Hemorrhoids (ouch!)

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My recent colonoscopy confirmed I have "internal and external non-bleeding hemorrhoids". I have known I had them for a while but they have gotten more painful as I get older (almost 70) and since I have started riding my bike more. Things I have tried--all kinds of Preparation H ointments (not much help but I just ordered a new one with Lidocaine), sitz bath (this does help some but I have to do it frequently), adding a lot of fiber to my diet, stool softener (I have a tendency to get constipated). It is becoming a "pain in the a--":mad:

The colonoscopy doctor suggested I see a rectal surgeon but I have heard horror stories about hemorrhoid surgery and the bands etc so I want to avoid that if possible.

Anyone got any suggestions for me? Thanks as usual, I always get good suggestions from this Forum.

Here's some TMI: Google a yoga move called legs up the wall. Use the wall or your headboard. Dunno why but its helpful for many. I say more olive oil. A tablespoon a day at least. I've read that banding is a good option. Dunno. Feel better!!

More TMI: I grew up in a large family and I think the phrase was “poop or get off the pot”. Maybe this would help?[emoji854]

Do you have any weight you can stand to lose? Not implying that you do; just throwing this out there.

There's a reason pregnant ladies often get hemorrhoids. Extra pressure on the, er, area.

I actually had the surgery done. Mostly because I love traveling and when the life on the road became hectic I couldn't control my diet precisely and time the bathroom visits. So my hems would flare up just when I wanted to enjoy myself the most. Ugh... I took the plunge. It's not fun but it was worth it in the end - frankly, this is one of those things that once it's over, you're mad at yourself for not doing it earlier. Every case is different however and not all surgeons are equal so proceed with caution.

My only advice, based on watching my mother's struggles, is not to wait until you are too old or otherwise unsuitable for having them corrected.

I have heard from friends who have had the procedures in recent years that modern methods of permanently correcting them (banding, etc.) are much less troublesome than in decades past, offering almost immediate relief with little in the way of recovery time. If you explore the options and likely outcomes for your specific case with your doctor(s), assuming you have not done so already, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Of course, I just continue to deal with my occasional flare ups without even seeing a doctor about them.

A good friend of mine had an internal one burst a few years ago. Apparently, this isn't particularly dangerous but can be painful and shocking to see lots of blood running out your...well, you know. The fear of something like this is probably going to drive my conversation with doctor once I start resuming regular physicals, post-covid.

Gastroenterologist here. Banding is a good option. As with all procedures, pick the person who does a ton of them with the lowest complication rate. The latter is often hidden, a major flaw in modern medicine.
Otherwise, don’t strain at BM (same with lifting weights). Agree with not too long on the toilet. Squatty potty may help faster evacuation. Miralax (or generic) is safe 1-2x per day and works by keeping liquid in the GI tract, softening things. Drinking more water does not help unfortunately.

For bicycle riding, I recommend investing in high-quality cycling shorts with gel padding. They help a lot.

I also recommend using chamois cream. This is the brand I use, but there are others. Greatly helps prevent chafing.

https://www.enzoscyclingproducts.com/chamoisCream1

I also had the minor surgery about 20 years ago and it was not bad.

Do you have any weight you can stand to lose? Not implying that you do; just throwing this out there.

There's a reason pregnant ladies often get hemorrhoids. Extra pressure on the, er, area.

Good thought but I don't think that is my problem I am tall and fairly thin. My father was also tall and thin and he had hemorrhoids--I wonder if it is hereditary.

Here's some TMI: Google a yoga move called legs up the wall. Use the wall or your headboard. Dunno why but its helpful for many. I say more olive oil. A tablespoon a day at least. I've read that banding is a good option. Dunno. Feel better!!

I do yoga and I know this pose but had never heard of using this pose for this purpose. I will give it a try, thanks!

For bicycle riding, I recommend investing in high-quality cycling shorts with gel padding. They help a lot.

I also recommend using chamois cream. This is the brand I use, but there are others. Greatly helps prevent chafing.

https://www.enzoscyclingproducts.com/chamoisCream1

I also had the minor surgery about 20 years ago and it was not bad.

I already use the gel bike shorts and have a gel bike seat but I have not tried the chamois creme, I will look into it. Thanks

Consider a toilet seat bidet attachment for a nice clean gentle rinse. This one has a front and back spray. It's very refreshing, no heat so it can be a little chilly in the winter. You'll save a fortune in toilet roll, just pat dry and if nothing else the reviews are hilarious. I've had this for years and it's great.
If it works for you then blow that dough and buy a heated Toto
https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-N...g&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_title&th=1

Gastroenterologist here. Banding is a good option. As with all procedures, pick the person who does a ton of them with the lowest complication rate. The latter is often hidden, a major flaw in modern medicine.
Otherwise, don’t strain at BM (same with lifting weights). Agree with not too long on the toilet. Squatty potty may help faster evacuation. Miralax (or generic) is safe 1-2x per day and works by keeping liquid in the GI tract, softening things. Drinking more water does not help unfortunately.

Doc I have sent you a private massage to see if you can suggest a doctor for me in the Chapel Hill NC area. Thanks so much

We have the Toto and it does the job. Keeping the Area Under Discussion clean is helpful against irritation.

Contrary to what some will tell you, the "dryer" attachment does not eliminate all need for TP, but does reduce it :angel:

Consider a toilet seat bidet attachment for a nice clean gentle rinse. This one has a front and back spray. It's very refreshing, no heat so it can be a little chilly in the winter. You'll save a fortune in toilet roll, just pat dry and if nothing else the reviews are hilarious. I've had this for years and it's great.
If it works for you then blow that dough and buy a heated Toto
https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-N...g&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_title&th=1

Miralax 1x a day at 12 noon. When you wake up the next morning, drink a steaming cup of coffee (1/2 cup) then run don't walk to the toilet. It is a great relief to start the day. Peppermint hot tea after every meal does wonders.

Last edited:
Get a bidet seat. Blot instead of wipe.

Yet more TMI: Metamucil. When I had my "H episode" I ended up seeing a good colorectal doc. He swears by Metamucil wafers and recommends eating 3 packs per day. He referred to them as "delightful". I wouldn't go that far, but they're not too objectionable. DW and I now call them "crap crackers".

Time to be a bit less flippant. My first warning, like the OP, was a finding of internal 'roids during a routine colonoscopy at age 50. I promptly forgot all about it until things started to hurt a few years later - then it steadily got worse. That initial H episode lasted for several miserable months and, while not life threatening, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Along with changes in diet I eventually needed a couple of rounds of particularly unpleasant injections to clear everything up.

Last edited:
DH found that a higher fat diet eliminated the occasional serious (multi-day) constipation that contributed to inflamed you know what. Had some bleeding a few years ago and a colonoscopy showed it was internal hemorrhoids.

Last edited:
I had internal hemorrhoids banded a few years ago and there was little discomfort. Not sure about external ones but they may be more painful to deal with.

Otherwise, don’t strain at BM (same with lifting weights). Agree with not too long on the toilet. Squatty potty may help faster evacuation. ......................

Just an idea to try.........I find that sitting on potty and straining seems to be counterproductive..........almost like you are closing a 2nd door while straining at the first. What seem to be more productive is standing and only pushing when it seems productive at which point you can sit.
Perhaps something to do w/ alignment of parts.

Last edited:
Yet more TMI: Metamucil. When I had my "H episode" I ended up seeing a good colorectal doc. He swears by Metamucil wafers and recommends eating 3 packs per day. He referred to them as "delightful". I wouldn't go that far, but they're not too objectionable. DW and I now call them "crap crackers".

Time to be a bit less flippant. My first warning, like the OP, was a finding of internal 'roids during a routine colonoscopy at age 50. I promptly forgot all about it until things started to hurt a few years later - then it steadily got worse. That initial H episode lasted for several miserable months and, while not life threatening, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Along with changes in diet I eventually needed a couple of rounds of particularly unpleasant injections to clear everything up.

Thanks--I am already taking Metamucil. I have to watch it though--if I eat too much fiber things get worse. 3 pack of the "crap crackers" per day would be way too much of a good thing for me!

Another cause of poor intestinal motility can be poor vagal tone due to subtle or obvious anxiety or other issues affecting the autonomic nervous system. I tend to be a subtly anxious, retentive type and find that making a conscious effort to be relaxed in the morning helps with regularity. There are other exercises for increasing vagal tone that may help as well, such as breathing exercises and gargling.

DH found that a higher fat diet eliminated the occasional serious (multi-day) constipation that contributed to inflamed you know what. Had some bleeding a few years ago and a colonoscopy showed it was internal hemorrhoids.

Interesting--I eat pretty low fat although I do eat meat. I have to watch my fiber intake--there is a fine line for me--too much fiber is just as bad as not enough for me.
Someone suggested more olive oil--I need to try that.

Back
Top Bottom