It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan, Interesting trip to Mumbai? I'd really like to go for a vacation to India once I can get the family to buy into the idea. btw, I also add fish to the diet in order to keep protein up and feel it just generally adds to my vitality -- when I've gone completely veg for any length of time I feel I am missing some important nutrients, as I start doing a lot of binge snacking which seems to go away when I get the odd bit of fish.

Have been working a lot myself lately, though in completely pleasurable endeavors: 10-12 hours a day of sculpting for the past 2 weeks on this course in Monterey. I've started thinking that 'Balance' is mostly important if you're not enjoying what you're doing.

Dan Tien -- I do think you're on to something with the stuff yourself with fruits and vegetables approach -- thx Khan for identifying it as Volumetrics. Whenever I've done that sort of thing in the past it has worked for me. Easier in summer, when you can get more fresh, ripe fruit. I knew a guy who called his diet 'Fruitarian' who only at raw fruits and vegetables. Had been doing it for several years. Thin as a rail, but actually very healthy, never got sick. It was pretty extreme, but he'd given it a ton of thought and research.

Bob,

I like the sound of your kind of work. My wife's BIL retired last year and he is crazy about buses. He was a civil servant all his career but a year after retirement he now is a fully qualified bus driver and works part time for free for social services driving mini buses to take old folks on trips to the mall etc. Sucessfully turned a hobby into a charitable service.

He and his wife (DW's older sister) went on a vacation to India last year and had a pretty good time. Like everyone I know who has been there however you are going to see poverty like you wouldn't believe. I would go back again and hope to get a chance to do so again if I get a chance with work - I made some good friends through work.

Sigh, I'll throw in: 93 kg, measured Wednesday.
I take it the sigh indicates you are not happy with your weight. Do you have a target you would like or are trying to get down to?

I take it the sigh indicates you are not happy with your weight. Do you have a target you would like or are trying to get down to?

BMI says I should be around 75. I know that is an oversimplified standard, and if I were built like Arnold Schwarzenegger it would be way off, but I'm not, so 75 seems like a good target for now.

Funny thing is that I used to be skinny. I guess middle-age spread hit when I wasn't looking.

BMI says I should be around 75. I know that is an oversimplified standard, and if I were built like Arnold Schwarzenegger it would be way off, but I'm not, so 75 seems like a good target for now.

Funny thing is that I used to be skinny. I guess middle-age spread hit when I wasn't looking.

We have been converting some our old slides to jpg's so we can view them on the computer, and looking at the photos of myself in the 70's and 80's in my 20's and 30's I see how thin I used to me. Like yourself, I found it just crept up slowly, and that is the way to lose it again. I set a target of 10% weight loss and after a year I had made it and got used to maintaining that weight, then set another 10% target....

I have managed to get from 95.5 kgs to 77.25kgs over the last 5 years, so just think like saving for RE, slow and steady, no quick fixes

i've read before that resting is an important part of exercise but a new study stresses the point. this is on yahoo! today so probably many have seen it. just want to make sure to include the study in this thread....

Breaking up workouts may burn fat faster on Yahoo! Health

When men exercised for two 30-minute stretches, taking a 20-minute rest break in between, they burned more fat than when they exercised for a single 60-minute session, and then rested afterward...their blood levels of free fatty acids and other substances rose during the rest period, indicating greater fat metabolism...While the proportion of total calories burned did not differ between the two workouts, fat represented nearly 77 percent of the calories burned in the recovery period after the two-part exercise session, compared with about 56 percent of calories burned in the recovery period after the single long exercise session...

Hi all, just got back from the cool hippie music festival in Floyd, Virginia and thought I'd post a picture of the smaller me! We go every year and this year was especially sweet, after the grimness of the CFP exam the week before.

Good to be back in the gym after the 200 hours I spent studying earlier this month! Still around 145 lbs (lots of beer drinking at the festival!). Hoping to see 140 by the end of August...

Lazy, that is really interesting, a lot like what I've learned about High Intensity Interval Training, where you burn calories long after you finish the workout.

Sarah

Attachments

• Hooping Sarah.JPG
    Hooping Sarah.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 19
ya, i thought was interesting too. i've been swimming & working out pretty much consecutively but now i will take 20 minutes in the sauna or whirlpool to break up the workout. i'm pretty sure i can squeeze an extra 20 minutes into my routine, but i'll check my very busy schedule first.

ps sarah, that's a great pic with you in the hoop.

Sarah - you look great! Congrats! Neat pic with the hula hoop!

I get weighed & measured in about 30 minutes....we'll see how much I did not lose in CA in July! :(

Got myself organized to post this Wed -- have kept myself down for 3 weeks to a new level so am comfortable posting (or feel I'd better post before all my good intentions fly out the window again -- desserts are so tempting!)

Am down at 175 lbs now -- lowest in married memory -- and just a pound above my MetLife Target (upper limit, of course) of 174.

I'm very interested in the fat burning study, though, that LGFNB posted -- I still have a little pad around the belly and keep wondering how to get that dang thing to go away. If not, I'll have a "One-Pack" for a long time to come!

No change in the weight this month, but I lost 4.5"!! They measure arms, waist, hibs, abdomen, legs....hey, at least I am getting smaller! LOL

Maybe this would go quicker if I were to actuall diet?

Sarah, great picture. Weight is one thing. Lookking good and feeling good is another.

My weight was the same again this week - 173.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I have agreed to play tennis at 7am (SHOCK). It will be the earliest I have exercised since I can remember.

Hi all, just got back from the cool hippie music festival in Floyd, Virginia and thought I'd post a picture of the smaller me! We go every year and this year was especially sweet, after the grimness of the CFP exam the week before.

Good to be back in the gym after the 200 hours I spent studying earlier this month! Still around 145 lbs (lots of beer drinking at the festival!). Hoping to see 140 by the end of August...

Lazy, that is really interesting, a lot like what I've learned about High Intensity Interval Training, where you burn calories long after you finish the workout.

Sarah

Hubba, hubba...

Hi All,
I decided to jump in on this thread to add some motivation to my program. My weight was very stable up until age 30 and then I quit smoking. (This was a good thing but boy did I pack on the pounds after that). To make a long story short about 7 years ago I got myself to my ideal weight (155) with a diet and exercise program. I stayed at that weight for about 3 years and then got a big promotion at work and started traveling the world until about 7 months ago when I reached my peak at 250 .. Yikes !! I decided if I ever want to have any kind of retirement ( I am 50 now) I need to get my act together and start to lose weight.. I am down to 208 now and working hard to reach 199 by the end of the month. My goal is to reach the 155 in 6 – 9 months. Oh yes, How did I get this far ? Improved Diet (no eating out for lunch .. now eat fruit throughout the day, stopped eating muffins in the morning and switched to shredded wheat with no sugar and skim milk, smaller low fat portions for dinner, reduced alcohol intake.) As for exercise my goal has been to do 6 mile runs at least 4 times a week and I have reached that…. I am now contemplating adding cross training (weights/bike/swim) to my program… Further updates to come as hopefully there is progress.

Good job so far xyz! My DH and I started getting serious about losing weight at the end of Nov 2006. We've both lost 60 lbs and totally changed how we approach diet and exercise.
You can do it, just apply the determination and focus you use with money to the weight problem! Spreadsheets and goal-setting make the world go 'round! :) Keep reporting your progress--it'll keep you motivated! Your diet looks good--adding some variety to your exercise routine will stave off boredom. Google HIIT (high intensity interval training) for some quick routines that are killer!
Sarah

woo hoo !!! Finally made it to my target of 172. Now can I consolidate and hang onto that weight or even get below it befor our 2 week vacation in September.

Great work XYZ. 10lb/month for 9 months is a very ambitious target but you are certainly well on the way and we'll be rooting for you. Do keep us updated on your progress.

I was just watching an item on the news today. A study in the UK has shown a very steep increase in "lifestyle" cancers caused by too much sun, bad eating and drinking habits, smoking and too much sun.

Ok it is Wednesday so here is my update... Weighed in at 204 yesterday and today so I am making good progress. I have been running hard and being careful on the diet.. Next stop, 199 !! Sarah and Alan, thanks for the encouragement it really helps.

Ok it is Wednesday so here is my update... Weighed in at 204 yesterday and today so I am making good progress. I have been running hard and being careful on the diet.. Next stop, 199 !! Sarah and Alan, thanks for the encouragement it really helps.

It's great to see others doing so well. I weighed in again this morning at 172 which is 2 weeks running. I just got back from 90 minutes of very vigorous tennis so that is twice this week I've played. Long may the body hold up :p

On Sunday we played at 1pm. It was 100 in the shade and there was no shade apart from at the bench during the 2-game breaks. That was tough but I was on a high the rest of the day. DW and I had biked 15 miles in the morning so we were both feeling really good.

3 weeks before we go on holiday to England, I'd love to lose another 2 or 3 lb before then.

Ok it is Wednesday and I am weighing in... 201 ! I have started to do double workouts to add variety.. Doing situps / weights in the early morning (weights every other day) and running in the late morning / afternoon. My goal is to be under 200 by the end of the month and so far so good ! My next long term goal is to drop another 30 - 35 in the next 6 months..I have been dieting moderately but I expect to make the next step I will have to start to reduce portions(calories). I will post progress as I go along...

Lost 2 pounds and 3 inches (in the month of Aug)! Unfortunately my arms have not gotten smaller at all :(

Still at 145 right now, holding steady for the most part, which is a good thing! The big news is I finally can do not just one, but two full, real from the floor pushups! It feels awesome!

Getting back into the workout schedule after my CFP study month of July has been tough, but I just go and generally feel better once I get into it. Doing more resistance training and less cardio (only 20 min 3x week now). My arms are officially the envy of my girlfriends! :) And my hula skills have improved dramatically!
I'd like to get down another 10 lbs, but for now I'm just enjoying learning how to buy clothes that fit! It will be interesting to see what our BF% from the Bodypod will be in December.

XYZ, we restricted to 1200 calories to get rolling, but only after we'd been working out for a while--you sound ready for that next big step! Good Job!

Fireup, I'll take those inches gone--especially if they are lost from around the middle! :) That is great!

Sarah

I'm back on WW with DW. 5 weeks ago I hit 232 lbs. and the warning sirens went off (I'm 6' 2").

So this morning I was 218.5, just 38.5 lbs to go!

Hey Laurence, I just listened to a great podcast about a guy that went on WW core plan--pretty incredible results. It is called Jonathan's Healthy Groove podcast. You might check it out for some WW inspiration. Good luck!
You've dropped a lot in just 5 weeks--that is cool!
Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom