Healthcare in retirement

NoOneGetsIt

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi please direct me to the right string....

I am very curious what people are finding out abour retiring and healthcare. We now live in Oregon and I have a job but want to stop and can afford to if healthcare won't be outrageous. Please help thank you!

You can buy insurance on the ACA exchange and you may be entitled to subsidies based on your retirement income/family size etc..

There is a lot of information on this topic if you search this forum

I looked for good threads just now, but didn't find one that was basic "blocking and tackling" for someone entering the fray. You could search for "cliff", and look for subjects that say ACA or Obamacare.

Generally speaking, if you have after tax money (not in any kind of IRA or 401k) that will last you until you are 65, and you don't have "big" income items, then you're golden with the PPACA (as implemented today). Your living expenses will get paid out of your after tax savings, but you'll show little income (maybe some dividends, interest and capital gains). As long as your income remains "low" (under 4 times the number you pull from https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/federal-poverty-level-FPL/), you should get a very significant subsidy.

Thank you for all the posts. I did go to Healthsherpa.com and that was helpful. Thank you !

Just a number: Her Kaiser Permanente was $609/month in Oregon (mine was like $638 pre Medicare). Hers went to $701 in SoCal on Kaiser. We don't get any subsidies.

There are some hoops to jump if you want a Medicare Advantage policy (must have Medicare part A & B).

Providence offers a Medicare Advantage programs 2015 Providence Medicare Advantage Plans in Oregon. I just glanced at their plans and much to my surprise one is free (?!!) - didn't check their copays and deductibles but...

If you choose Kaiser https://medicare.kaiserpermanente.org/wps/portal/medicare/plans/explore/descriptions/nw you can sign up for their dental program only on the first enrollment (Kaiser NW has their own dental offices). They offer two levels of health insurance.

I have used both Kaiser and Providence providers and facilities in Portland Metro. Both are excellent.

Last edited:
am a little confused about ACA and Medicare. Will Medicare be there as a cheaper option when I get in my60s? I am in my early 50s now

Generally you can't get Medicare till you're 65. And yes, it's cheaper, at least in DH's and my case. We're in the Midwest and his Medicare B and Supplements run $350/month. I'm 62 and my private plan (non-Exchange) is $430/month but has a $6K deductible.

Thanks....do you know if it is going to continue or be phased out with ACA replacing all?

The ACA and Medicare are currently unrelated.

Medicare is for those over 65 and those who are permanently disabled. Typically Medicare covers 80% of your healthcare expenses, then you purchase a part B plan for the other 20% and Part D for prescription coverage, or a Medicare advantage plan which includes both. Your out of pocket expenses are much much less with Medicare, so high deductible plans are generally a non-issue once you reach 65. There is no deductible with Medicare part A.

Medicare will pay up to 3 months rehab, but nothing for long term care, which is not medical care.

The ACA insurance is for those under 65. My state does not have it's own ACA exchange. Subsidies kick in for us (two at 55 and one college age adult) for AGI over $70K. Of course the Supreme Court could change the game when it rules on the subsidies for those states without their own exchanges, but that won't affect us this year anyway.

It is possible to get insurance privately through places like esurance.com, but when I looked, my annual cost would have been $2-3K more.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

What EastWest Gal said.

Oregon uses the Federal exchange.

They tried and failed. Now the state is in litigation with the software contractor. Doubtless there were mistakes on both ends of the contract.

They tried and failed. Now the state is in litigation with the software contractor. Doubtless there were mistakes on both ends of the contract.

I noticed that after I posted my reply so I deleted it.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom