Hiking Poles

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hiking and golf are becoming my two main avenues for recreation and fitness.
I have not been able to do either for 8 weeks, having ruptured my achilles tendon in the right foot, 8 weeks ago.

I expect I'll soon be given the go-ahead to wear regular shoes (as opposed to the big boot) and to start walking. I am thinking I would be more comfortable and secure if I had some poles to assist me.

I am hoping someone in ER land might have some suggestions as to what to look for, brands etc?

Thanks,

Sorry about your injury.

Leki makes good light weight trekking poles. Cork handle is comfortable. Black Diamond are good also. Best bet is to go to an REI and try some out for feel and comfort.
If you do any significant hiking you will quickly learn to love your trekking poles. At least I do.

Go to REI and talk to the folks there. Many to choose from.

I like that mine are telescoping so I can pack them into a suitcase when I travel by plane.

I like that mine are telescoping so I can pack them into a suitcase when I travel by plane.

+1 - my REI poles are also telescoping - I have used them on several international trips and they have been a big help. Especially when climbing the uneven steps on the Great Wall :dance:.

I also got mine from REI some years ago and have been very pleased with them. Telescope feature is a must have :)

I love hiking poles and I don't care how dorky I look. They have saved me from stumbles a few times.

The funny thing is that I like my cheap Eddie Bauer branded versions with cork grip that I bought at Target better than the fancy European brand I got at REI. Funny. So, I have no advice on brand.

Of course, make sure the adjustments work well. Consider the type of grip you desire. I like cork, not everyone does.

Finally, my last advice is to learn to use the strap correctly. It isn't just there to hang on your hand if you pause. The wide straps can be used to help you develop a swinging motion with the poles that can work wonderfully. Learn proper strap usage.

We have some cheap MTM poles that came with our snowshoes. They telescope and have cork handles work well for us. Having extra contact is not optional for me with my balance issues. Only advice I have is get extra tips.

Dw has Black Diamond with rubber tips from REI. Don't get the bamboo handles. They get slimy with sweat.

I prefer walking sticks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.38.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.38.47 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
One of the big differences you'll see in cost is the weight. Carbon (light) vs. Aluminum. If money is no object, get the carbon. Otherwise, unless you are hiking long distances or for speed (some use poles in mountain trail running races), you probably don't need to spend the extra.

Either get the telescoping poles, or make certain you get the length right. Telescoping is nice to be able to loan your poles to someone not your size, for travel, and to be able to stash poles in a pack if alternating between rough terrain where you need the poles, and easy terrain where you don't. If you're just grabbing your poles on your way out the door for a walk, I don't know why you'd need telescoping. In fact pulling them out when using them is probably a pain, and you'd have to mark your setting to make sure you get it right.

Just saying, when people say you have to get carbon and/or telescoping, you need to understand why, and whether that really applies to you. Personally I would get both because of the way I'd use them (travel, racing with them, and stashing them for sections) but I'm not sure either is needed for you.

DW uses them and after some trial and error, she's concluded that the following are important:
- handle (her's is cork)

- weight (as light as possible while still being able to support your weight)

- ease of length adjustment since you'll change the length while ascending, descending.
- a place/means to strap them securely on your pack when you don't need them.

Either get the telescoping poles, or make certain you get the length right. Telescoping is nice to be able to loan your poles to someone not your size, for travel, and to be able to stash poles in a pack if alternating between rough terrain where you need the poles, and easy terrain where you don't. If you're just grabbing your poles on your way out the door for a walk, I don't know why you'd need telescoping. In fact pulling them out when using them is probably a pain, and you'd have to mark your setting to make sure you get it right.
I made a label to mark my normal length so when using it, I can easily extend it.

Here's where telescoping can be useful in real use: steep, constant terrain. I found the telescoping helped a lot when hiking the grand canyon trails. You make them longer going down, and shorten them coming up. Helps a lot.

Snip...

- ease of length adjustment since you'll change the length while ascending, descending.

+1000

That's very important for us.

Thanks for all of the tips. I didn't realize there were any REI stores around. Nearest one to me is about an hour and 15 minutes from my house, but only about 5 minutes from my orthopedic surgeon who is managing my achilles recovery.

Sounds like a visit is in order.

Costco typically has good ones for a very reasonable price ($20-25), but they only stock them in the spring as a seasonal item.

We have Leki black diamond micro vario. Easy to put in the luggage, but can’t carry on, unfortunately.

