I Honestly Knew That Life Was Going Too Smoothly

Ronnie,

Please see my post at #63. I traveled almost the same road as your DW, except that my lymph nodes were negative. I am now six months post-chemo and thriving. I also beat myself up for skipping my mammogram for one year, and my surgeon said exactly the same thing - they may or may not have found it earlier, but it would not have changed the outcome for me.

These next few months are the time for your wife to be very kind to herself, and to rest as much as she can.

Reassure her that the hair does grow back!! I was bald for several months, but my hair has grown back and I actually like it more than I liked my pre-chemo hair. I didn't want to face slowly losing my hair in bits and pieces, so I went to Great Clips one week before chemo and they shaved my head. In this area they do this for free for anyone undergoing chemo. Amazon has a great variety of beanies, FYI.

Best of luck to both of you on your journey. :flowers:

Thanks for the information and well wishes. She had the first dose of chemo on Wednesday last week so it has been 8 days. The day she got it she seemed ok until the evening then it all when to heck....she was pretty much bedridden Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, and Monday due to the intense nausea and extreme fatigue. She started to feel like it wasn't at least getting any worse and maybe a bit better on Tuesday and as of today, Thursday, almost is back to normal but super tired. She can't wait to go back again on Wednesday :nonono:

Unfortunately the oral anti emetics aren't working so hot. She says she can't tell much of a difference using ondansetron or promethazine than not using them. She has been alternating and they added lorazepam, which of course adds to the drowsiness. :(
Luckily only 3 more doses of this combo then 4 of the taxol (which they claim is not as bad as the A/C combo) but when they all suck I guess they can only say it sucks less.

I did get a bunch of 'do rags' and knit hats, beanies and baseball caps for her wearing pleasure. She still hasn't cut her hair yet, but is planning too. It is said day 17 is the key day for most to start losing their hair. Shes hoping to lose her arm and leg hair too :D

Thanks again for the well wishes and we do plan on kicking cancers butt and continuing on more appreciative of our future plans.

Thanks for the information and well wishes. She had the first dose of chemo on Wednesday last week so it has been 8 days. The day she got it she seemed ok until the evening then it all when to heck....she was pretty much bedridden Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, and Monday due to the intense nausea and extreme fatigue. She started to feel like it wasn't at least getting any worse and maybe a bit better on Tuesday and as of today, Thursday, almost is back to normal but super tired. She can't wait to go back again on Wednesday :nonono:

I hear you!! My oncologist told me that just about the time I started feeling close to "normal" after every chemo round, it would be time to go back for the next one. He was absolutely correct. :mad:

Unfortunately the oral anti emetics aren't working so hot. She says she can't tell much of a difference using ondansetron or promethazine than not using them. She has been alternating and they added lorazepam, which of course adds to the drowsiness. :(

I'm sorry to hear this. Ondansetron (Zofran) and Promethazine were lifesavers for me, but I know they don't work for everyone. My doctor advised me not to wait until I felt nauseous, but to stick strictly to the recommended schedule for taking the meds even if I didn't have a hint of nausea, so that's what I did, and in my case it worked. I hope your DW finds something that works for her.

Luckily only 3 more doses of this combo then 4 of the taxol (which they claim is not as bad as the A/C combo) but when they all suck I guess they can only say it sucks less.

I had T/C (Taxotere and Cyclophosphamide) instead of A/C. I did read hundreds of posts on breastcancer.org about A/C - it sounds about as nasty as it can be. The "A" (Adriamycin) was referred to as the Red Devil. :(

I did get a bunch of 'do rags' and knit hats, beanies and baseball caps for her wearing pleasure. She still hasn't cut her hair yet, but is planning too. It is said day 17 is the key day for most to start losing their hair. Shes hoping to lose her arm and leg hair too :D

Nobody warned me I would lose my eyebrows and eyelashes too!! So be forewarned if this happens. They are coming back now.

Thanks again for the well wishes and we do plan on kicking cancers butt and continuing on more appreciative of our future plans.

Once you do kick its butt, you will find that the little stuff that used to bother both of you doesn't mean a thing. Annoyances that used to get to you will roll off your back going forward. A silver lining to look forward to. Best of luck with the rest of the treatments, and here's hoping the side effects lessen as you go. :greetings10:

Again, thank you to everyone for their thoughts, prayers, and advice. Step one is complete; lumpectomy was yesterday. It was a horribly long day, but the results were about as good as a person could hope for. Surgeon got all of the tumor and a good portion of surrounding tissue. Slides of the lymph nodes were negative (yeah!). Everything still has to be sent to pathology, but for now, the news is good.

That is wonderful news that the lymph nodes were negative!! So glad to hear it. Here's hoping the path results provide more encouraging news. :flowers:

Thank you for the update. We wish you and wife enjoyable future times together.

Encourage her to get that haircut. I got a free Great Clips buzzcut and was glad I had when, one day in the shower, most of my hair fell out in clumps. (Short clumps - but still!)

The hair I missed the most was nose hair - my nose dripped for weeks. (Go long on Kleenex. ;)

We dodged a bullet (if you can claim that with any cancer) as the pathology reports show stage 1 IDC and no spread anywhere else. Oconotype shows hormone receptors, so hormone suppression (for years) and radiation are the prescribed treatment.
After reading the stories on here, as well as other cancer message boards, we are damn lucky. My heart goes out to all of those who are fighting for their lives. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

We dodged a bullet (if you can claim that with any cancer) as the pathology reports show stage 1 IDC and no spread anywhere else. Oconotype shows hormone receptors, so hormone suppression (for years) and radiation are the prescribed treatment.
After reading the stories on here, as well as other cancer message boards, we are damn lucky. My heart goes out to all of those who are fighting for their lives. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

That's good news for you and your wife. Hopefully looking back after several years you will see this as a small bump in the road of life.

Good update! My sis has stage 4 she is on radiation with the hope that surgery will close the gap. We are all still praying for sis but she is vibrant and healthy very positive for us here too

Great to hear! Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for DW.

That's very positive news!

I am on one of the hormone suppression meds - just completed the first six months; 4.5 years to go. I did experience some manageable side effects for the first 4-5 months, but things have settled down now. At my re-check yesterday the nurse practitioner said I should not expect any more side effects to appear from now on. Some people have no side effects at all - hopefully your wife will be in that group! Best of luck to both of you - once you are over this hurdle may you enjoy a long, healthy retirement together. :flowers:

Like Calico, I'm on a hormone-suppression med, and also had the worst (manageable) side effects during the first few months. As my doctor predicted, the side effects have lessened over time. I'm now three years into post-treatment.

Here's hoping her remaining treatment is easy and successful. (Radiation is usually a breeze and hope hers is too.)

Great news. I hope that her side effects lessen and that you both enjoy a long and active retirement! Thanks for the update.

All the best and our continued support and prayers.

A long road to feeling well ahead for the wives of both erkevin and Ronnieboy, but so glad there are successful protocols for both and treatment is well underway. My DD’s best friend had terrible dehydration issues with chemo for her BC (which sounds similar to Ronnieboy’s DW) and a visiting nurse came over with IV’s every few days, so that kind of kind of help is available.

An update:
My wife is doing very well physically.......emotionally, she is still a bit rocked. In my opinion she is handling the whole thing like a super hero. She is halfway through her radiation treatments, about three weeks left.
The hormone suppression meds are probably the worst for her; she got "neutral dropped" into menopause; hot flashes, sleep disruption, etc.
When she finishes her treatments on July 3rd, we leave for Puerto Vallarta on the 5th, where she can sleep and recover under a palapa or palm tree.

Great news to hear. Wish you guys the best.

Thank you for the update! So glad to hear she is doing better. I hope you two have an absolutely wonderful time in Puerto Vallarta! You both need and deserve it!

An update:
My wife is doing very well physically.......emotionally, she is still a bit rocked. In my opinion she is handling the whole thing like a super hero. She is halfway through her radiation treatments, about three weeks left.
The hormone suppression meds are probably the worst for her; she got "neutral dropped" into menopause; hot flashes, sleep disruption, etc.
When she finishes her treatments on July 3rd, we leave for Puerto Vallarta on the 5th, where she can sleep and recover under a palapa or palm tree.

Thanks for the update. It sure sounds like the trip to PV is well earned and deserved.

Glad to hear the positive news and I'm sure that getaway will be good for the both of you.

An update:

Wow! Great news, and so funny because the week after DH finished his chemo for NHL, we left for Puerto Vallarta. 11 years later, he's still going strong. The ocean breezes and the infinity pools are good for the soul.

Thank you for the update. Great news!

I am so glad that your wife is on the mend. have a great trip.

On you title, I was on a cruise recently and heard a cocktail piano player. That was our plan when I retired: my wife would play cocktail piano on a cruise ship, and I would teach computers.
Then life got in the way and she had a cerebral aneurysm. However, a few months before she passed away, she got to play the grand piano in the lounge of a cruise ship.

Back
Top Bottom