How many pills in your daily schedule?

At 55, I am on two.

One for thyroid and one for cholesterol. Father died at 50 of a heart attack, so doctor wanted my cholesterol lower than it was (I was around 200). I tried to get it lower myself over 2 years with exercise....but it didnt work. I finally gave up and took the statin.

Also take B-12 and D3. Need to get a multi-vitamin back in....but those pills are so damn big. Same problem with calcium.... I need to find those chocolate and PB discs. I could force those down :D

I am entertaining the thought of glucosamine. I have trouble with one knee. Had surgey to remove a "floatie" and plica - but I still have pain. Doctor suggested glucosamine....but I seem to enjoy complaining more right now. I may have to give it a shot at some point, though.

Zero at age 57, but i wonder how long that may last, too.

I am seriously derelict at having tests (cholesterol was last checked about 15 years ago, as an example).

Feel great (beer helps). Hopefully. this good run will last. :D

I have taken vitamins, probiotics, Caltrate-D, when the mood hits....not in many months. Am visiting a locally-famous intuit this month for some minor ailments.

This was not the question, but a plant-based diet seems to take care of most of my nuisances.

Age 63. Currently zero, but just started taking a joint supplement (in liquid form) about a month ago hoping it will help my knee. Any testimonials for joint stuff out there ?

We both have OA, and take TripleFlex (Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM), which is expensive, and I'm not sure if it's worthwhile or not. Some people swear by/at it (DW included). A while back, I found this: Glucosamine and Chondroitin for Arthritis: Benefit is Unlikely

I went off of it for several months, couldn't discern any difference, then went back on it. Still no discernable difference. Still thinking about [-]it[/-] saving the money for my half.

I recently found this site, but haven't had time to peruse it sufficiently to tell how biased it may or may not be: Buyers Guide to Joint Supplements

Tyro

I currently take 15 pills a day and was wondering how I compare with others.
Prof12

As many folks have observed, I spoze it depends on what you consider a "pill" -- just prescriptions, or supplements too, and there are a few gray areas I won't go into....

I suffered a rather nasty unforseen bout of IBS in my 40s, and since then, my ability to absorb some nutrients is diminished, and my immune system compromised, so I probably take more supplements than some folks. I also have PN, which I treat with supplements only.

As far as prescriptions, I have a few, but only one that I don't take on an "as-needed" basis (some only a few times a year), so again, how do you count those?

Supplement-wise, pill count is probably 12-15/day -- I've never actually counted, but enough that I use an organizer to keep them straight.

I recall an old rule of thumb that if you're taking less than one (including supplements) for every year over 35, you're ahead of the curve. :rolleyes:

Tyro

Zero and I turn 62 in a few days. Good living I guess. I do eat an apple a day, lots of salads and vegetables and walk 3 miles every day and sometimes a 10-14 mile bike ride.

Guessing your diet got even better after the loss of the twinkie ;)

45yo. 3 meds/day since my 20's. I take them first thing in the morning all at once. I usually take an aspirin or Aleve everyday and occasionally have other meds to take but it's those 3 (synthroid, adalat, plaquenil) that keep me humming along.

In my 20's I had a friend ask me if I resented having to take meds everyday. I thought it was a very odd question. I didn't and don't resent taking medications. I want to live forever!

Age 58, and I take one very low dose ACE inhibitor twice a day for borderline hypertension. I also take a Vit. D-3 OTC supplement, 2000 iu in the summer and 4000 in the winter.

Once in a great while I might take an ibuprofen tablet for a mild headache or low back pain.

Zero. I used to take a daily vitamin supplement, but I quit that, we eat well enough.

At my most recent check-up, I was asked if I was currently on any prescription medications. When I said I wasn't, the nurse looked at me, smiled, and said, "Are you sure?"

I guess at some point, they figure everyone is on something, and just forgets!

Amethyst

Unfortunately, I have to take about 9 a day. Some are related to asthma, some for kidney/bladder chronic disease, and mild high blood pressure. Also low thyroid. It seemed like way too many, but there really aren't any I can cut out.

Apart from a few antibiotics when she was injured a few times, my mother never took a prescription med in her life, and she died last year at 96. I look at that as probably a pretty good omen for me.

None at age 56. I do have a prescription eye drop for one eye that is a "glaucoma suspect." In addition I've suffered from occasional migraines all my life but they seem to be getting worse with hormonal changes. I'm taking too many OTC painkillers such as aspirin or Excedrin Migraine and need to stop this cycle.

Yikes. I used to feel grumpy about a daily antihistamine.

I've reluctantly concluded that I'd rather treat BP and other health issues with exercise rather than with medications, so I take a lot of ibuprofen to help with the exercise recovery. The vitamins probably just make my kidneys & liver work harder, but they also have the placebo effect of making me feel as if I'm doing some good.

Otherwise my personal dosage depends on how many chocolate chips are the equivalent of "one pill".

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
-- Hunter S. Thompson
He ended up grabbing the wheel of his own hearse, didn't he?

Age 63. Currently zero, but just started taking a joint supplement (in liquid form) about a month ago hoping it will help my knee. Any testimonials for joint stuff out there ?
Yes-- if you're a horse or a dog. Unfortunately their documented results have yet to be achieved in any credible research on humans.

What do you mean by "joint stuff" ? Arthritis ? Knee replacement ? Torn ligament ? Etc.
Had an ACL repair (not reconstruction) in 1980 that has always bothered me, but I have put up with it. Had another incident skiing (had to ski down on one leg) and decided to have it "scoped" about a year ago. Doc found and removed three meniscus tears and also removed a "loose body". All in all, the knee is at about 50% and doesn't hurt very much when not being stressed. Have started taking supplements (glucosamine and chondroitin) hoping for some improvement.

I've refused to take any meds for high BP for several years but gave in this year. I was drug free until early 60's but per that link about how many drugs people take by age I'm doing ok. 2 BP meds and an iron supplement as my iron is just a little low. My cholesterol and triglycerides are so good I just ignored the high BP but decided it makes no sense to die boasting I never took any meds. :rolleyes:

Zero prescription drugs at age 60.
Five OTC (fish oil, Vitamin D3, Multivitamin, Calcium, ibuprofen)

I am an RN working at a hospital (inpatient med/surg). Most of the patients we see are 65-85 years old. It is not uncommon to see patients who are admitted with and discharged with 15-20 prescription medications.

Here's an interesting article on polypharmacy. (The comments by pharmacists are interesting too.)

Multiple medications: Growing "polypharmacy" problem - CBS News

Certainly the right medications can extend people's lives and quality of life.

I do wonder how many conditions are treated with drugs, when the best cure would be a lifestyle change that is not even prescribed? And how often a Dr. tries to prescribe a lifestyle change such as diet, exercise, or weight loss, and the Patient simply insists on a pill instead?

Amethyst

I am an RN working at a hospital (inpatient med/surg). Most of the patients we see are 65-85 years old. It is not uncommon to see patients who are admitted with and discharged with 15-20 prescription medications.

Here's an interesting article on polypharmacy. (The comments by pharmacists are interesting too.)

Multiple medications: Growing "polypharmacy" problem - CBS News

Everybody should consider taking a baby aspirin, vitamin D and fish oil.....but check with your Doctor 1st. See and listen to your Doc......my parents both died young....they wouldn't have if they knew and took the pills we have available to us today.......I'm a total of six each day.

if we all lived to 100 most of us would end up taking a medication for something.

body parts do wear out.

Pancreas-creates insulin-works less effectively as we age

GERD-most people develop as age

arthritis like problems-your immuno suppresive systems get weaker as age.

thyroid-gets weaker as age

blood pressure- blood vessels naturally startto constrict as you age nothing wrong with diet and exercise but aging will get to most of us.

answer-don't age

most people who never had to take a drug(notice i said most) died before they developed the most likely problems

Was thinking about this aging/pills thing today and I cannot brag.

No pills right now, but have hearing aids, reading glasses (and should get regular glasses since i am constantly putting them on/taking them off), and a total knee replacement three years ago.

Pills or not, the age thing is most defintely getting to me.:mad:

Just to make you greybeards feel better, I'm 31, and I'm currently taking about 5 supplements, and twice daily NSAID's (as well as a recent major diet change) in an effort to combat a probable autoimmune issue. My mother has given me terrible genes in that respect, having fibromyalgia, lupus, arthritis, etc.

I've been doing slightly better since the diet change, and actually get to see a rheumatologist on Friday. So, we'll see.

Otherwise, I'm of healthy weight and have no other issues.

OK, I'm nearly 65 and I know my health isn't as great as when I was a young man. I never took medicine and I never went to the doctor--but about 50 I hit a brick wall!!!!! Today I suffer from high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes as well as a host of other ailments. It seems every time I go to the doctor, which is now very frequently, I get a new pill or an upping of the dosage.

Prof12

Maybe someone else has mentioned this but I can't read through 73 posts right now. Just a suggestion: Get a another doctor. That's what I did. My health improved immediately.

Back
Top Bottom