ICD Replacement

Dog

Full time employment: Posting here.
DH has just gone into surgery to replace his ICD and lead replaced. The original was implanted 7 years ago when he was 50. We are all hoping the new and improved unit will allow a bit more flexibility and allow mild exercise.
We had so many plans for a very active retirement. At least he can still play golf! He retires next May.

Just a gentle Reminder to not take out health or bodies for granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Maybe it's just me. But I'll ask. What is ICD?

Wishing a speedy recovery.

+1 on the best wishes and the advice about not taking health for granted. Although greatly less dramatic than an implanted cardiac defibrillator, my joint cartilage chose to retire about the same time I did.

I believe it is an internal heart defibrillator.

Best wishes on surgery and subsequent recovery.

Hope everything turns out well for your DH. The older I get the less I take my health for granted, and its good if one recognizes that sooner rather than later.

https://qualityoflife.org/heart/pro...implantable-cardioverter-defibrillators-aicd/

All should be well - I joined the club a couple years ago and while not as good as I once was, I'm, well, not as good as I once was. OTOH, we got back from a 2.5 mile walk this morning without being totally worn out, and I don't need to split wood or run all day these days. Damn fine excuse to kick back....
Medtronics unit? Is the new one rechargable? My hope is that by the time my battery needs swapping the replacement unit will have bunches of storage and be usable for memory backup, something sorely needed here.

Sorry about that. Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator for VTAC issues. All went well and should be released tomorrow. Also a slight modification (increase) to his meds.
Confirmed that he can gradually resume light exercise including golf once incision heals. His heart is in good shape other than the electrical issues.

Calmloki, not sure about the new unit. We should get those details tomorrow. They have him use a Merlin monitor unit at night at home so they can download what is happening with his heart between doctor visits. We need to find out if the new unit synchs to the Merlin. It is amazing what these devices can do. The new unit will pace his heart and deliver a shock if needed. The old unit only delivered a shock. So this is an upgrade (two leads needed). The old unit went off 2x in 7 years (saving his life).

Just a gentle Reminder to not take our health or bodies for granted.

Yes, I got the "wake up call" last year. Had shortness of breath and ended up with two overlapping stents in a heart artery but this was caught before any damage happened, so lucky that way. To top it off then several events of atrial fibrillation a few months later.

I am now a regular at the gym....

Calmloki, not sure about the new unit. We should get those details tomorrow. They have him use a Merlin monitor unit at night at home so they can download what is happening with his heart between doctor visits. We need to find out if the new unit synchs to the Merlin. It is amazing what these devices can do. The new unit will pace his heart and deliver a shock if needed. The old unit only delivered a shock. So this is an upgrade (two leads needed). The old unit went off 2x in 7 years (saving his life).

Very good news on your hubby. Just a constant stream of improvements in equipment and technique. Re: the wireless home monitor. I was set up with one last fall before going south for the winter. Checked to be sure it sent reports while in Oregon and after going to California using the wired reader in the unit, but felt less and less good as time passed. Visited the California electrocardiologist who installed my unit , he read the report from my IACD, and said "you've been in Afib since October". Ahh. Turned out that while the unit could send, "reports" were not turned on on the AICD, so all the unit would do is respond to interrogations. Which were set to occur every six months. I was not a happy camper. Those oops moments can have a profound effect. Reports are turned on in the AICD and can't be turned on remotely as I understand it. Hubby's unit may be different, I may be confused, but still, double check and try to get clarity on how the stuff works. Again, good news and continued good luck.

Back
Top Bottom