t miss going to work one bit. Even my most boring day is better than working for a company.

I do miss the security of having paychecks deposited into my checking account, though.

We retired ( me in September. 2018 and hubby the end of 2019)and moved this past February and a month later the COVID scares hit and it’s still been better than my working years.

My One Huge Regret ...

After spending 17 years of my young life receiving an education, followed by 42.5 years full time corporate, my primary regret is that I didn't (couldn't afford to) retire sooner.
Don't miss todays corporate bs scene even one teeny tiny bit!

Been retired going on 7 years now, sold our primary home in KS, have had 3 condos at Lake of the Ozarks, as well 2 homes in Ft Myers FL..... No regrets, FL residents, go to Missouri during the summer .... We like water and sunshine .... Life is fun retired

I have not read all the posts on this subject, so this has probably already been mentioned. I/we live in a 55+ community in So Cal. 275 houses. There are still a lot of people (maybe 20%) who work. some are part time. I ask them "why", they say they love their job.

IMO, we've been happier in our retirement. Our jobs were OK, but for us, there was always the stress factor. As a result, we live a less stressful life and that contributes a lot towards our happiness.

Been retired for 3 years and can't imagine going back the grind. I meet many people still working who can't understand how I put up with their imagined 'boredom' in retirement. Man people, get a life! Retirement is the best decision I ever made.

I haven’t had a night in nearly eight years where I dreaded getting up the next morning. I’m definitely happier!

+1

Not only am I significantly happier, my sleep is dramatically improved, I’ve lost 22 lbs, my relationship is much better, and I have these moments several times a per week where I am overcome by a powerful wave of gratitude.

For context, I’ve been retired for 3 years, and two of those years have been overshadowed by my younger brother’s terminal illness and death and 9 months of this pandemic, which has seriously diminished my plans as my partner is much older and at significant risk and my parents for whom I am the primary support are 85 and have serious conditions that put them at grave risk should they get Covid. Even still, I am so much happier and so full of gratitude. I liked my job a lot, I was well-respected and could have continued to work, but I am so grateful to my younger self for saving, investing, and living way below my means.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom