I Shall Take You to Bed...

Some interesting tidbits on the CDC page -

"Protection from shingles vaccine lasts about 5 years, so adults vaccinated before they are 60 years old might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest."

"While the vaccine was most effective in people 60 through 69 years old, it also provides some protection for people 70 years old and older."

Makes me wonder if the shingles vaccine needs to be given every 5 years and then don't expect as much protection after 70 years old.

Some interesting tidbits on the CDC page -

"Protection from shingles vaccine lasts about 5 years, so adults vaccinated before they are 60 years old might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest."

"While the vaccine was most effective in people 60 through 69 years old, it also provides some protection for people 70 years old and older."

Makes me wonder if the shingles vaccine needs to be given every 5 years and then don't expect as much protection after 70 years old.

It appears that it might all boil down to the $$$. But of course, this applies to almost everything.

Shingles vaccine not cost effective before age 60 | Reuters

It should also be noted that there currently isn't a booster shot for shingles. However, there is at least one study that shows that a booster might be effective:
“Based on the encouraging boost in immunity seen in people who get a booster, it’s a reasonable expectation that they would be protected for some time after the second dose,” said the lead author of the new study, Dr. Myron J. Levin, a professor of pediatrics and medicine at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine. “But it’s not yet proven. Some physicians may think the evidence is strong enough to give the second dose now.”

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/12/ask-well-a-booster-vaccine-for-shingles/

It should also be noted that there currently isn't a booster shot for shingles. However, there is at least one study that shows that a booster might be effective:

Even more promising is a new vaccine called Shingrix:

...drug company officials said Shingrix could not only remain effective longer than Zostavax, but also that it reduces nerve pain when taken after an HZ outbreak,... It also has shown to be effective for those over 70 years old.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/09/1...unanimously-approved-fda-advisory-panel-11828

Based on some friend of the family experiences with the diseases, I'm getting the shingles vaccine after I turn 50, even if I have to pay out of pocket.

Will happily pay out of pocket if I need to get it again at age 55, 60, or whenever.

Thanks for the reminder. DH and I got the flu shot this morning at Sam's Club for $0 copay. She told my DH that his arm might be more sore this year, since he received the "extra one" for people over 65.

I had the Shingles vaccine before age 60. I had Shingles at age 61 and it was such a mild case and I am so glad that I had the vaccine. If they ever have boosters that they recommend, I will definitely get the booster.

DH refuses to get a flu shot. I've gotten one every year for 10+ years

Just for info., the flu shot protects no more than 60% of people that get the shot, and the effectiveness has been as low as 10% in some years. So if you want to get the shot, that's fine, but don't be under the illusion that you have no chance to get the flu if you have the shot.

Why flu vaccines so often fail | Science | AAAS

DH refuses to get a flu shot.

I won't get a flu shot either, and neither will my wife (for a variety of reasons that I won't get into here). I am not anti-vaccine; I've had the shingles vaccine, as I think the potential benefits of that one outweigh the risks. But I don't feel that way about the flu shot.

It's good to exercise the immune system. Eat some dirt from time to time - :)

One of the (rare) benefits of aging is less colds. There are only 600 different rhino viruses out there and once you've had one you're immune. I used to get 2-3 colds a year when I was young now one at most.

I've never had a flu shot & I'm pretty sure I've never had the flu. I think about getting the shot every year when it gets hyped, but somehow I'm more worried that the shot will make me sick. Going for a checkup in 2 weeks, so that will be my opportunity to finally take the plunge. Advice?

I did get a shingles shot last year though, because of the horror stories. Easy-peasy, no reaction at all.

Then why are you worried about the flu shot?

DH gets the flu shot most years. He started after having a mild case of flu many years ago. The doctor scared him because his blood pressure was so low.

I never have had the flu shot and can't bring myself to start yet for some reason. I haven't had the flu as an adult either - knock on wood.

We both got the shingles shot.

Last year I got the "high potency" flu shot for persons over 65. In a an hour or so my face turned very red and I ran a 102 temperature for a couple of days. My doctor said that is a side effect of the high potency shot and recommended that I take the regular dose flu shot from now on. So this year I got the regular dose flu shot, no problem. My husband, on the other hand, is able to take the high dose flu shot without any problems.

In my early 50s (before I had the shingles shot), I got shingles. IT WAS THE WORST PAIN I EVER HAD. As soon as they allowed me to do so I got the shingles shot. You can get shingles over and over. I have had shingles a second time but it was not nearly as bad as the first time, probably because by then I had the vaccine. All is can say is GET THE SHINGLES VACCINE!!!!!

Got my flu shot this morning. DH says he will get his at his annual physical.

After reading the original post, it left me wanting to read the new sequel '"Fifty Shades of Flu'.

I am not against vaccines either but the flu shot is not that effective and your subjecting yourself to what is in it every single year. I think not.

I've had a flu shot annually for probably 40 years, whenever it was available. The only year I deliberately skipped it was the year of the swine flu, since I had heard a lot of horror stories about that one.

In all that time, I have actually had the flu twice, so on the whole I think I was probably benefitting from the shots.

Back
Top Bottom