It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm staying within 3 lbs of 145 pretty much solid, learning to apply the 80/20 rule where we eat right most of the time and then splurge, maybe one night a week. That is keeping us about right weight-wise.

Sarah, that's great news. Congratulations. Cindy and I started something different this week. We went to lunch at Denny's like we sometimes do before grocery shopping. But instead of ordering two meals, we only ordered one meal plus an empty plate. We found eating half each filled us nicely. We think we're going to make that a habit from now on. (Except when I want something with gravy, which she detests.)

Cindy and I started something different this week. We went to lunch at Denny's like we sometimes do before grocery shopping. But instead of ordering two meals, we only ordered one meal plus an empty plate. We found eating half each filled us nicely.

This is a good tip that DW and I were given a couple of years back and it works really well. I think it is very common as we rarely get any strange looks when we order. There was one occaison when, at a fancy restaurant, the waiter brought out the 2 plates with the meal already divided out for us. I commented that I liked the way he carried the plates high above his head and his reply was that he didn't want others to see that he was delivering 3-oz Fillet steaks.

206 lbs this morning. Half Marathon is Nov 11th and I'm not in the shape I'd like to be. I was hoping to be 190 by then ( I'm 6' 2") and that will be a stretch. I always fear one day I'll run and find my knees hurting, since everyone tries to scare me with that. Although, most who say that are significantly overweight, I think their knees are taking more of a beating than mine! Ultimate goal is 177 lbs / 10% body fat.

EDIT: Oh, Sarah, BTW, upped my protien intake and it's really helping, not as hungry, more energy on the runs. Last night averaged 10 minute miles.

176 this morning. Not bad after the England trip.

Laurence,
I don't know what it is about joints, and knees in particular. Being severely overweight is definitely an issue, but I've known lots of overweight people who seem to manage to run and/or play sports with no problems, but others who have never been overweight but have knee problems.

A few months ago I listened to an interview on the radio of a guy who was in his late 30's who literally runs for many hours every day - Forest Gump style running across the whole country. He has been warned about the knees being damaged but has surprised doctors when he underwent examination and scans that showed the wear and tear was no more than would be expected of someone much younger than himself.

If your knees don't hurt, then run, Laurence, run.

Down a pound this week to 198 .. Just checked the weight chart I have been keeping that's 10 pounds in 2 months but only about 2 this month so slow but sure.. Total so far is 52 total pounds lost in about 6 - 7 months..

Vacation next two weeks on the Big Island of Hawaii so I am looking forward to getting some serious workouts in..running and biking... The Ironman triathlon is the 13th so seeing all the athletes should provide some motivation.

Hoping to break through this plateau I seem to have hit.

Down a pound this week to 198 .. Just checked the weight chart I have been keeping that's 10 pounds in 2 months but only about 2 this month so slow but sure.. Total so far is 52 total pounds lost in about 6 - 7 months..

Vacation next two weeks on the Big Island of Hawaii so I am looking forward to getting some serious workouts in..running and biking... The Ironman triathlon is the 13th so seeing all the athletes should provide some motivation.

Hoping to break through this plateau I seem to have hit.

Enjoy your vacation. We had a vacation on the Big Island well over 10 years ago but still have great memories. I hope those athletes inspire you to great things - enjoy - and let us know how you got on and what activities you got up to.

Static, 332. But I started walking again on Monday. I have two dogs (Airedale and Chocolate Lab). I hook their collars to a homemade splitter, then to the leash, then to my own belt. Hands free walking of two dogs at the same time. And the added benefit is that they sure help keep my pace up.

That sounds like a great way to keep up the pace, Mike! And fun for the dogs, too.
I have too many dogs to imagine trying to walk them--good thing we have acreage. After your busy summer, injuries and rehab, it must be nice to get back into the exercise groove!

Xyz, my boss is training for the Navy Seal 1/2 Ironman next fall, that stuff is serious! Some kind of inspiration...

I've stepped up the ab work and trying to squeeze in some more cardio at the gym in hopes of getting down another 5-10 lbs before December. I've set myself up another goal--for my 37th birthday in December, I am inviting 7 fun girlfriends to join me for a private birthday pole dancing lesson party! Just good clean fun, but if I'm going to try to dance on a pole, I don't want any jiggly belly! :)

Should be lots of fun and all our assorted men-folk are fully supportive of the idea....
Never would have dreamed of trying this before losing 60 lbs! I'm @ 146 today.

Seeing all the elite athletes around is certainly motivating. I have been keeping up my daily running routine (6 miles / day) and yesterday we rode 25 miles on the bikes after the run. I topped it off with a swim in the pool just to get a little feel of what it might be like to do the three things in a day (although my order of events is a bit backwards) ... I don't see how anyone can make that distance and I am sure impressed by those who can ! I don't have a scale here so it will be interesting to see how I do weight wise when I return. I read an interesting article on the Ironman it was started in 1978 by a retired Navy captain to settle an arguement in Oahu with the first one consisting of 15 contestants. It was featured in Sports Illustrated in 1979 and televised in 1980. In 1981 it was moved to the Big Island of Hawaii. Very interesting how quickly it grew in popularity...

Sarah, 60 pounds ! Wow ! Great to hear how others are making gains...

What the #@$% - I weighed 206.5 this morning! I was as low as 204.5 this week. Oh well. 4 mile run today. Half Marathon November 11th.

Sarah, 60 pounds is fantastic! Keep up the good work, and if you gals need someone to hold the pole still give a me a call. >:D

laurence, trust me dude, the trail is full of UPS and downs. Don't sweat it unless you go up steadily for 3 weeks in a row or more. Just keep going slow and steady.

173.5 today. I've lost 3.5 lb of the 5 I put on while on holiday. 1.5 to go, I'm "journaling" again to try and quickly get back within range.

Sarah, 60lbs is a fantastic milestone. Try not to put out your back or something when belly dancing ;)

173.5 today. I've lost 3.5 lb of the 5 I put on while on holiday. 1.5 to go, I'm "journaling" again to try and quickly get back within range.

Sarah, 60lbs is a fantastic milestone. Try not to put out your back or something when belly dancing ;)

Down 2 lbs to 330 as of this morning. I'm gaining on Sarah at this rate. That's a total of 48 pounds since last Thanksgiving. Of course, I still have another 100 lbs to go.

48 lbs! That is TRULY AWESOME! And remember how much more muscle you have than me at this point--I'm pretty sure I couldn't do the PT test!
Good luck on saddling back up to the rower--that thing is a killer!

Hey Alan, it is POLE dancing I'm doing for my birthday! :0 But I did just see a court ruling on the news that upheld a worker's comp claim for an "exotic dancer" who was injured while pole dancing. So if I develop any talent, I've got that going for me..... :)

Congrats Laurence let us know how you did on your half marathon, I've been in South Kohala for the past two weeks and watching the pro's train for the Ironman. It is very impressive and motivating (I've been running 6 miles / day and throwing in 25 miles bike every third day) but it is nothing like these people can do. I am staying near Highway 19 where they do the bike portion and it is unbelievable how these people can ride 120 miles and make it look so easy. Looking forward to watching the race Saturday.. I've never ran in a marathon but I have been thinking of trying one of the 70.3 triathlons.... That should get the pounds off.. there is no scale here but hopefully I knocked a few pounds off on this vacation. I will weigh in next Wednesday when I am home ... If I could only stop drinking that Kona beer....

Hey Alan, it is POLE dancing I'm doing for my birthday! :0 But I did just see a court ruling on the news that upheld a worker's comp claim for an "exotic dancer" who was injured while pole dancing. So if I develop any talent, I've got that going for me..... :)

Sorry Sarah, I guess my imagination just took off at the thought of you pole dancing :D

I forgot to weigh in yesterday but today (Thursday) I was 172 which is at the top of my target range, and it means it has only been a few weeks to lose the 5lb I put on during my vacation in September. Off to Austin tomorrow afternoon for a weekend partying with DS, DD and DSIL. We had planned to go tubing on the river but a) the river is too deep and fast, and b) DS came cycling with us on Sunday and is now sporting a gashed knee, a broken wrist and a badly sprained wrist.

I duuno, young kids today, just can't keep up with the oldies.

DD has promised to take us to watch the UT ladies volleyball team :cool:

That is awesome, HA! Boy, I walked right into that one! :)

Hey, we went roller skating last night--I'm sure I haven't been since 7th grade but it was actually a pretty cool way to burn 450 calories in an hour.
There is a local rink that has adult skate every Thursday, for $3! Frugal and fun!
They played some 80's music for us oldsters, too! I must say it is a pretty good workout. Only fell once and have a nice bruise and lump on my knee to show for it.

And, for the record:
I DID FIVE "REAL MAN" PUSHUPS YESTERDAY! Whoo hooo! That is the most ever!

And, for the record:
I DID FIVE "REAL MAN" PUSHUPS YESTERDAY! Whoo hooo! That is the most ever!

You put some us to shame. These days when I do "real man" push ups my elbow starts to click after only a few so I have to stop. Some years back my knee started clicking while I was ref'ing a soccer game - I couldn't really stop so I ran on it for another 60 mins or so and next day it was all swollen and it turned out to be a torn cartilidge.

Ok I am back from vacation ... I had gained 5 pounds during my trip but I have burned it off already.. Still looking to make the next big reduction but it just is not coming...

I refuse to weigh myself. Mom and Dad would not stop feeding the grandkids and us yesterday while we waited to come back home from the fires, it's all their fault! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom