Having Purpose & Longevity

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
Having a purpose in life may be one of the most important factors in longevity:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/05/25/npr-finding-sense-meaning-life-linked-health

"This association between a low level of purpose in life and death remained true despite how rich or poor participants were, and regardless of gender, race, or education level. The researchers also found the association to be so powerful that having a life purpose appeared to be more important for decreasing risk of death than drinking, smoking, or exercising regularly."

I heard a man in say that each of us needs 3 things in life. Someone to love, something to do and something to hope for...

I think that's true. It reminds me of Victor Frankl's work on the "drive for meaning." He was the psychiatrist who wrote Man's Search for Meaning and founded a school of psychology based on the importance of meaning. His work was particularly helpful for me at one point in my life.

That's an impressive stat -- "more important for decreasing risk of death than drinking, smoking, or exercising regularly."

As with all correlational studies, though, we have to be careful about confounding factors. For instance, maybe people who feel no sense of purpose/meaning don't take good care of themselves, so it's a secondary effect rather than a primary cause. I don't know if the research addressed that.

Personally, I've got no doubt that a sense of meaning or purpose is important to longevity. If I don't feel like my life has any meaning or purpose, that is bound to affect my physiology on a basic level.

Outliving your enemies isn't a purpose?

Seriously, while I think it's great to have a purpose in life, everything I've read about Jeanne Calment seemed to indicate that she had none -- just floated through life not thinking about much at all.

I heard a man in say that each of us needs 3 things in life. Someone to love, something to do and something to hope for...

I’ve heard this, too. I actually reflect on it quite frequently.

In addition to meaning I’ve read about the powerful effects on longevity of social connection. Something to plan for intentionally during ER, especially if we relocate!

anyone here remember Steve Martin's character in "The Jerk", searching for his "Special Purpose"?

That is a wise statement I believe that would be good advise for all.

Seriously, while I think it's great to have a purpose in life, everything I've read about Jeanne Calment seemed to indicate that she had none -- just floated through life not thinking about much at all.
I don't think you can base things off outliers and exception cases. Calment also smoked. Would that lead you to conclude that smoking has no effect on lifespan?

Some Russian researchers are challenging her record longevity, claiming the daughter assumed her identity. The story ----

Calment’s longevity has since inspired a healthy debate among scientists as to whether she was just an extreme outlier or if humans really do have the potential to naturally reach such old age. But there’s another explanation for Calment’s record-breaking life that is now being explored: was it was built on a lie?
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/study-questions-age-worlds-oldest-woman-180971153/

Last edited:

She wanted to get her money's worth out of that apartment! :LOL:

Are we implying purpose conveys longevity? Both purpose and longevity correlate with good health. People in poor health often have few activity options, and thus they see no purpose to their life.

anyone here remember Steve Martin's character in "The Jerk", searching for his "Special Purpose"?

I sure do:LOL::LOL:

thanks for the reminder
all the other well meaning but high minded comments were getting me depressed for some reason

perhaps at approaching sixty, I still have a middle school sense of humor

may be we should have a thread about how a sense of humor, and what kind, affect longevity

I read that Calment might have actually died in her 50's, and that her daughter assumed her mother's identity (for whatever reason). Supposedly the daughter lived to be 99, but using her mother's birthdate she was 122 on paper.

I have no idea if the above is true or not.

Are we implying purpose conveys longevity? Both purpose and longevity correlate with good health. People in poor health often have few activity options, and thus they see no purpose to their life.

Exactly.

Implied conclusion: If you have a purpose in life, you're likely to live longer.

Also supported, my conclusion: People who are healthy are more likely to have a purpose in life and are more likely to live longer.

Which of these two women has a purpose in life?

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Ffa2aeab2-e650-11e6-a93a-4fa396e7e4ed.jpg

Last edited:
I see no correlation between health and purpose of life. Much of purpose can depend on family and faith. Also some live to mentor others which gives them purpose. I just don't go by the premise that if you're an overweight man or woman that you don't have purpose like the young fit lady below.

Or you can combine the two. Someone on the citydata forum commenting about what people do for activities in 55+ communities said that there are people whose only focus is on studying and applying science-based health for longevity.

Seems sort of circular. I want to live longer so I can keep studying about how to live longer.

Add to outliving our enemies, we should strive to live long enough to spend down our stash, and maximize our SS benefit.

And noting that

... having a life purpose appeared to be more important for decreasing risk of death than drinking, smoking, or exercising regularly...

we should add "while eating lots of Kobe beef and drink lots of Cognac" to the list of purposes.

Ah, throw in some cigars too, as it cannot hurt.

It worked for my younger sister. She got divorced 20+ years ago, her ex later retired as a GS 15 from the FAA. He was obese and the stereotypical hard-charging "type A" personality. Healthwise, the only thing he had going for him was that he didn't smoke. She told me that her "retirement plan" was to outlive him, when she would get his full pension and not just part of it.

He passed away two years ago, she's doing just fine, so it worked for her.:)

Is not working so much a purpose? Or a porpoise? Or a dolphin?

I have no porpoise. I just work and sleep and eat in between.

Exactly.

Implied conclusion: If you have a purpose in life, you're likely to live longer.

Also supported, my conclusion: People who are healthy are more likely to have a purpose in life and are more likely to live longer.

Which of these two women has a purpose in life?

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Ffa2aeab2-e650-11e6-a93a-4fa396e7e4ed.jpg

Clearly, #2. No wedding ring = No husband!

Another way to illustrate this stuff: People who have more birthdays live longer!

Back
Top Bottom