Thanks for all of the tips. I didn't realize there were any REI stores around. Nearest one to me is about an hour and 15 minutes from my house, but only about 5 minutes from my orthopedic surgeon who is managing my achilles recovery.

Sounds like a visit is in order.

After a trip to REI, you'll be posting to the "Blow that dough" thread.

If you travel, consider the collapsed length of the poles. DW uses poles and we found none of the telescoping poles that will fit in a 22" carry-on bag. What she has is a pair of poles with interlocking tubes held in place by a shock cord running down the middle: Komperdell Carbon Approach Vario 4 We bought hers on a closeout for IIRC about $150. I see them now on Amazon for $410: https://www.amazon.com/Komperdell-Carbon-Approach-walking-Compact/dp/B00AZL4GBS I am sure you can find some with this design for much less, though.

If you travel, consider the collapsed length of the poles. DW uses poles and we found none of the telescoping poles that will fit in a 22" carry-on bag. What she has is a pair of poles with interlocking tubes held in place by a shock cord running down the middle: Komperdell Carbon Approach Vario 4 We bought hers on a closeout for IIRC about $150. I see them now on Amazon for $410: https://www.amazon.com/Komperdell-Carbon-Approach-walking-Compact/dp/B00AZL4GBS I am sure you can find some with this design for much less, though.
Carry on: doesn't matter. It is a "NO" from TSA.

Source: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/hiking-poles

Carry on: doesn't matter. It is a "NO" from TSA. ...
Interesting. DW routinely carries her hiking poles on board, sometimes in her carryon but more often she uses one when boarding, then folds it and puts it in the overhead bin. Zero issues on multiple international trips. This year Vietnam, Myanmar, and Greece plus a domestic flight or two, for example. Other years, other places, again zero issues.

I routinely have a collapsed camera monopod in my carry-on bag. Same deal, zero issues, multiple international trips. That one is actually beefy enough that at full length it could be a weapon. The poles, no.

Possibly the cited prohibition refers to sticks that don't fold or collapse. I don't know but it is not real world for us. I don't think the OP needs to worry about this assuming folding or collapsing poles.

After a trip to REI, you'll be posting to the "Blow that dough" thread.
But at least REI has a great return policy, no questions asked, even if you've been using the product for a while and decided that you don't like it. I think you have to be a member, which is only $20 for lifetime membership and well worth it if you buy outdoor gear even once in a while from them.

I specifically went looking for such poles last year for DW. Found these at REI and they are great. Total length when folded is under 15 inches. $140.

https://www.rei.com/product/881626/leki-micro-vario-ti-cor-tec-trekking-poles-pair

I have telescopic Black Diamond poles and like them. Really solid.

Sorry about your injury.

Leki makes good light weight trekking poles. Cork handle is comfortable. Black Diamond are good also. Best bet is to go to an REI and try some out for feel and comfort.
If you do any significant hiking you will quickly learn to love your trekking poles. At least I do.

I also got mine from REI some years ago and have been very pleased with them. Telescope feature is a must have :)

Chiming in with the Amen choir here. That third point of contact is critically important on uneven terrain, they keep your fingers from swelling due to your hands remaining more elevated, plus you burn @25% more calories overall (as I've read on various hiking sites).

Since you are not backpacking but need these for general getting around there are aluminum poles with cam locks for extension at WMart for about $15/pair. They are still light weight and only a couple of ounces different than the more expensive poles sold in sporting good stores. I have been using these for 5-6 years. Walking sticks (poles) are far superior to canes. Canes put stresses on your wrists, elbows, shoulders and hips. Select how long you want to extend the poles that will keep you upright and comfortable. A typical starting point is when your forearm is parallel to the ground as you grasp the grip then adjust upward in very small increments if needed until you are comfortable.

As far as traveling is concerned I have taken national and international flights and either walked with them or had them strapped to a day pack as I carried them on board my flights. I never had a problem or was questioned about them.

However I always set off the alarms with the metal in my back and the metal knee. A couple of times I offered to strip if they really wanted to check but they really didn't want to see this wrinkly old man naked. :D

I have been recommending walking stick instead of canes for a couple of decades and have had to use them myself for about 6 years out of necessity. And although in past years I have backpacked in the Rockies, Himalayas, and Andes I find that my $15 poles do the job around town with a little hill hiking to work just fine.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom