Lowering cholesterol without statins - I did it!!!

Well that just adds to the confusion.

My understanding is that the HDL/trig ratio is more important than total cholesterol. Who knows for sure?

No matter what you've come to "understand" it's true. According to someone somewhere. But unless and until these things are universally known and understood the same way to the same extent by all practitioners, in every human specimen (As a rule) they cannot count.

There are too many differing opinions, too many disagreeing doctors, and too many studies that "suggest" and "indicate" some conclusion that none of them can be taken seriously. And then, of course, even they keep changing.

Sounds more like religion and what one chooses to believe or which "Book" one perceives has having primacy, than science. Or maybe more like sports fans. I like the Fish team best. No, the bird team is best! Why? Because

Well it could have been the brand of fish oil. Quality seems to vary a lot, and rancidity can be hard to tell since fish oil smells regardless, and with my allergies my sense of smell is not so good anyway.

However, I have found that Kroger brand fish oil (I buy the kind that gives almost 1000 mg of EPA and DHA in only one capsule and I take one twice per day) has not caused me any gastrointestinal problems. What it has done is allowed me to back off on some of my pain meds for my knees, which were ruined by statins.

I have no experience with CoQ10, or if it even can be absorbed through the stomach (vaguely recall reading something back when I was suffering with statins that absorption of CoQ10 orally is very poor).

Great to hear your positive experience with fish oil! Finding a high quality version is key. I've had some in the past that gave me the worst fish burps.

Regular CoQ10 has poor absorption because it's a huge molecule and doesn't dissolve very well. I take a water and fat-soluble form for better absorption. There are actually clinical trials which showed that it is able to get into the blood stream.

https://www.webmd.com/prostate-canc...l-might-boost-prostate-cancer-risk-study-says

Here’s a snippet:
Eating a lot of oily fish or taking potent fish oil supplements may increase a man's risk of developing prostate cancer, new research suggests.

Moreover, marine sources of omega-3 fatty acids may also raise the risk for aggressive prostate cancer, according to the study by scientists at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle.

to each his own as I said and not interested in getting into a "study war", but I'm also not a big fan of webMD, as others have also indicated they are not as well. WebMD still pushes, last I looked, the standard low fat high carb (and therefore almost inevitably high processed) diet. Would suggest you dig into the sources of the WebMD study, looking at number of participants, how long they were studied, what if any controls there were for their having other conditions which would have an overwhelming effect on their cancer susceptibility, etc. IIRC, the one i posted was directly from a medical school, Harvard I believe and had a large number of participants.

Back
Top Bottom