Just Curious

If you are thinking about joining for the New Year (usually see discounts to join around then) be aware that the influx of newbies swells the ranks. It looks like it's crowded but thins out after January.

I've noticed that too. It's gotten to the point where I can see "That one won't last two weeks, that one might last a month, that one will be gone in two months..." and so on.

I once asked the manager how many of the people who sign up for an annual membership (cheaper that way) actually continue going for the year. "About half."

(Duplicate post)

Last edited:
I listened to a Planet Money podcast on this; people who sign up and quit using the facilities early are a great source of revenue. So, when I see the newbies flooding in in January, I wish them well. Some will stay with it and realize the benefits; the rest keep the fees down.

I probably have more equipment than most gyms. A full dumbbell rack 2-45 lbs, free weights, a universal, elliptical, recumbent bike, treadmill, etc.

While I sleep, I get the osmosis action of the equipment.

I do go for a 3-mile walk everyday, I have a walking/bike path in front of my home.

I probably have more equipment than most gyms. A full dumbbell rack 2-45 lbs, free weights, a universal, elliptical, recumbent bike, treadmill, etc.

With the "senior" discount, I pay $9.75/mo for a membership to a local municipal rec center, so I sold what stuff I had to declutter.

There's still one dumbbell in my house though...

Paid $130 for a 1 year membership to the local community center fitness room. It is small, but rarely crowded when I go around 8am. The last few months (since I quit working), I've been going 2-4 times/week, and going out to walk around a local lake 1-3 times/week.

I work out for about an hour/day at a nearby military facility that is about a 10 minute drive away. I have done this for 10+ years so it's now part of my daily activities. In the past I have never been a gym rat or needed to run etc in order to feel fulfilled. Now I do it because it will help me stay healthy and live longer. If it doesn't, what have I lost but a bit of time and effort.

Home gym in a spare bedroom...plenty of free weights with a power cage. Treadmill in the basement. I just picked up an old tractor tire from a friend to flip it around the yard.

I probably would not pay for a gym with just machines but I've had a Boston Sports Club membership for at least 15 years b/c they have pools. My doctor recommended swimming for me while I was recovering from a running injury. It took awhile to get into it, but it was worth it. I believe that there is something about swimming that changes your brain. I swim at 5am on weekdays and run at the same time on weekends. For me it is the foundation for a good day.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom