Low Carb Diet

I looked for this in a grocery store. Only found the 70% stuff. Carbs were through the roof. Is the 86% an online only kind of thing?

We buy it at AlDI and the brand is Moser Roth. We think it is delicious and compares favorably to high end chocolates. Its about $2 a bar at ALDI. This is a link at Amazon but it is much more expensive than ALDI. Each bar contains 5 individual wrapped pieces. Each piece can be broken in half, or 10 total pieces. I eat 2 of the 10 pieces per day. Per the back of the package, what I consume has 9 total carbs or about 5 net of fiber.

@googily, That's the difference of a high carb diet vs a low carb diet. I don't know where the line is drawn, but it is going to be above 50 g a day. A half cup of beans and half cup of uncooked oatmeal is already at 50 g I think.

@googily, That's the difference of a high carb diet vs a low carb diet. I don't know where the line is drawn, but it is going to be above 50 g a day. A half cup of beans and half cup of uncooked oatmeal is already at 50 g I think.

Yes, but on each of those be sure to subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs. When people talk about 20 g of carbs a day or 50 g, generally they are talking about "net carbs," which is carbs minus fiber.

I have oatmeal once in a while, but with heavy cream and butter, not milk and raisins. And then watch my (net) carbs the rest of the day.

I generally try to stay around 50, but a day or so a week closer to 100 is not the end of the world.

I'm finding that being sure I hit my protein goal is pretty important, too.

I was just commenting that, while I understand the benefits of lowering carbs below 250 grams, I must acknowledge making the change will require some patience. And some trying new recipes.

I was just enunciating my feelings, not looking for a solution.

Less hunger on same calories, lower blood pressure, lower trigylcerides, better cholesterol numbers, better insulin control, possibly even lessening your chance of getting Alzheimer's (which is sometimes referred to as Type 3 Diabetes).

Add: possible reduced risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, death (all causes).

And this is just the start. When you go low carb, there's no way to predict what will get better. Some people report improvements in acid reflux, skin issues, bowels, joint pain, etc. In my case I felt like my brain was working near 100% for the first time ever when I went low carb.

All those benefits are the same ones listed for a plant-based whole food diet which I suppose could be a low-carb diet.

I don't usually eat bread, pasta, white rice, potatoes. But I do eat popcorn, oatmeal, brown rice, and milk chocolate. I avoid eggs, milk, meats, fish, but I will eat them.

I don't count calories, nor measure carbs, nor measure protein.

Last edited:
I think what you don't eat is almost as important as what you do eat. Giving up sugar and "vegetable"/seed oils will be healthy for anyone. But I was a health-food vegetarian for 5 years and never felt as good as I do on a low-carb diet.

I eat lots of veggies, a modest amount of meat, all the rendered fat that was in the meat, lots of butter and a small amount of olive oil, and a small amount of carbs - usually oatmeal or homemade bread. I keep track of everything I eat because of food sensitivities; it's not required.

Yes, but on each of those be sure to subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs. When people talk about 20 g of carbs a day or 50 g, generally they are talking about "net carbs," which is carbs minus fiber.

I have not heard of this "net carbs" concept.

Edit: OK. Now I have done some reading. Many count total but most count net. I guess my new diet would be about 80, net.

Last edited:
Net carbs vs all carbs is important. Fiber isn't digested so it doesn't really count as nutrition. Still it can be important to know about for other reasons.

I add Metamucil in the morning (either the "diet" version with no sugar added or the capsules, also with no sugar added) and usually either a prune (not stewed) or a small apple at lunch. A prune is roughly 6g net carbs and a small apple roughly 12g.

Pay attention to size - they sell apples at the store that are more than twice the size of the "lunch box" apples I get.

Keeps the various systems working nicely ;-)

FWIW, this is a breakdown of what I eat most days. Its pretty straight forward, no breakfast, a large salad with protein at lunch and a protein at dinner with two veggies. I do not eat all of the snacks shown, maybe 2 of the 3. So my totals are probably a little less. This also shows the breakout between total carbs, fiber and net carbs.

Total CarbsFiberNet CarbsItemserving size
606whole milk with coffee7 Tbs
000Lunch Protein5 – 6 ounces
5.405.4Dressing2 Tbs of balsamic plus oil
000Extra olive oil2 – 3 Tbs
5.81.84Tomato½ cup
1.90.31.6Cucumber¼ cup
2.90.92Bell Pepper¼ cup
0.70.60.1Sprouts1 cup
12.810.12.7Avocado1 cup
1.80.61.2Green onion¼ cup
0.750.10.65Mushrooms¼ cup
000Dinner Protein5 – 6 ounces
93.65.4Dinner green veggie 11 1/2 cups
62.43.6Dinner green veggie 21 cup
000Butter or olive oil for veggies2 – 3 Tbs
826Mixed nuts¼ cup
0.800.8Cheddar cheese2 ounces
9.436.485% Dark chocolate2 small pieces per day
7.43.83.6Mixed berries½ cup
5.705.7Greek Yogurt – whole milk½ cup
84.3529.255.15Totals

Edit to add: Yes, i probably drink 3 -4 glasses of red wine a week not included in the above.:)

Last edited:
OP here. Big picture is that I had no control over eating prior to 2011. Weighed 317. In late 2010, DW and I began nutrisystem. Joined a gym. Somewhere in 2012 I had lost maybe 60 pounds to around 255. Got on the NS maintenance program for a few years. Stopped their maintenance (or whatever they call it) and stayed in the 260 to 245 range.

I need tremendous motivation to count calories, carbs or whatever you call list everything you eat. Began counting calories through MFP on 11/28/2017 at a weight of 253.2. On 1/1/2018 I was down to 245.8. This morning, I weighed 235.0.

Started trying to keep carbs close to 100 grams on or about 1/21/2018 when I weighed 238.4. Will continue this LC for awhile but 3.4 pounds in 9 days is not a bad thing.

Of course I do an insane amount of exercise including death defying cardio (a joke).

I am so close to my big goal of 217 pounds which would be a 100 lbs loss. It would also put me at a BMI of about 29. I believe that at 217 I would be competitive in local 5ks in my age group - 60-69. I am not real competitive carrying 250 plus pounds.

@Z3Dreamer

Awesome progress.

. I avoid eggs, milk, meats, fish, but I will eat them.

Farm eggs are a cornerstone of my diet. I eat at least 3 daily. Eggs are one of the most nutrient-dense foods there is.......just curious why anyone would want to avoid them?

Farm eggs are a cornerstone of my diet. I eat at least 3 daily. Eggs are one of the most nutrient-dense foods there is.......just curious why anyone would want to avoid them?

The term "nutrient-dense" is used in this video:

Anyways, I eat an egg or two occasionally. They are definitely better than Tide pods.

Last edited:

Anyways, I eat an egg or two occasionally.

The whole idea that eggs are unhealthy because of their fat and cholesterol content has been pretty thoroughly debunked in recent years. And actually, the whole notion that cholesterol causes heart disease has also been debunked, as we discussed recently in another thread. I plan to happily keep eating my 3 eggs daily......

<snip>

Anyways, I eat an egg or two occasionally. They are definitely better than Tide pods.

A lot has changed since 2007.

The cholesterol in eggs is no longer considered a significant problem. Saturated fats may not be as bad as once thought. Trans fats (which replaced saturated fats in many foods) are now worse than saturated fats or at least no better. And sugar bomb cereals no longer can claim they are good for our hearts just because they don't contain much cholesterol and saturated fats.

Gosh, I can't imagine why people don't trust the USDA's diet advice and are suspicious of Big Food. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The whole idea that eggs are unhealthy because of their fat and cholesterol content has been pretty thoroughly debunked in recent years. And actually, the whole notion that cholesterol causes heart disease has also been debunked, as we discussed recently in another thread. I plan to happily keep eating my 3 eggs daily......
I don't have any problem with anybody and especially you eating eggs or anything else.

The Startling Link Between Sugar and Alzheimer's

I think most have seen the studies in the past few years linking sugar and a high carb diet to cognitive decline. Here is the latest study reviewed in The Atlantic magazine.

The Startling Link Between Sugar and Alzheimer's

"A longitudinal study, published Thursday in the journal Diabetologia, followed 5,189 people over 10 years and found that people with high blood sugar had a faster rate of cognitive decline than those with normal blood sugar—whether or not their blood-sugar level technically made them diabetic. In other words, the higher the blood sugar, the faster the cognitive decline."

I never cared whether fat was "good for you" or not. I just always hated it. Loathe most fatty foods (especially meats), and have since I was a little kid who thought sausage smelled nasty, and wouldn't allow butter on my mashed potatoes.

So, while I am like everybody else, looking for the healthiest diet - I am not exactly in love with a way of eating that seems to be loaded with foods I dislike. Paleo seems like the best compromise so far.

But fat isn't bad for you anymore! That's the glory of low carb.

All those benefits are the same ones listed for a plant-based whole food diet which I suppose could be a low-carb diet.

I don't usually eat bread, pasta, white rice, potatoes. But I do eat popcorn, oatmeal, brown rice, and milk chocolate. I avoid eggs, milk, meats, fish, but I will eat them.

I don't count calories, nor measure carbs, nor measure protein.

Not measuring things is perfect if you don't have to. If you are an appropriate weight and in good health just eat what you like.
I can't do that. Last year I was Dx'd pre-diabetic, went from a normal Hb1Ac to 5.7 to 5.9 in less than a year. My Dr had seen patients on this slope and advised I would be on insulin next year and signed me up for chronic condition workshops. I refused to accept this, bought a blood glucose meter and massively changed my diet. Not keto but reduced carbs (100-150) more fat (don't count protien or fat), exercise and taking a useful suppliment (Berberine). My last Hb1Ac was 5.3, very surprised Dr. But...I don't eat 'normal' no sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta , bread (except some buckwheat bread I find doesn't spike me) Lots of fats (they taste good).
My LDL went down a little, HDL up triglycerides down sharp. All now 'normal'.
I eat a lot of food, am never hungry and lost 13 Lbs (I was not overweight). My doctor now wants me to eat more and more carbs in particular to put on weight. I will 'eat to my meter' to keep my blood sugar under control without meds.

Now the fun part; in our house DW is pretty much vegan, always on a diet, always hungry and works hard to lose any weight. She is agast that I am 'going Atkins' and does not want any meat in 'her kitchen'. But she has seen me turn around my blood sugar and lose weight and consume large plates of food, I don't say much. Just mentioned that a person could be a vegeterian on a low carb diet.

Not measuring things is perfect if you don't have to. If you are an appropriate weight and in good health just eat what you like.
I can't do that. Last year I was Dx'd pre-diabetic, went from a normal Hb1Ac to 5.7 to 5.9 in less than a year. My Dr had seen patients on this slope and advised I would be on insulin next year and signed me up for chronic condition workshops.

That's absurd. You need a new doctor, stat! That A1c change, while possibly being a good wake up call, is a margin of error sort of thing. A good week or so of fruity drinks during a vacation could cause that. Now that you've seen your numbers, stick with your lower carb eating and most likely everything will be fine. But definitely dump that doctor. He/she sounds like a nut.

That's absurd. You need a new doctor, stat! That A1c change, while possibly being a good wake up call, is a margin of error sort of thing. A good week or so of fruity drinks during a vacation could cause that. Now that you've seen your numbers, stick with your lower carb eating and most likely everything will be fine. But definitely dump that doctor. He/she sounds like a nut.

I would hesitate to criticize the doctor. Too many minimize diabetes, following the ADA guideline of “keep your A1c under 7.0.” The damage happens early, and even the lesser consequences can be nasty. A short sharp shock can be just what the doctor ordered to encourage compliance.

(Dx’ed 20 years ago.)

The link below is to a NYT article about a type 1 diabetic that goes on the Whole30 diet (whole food low refined carb) to control his blood sugar. Its behind a pay wall, but I think you can get 8 or 10 articles free each month.

On the Whole30 Diet, Vowing to Eat ‘Smarter’ Carbs for More Than 30 Days

"My self-experiment provided direct evidence that not all carbs are equal. It also sent me to Dr. David Ludwig, a professor in the department of nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health who’s spent his career exploring how and why carbohydrates affect our hormones and body weight and the corresponding risks for chronic diseases like mine. "

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom