Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is a whole category of "Advantage" plans offered by every carrier. Did the OP rule all of these out? Should we?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
There is a whole category of "Advantage" plans offered by every carrier. Did the OP rule all of these out? Should we?
We will - because we don't want to be tied to any "network". And networks tend to be local.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to a broker on Tuesday the 14th.. I hate that my state MN does not use the Alphabet soup most of the country does. It makes it much harder to compare plans. I have no idea what I will pick as far aa a company. I think I want to go with the lowest priced plan that requires underwriting since I have one free enrollment without underwriting. I don't have issues but I know that if I have medical problems I can't upgrade to a more comprehensive plan since I wouldn't pass underwriting at that time.

As far a billing my DH at 69 has had a few issues we have Blue Cross Senior Gold and haven't paid one cent out of pocket. But, it's expensive and the price goes up every year.

The darn EOB is so complicated I can't even figure out what he would owe without any supplemental insurance. It's beyond murky.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

This is not complicated. I would consider F and G only. Maybe the high-deductible F. To determine between those 3 I would compare premiums. For example, when DH got his policy some years ago, F was the way to go. The others didn't save enough in premium to make them worthwhile. But, that was then and that was where we are.

You should compare for your location. I like F and G because they are the only plan to cover the Part B excess charges (if any). The high-deductible version of F may be good if it saves you enough money on premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Last yer I qualified and switched from full plan F to G and saved about $120/month in premium difference. The G deductible is only $183/year.
That is interesting. When DH went on Medicare several years ago I checked then and the cost difference of the two was basically identical to the G deductible. So, for simplicity, he just selected F since G didn't really save anything. I go on Medicare next year and will revisit it for myself. I will likely choose F or G. I do agree with the post about simplicity. I remember during my mom's last couple of years when she had a lot of medical needs. She had Plan G and she could manage that. I think it would have been very difficult for her to manage some of the more complex plans with lots of co-payments.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:31 AM   #25

Several posts have mentioned that F is to be discontinued. I thought only the regular (low deductible) F was going away, and that the F High Deductible was sticking around.

Am I wrong?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Several posts have mentioned that F is to be discontinued. I thought only the regular (low deductible) F was going away, and that the F High Deductible was sticking around. Am I wrong?

Both versions of F will not be available to those who become eligible for Medicare on 1/1/2020 or later. Those eligible prior to 2020 can keep their plan. HD-G becomes available in 2020.

Quote:
18. What changes are made to High Deductible Plan options?
Since Plan F High Deductible cannot be sold to those "newly eligible" Medicare beneficiaries, a new Plan G High Deductible is created.

19. When can the new High Deductible Plan G be sold and who can buy it?
Plan G High Deductible can be made available beginning on January 1, 2020; "newly eligible" Medicare beneficiaries and current beneficiaries would be able to buy the new Plan G High Deductible.

Source: http://www.naic.org/documents/commit...edigap_faq.pdf

Federal Register update: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-201...2017-18605.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
When DH went on Medicare several years ago I checked then and the cost difference of the two was basically identical to the G deductible. So, for simplicity, he just selected F since G didn't really save anything. I go on Medicare next year and will revisit it for myself.
If he is currently healthy enough to pass underwriting, you may want to revisit this for him. More companies are now offering G making it more competitive.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

DW and I are also Plan G fans. Just look at premium cost difference between Plans F and G, subtract $183, and there is your cost savings Plan G vs Plan F.
JAB1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For those of you who haven't seen it, you can get an idea on what rates are for plans in your area using this link: https://www.bestmedicaresupplement.com/

The price differential between insurers for the same plan can be substantial.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
My objection to Advantage plans is that they often limit networks. Although I believe it may vary by area, where I live nearly every doctor accepts original Medicare and most accept assignment as well.

I had a very serious diagnosis almost immediately after going on Medicare - fortuitous timing since I had previously been on a terrible Obamacare plan which was the only one available in my area. I received tip of the arrow treatment at a nationally renown facility closeby. I'm now about a year out from treatment and my prognosis is very good.

I would not have been able to receive care at this provider under any Medicare Advantage plan. Also, had I not had Plan G (or F) the excess charges (which apply with this provider because they accept Medicare but not Medicare assignment) would not have been covered.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #30

As a result of reading this thread, I checked the current rates for F vs G from my provider--a Blue. This is the first year they are offering a G plan and would generate 180/ea per year savings for us.
Planning on making the change to G, I called to see what was involved with the false belief that it would just be a matter of some key strokes by the provider. NOT A CHANCE! Seriously, if there is an industry that can make simple tasks hard and time consuming it has to be the insurance world.
Basically have to apply as a new applicant. Apparently there is a question if I am current plan holder but otherwise it is new application. I asked if that implied an underwriting and got a weasel answer that it could depending on underwriting. If completed application this week, new plan rate would start next month. The rep did emphasize not to cancel our current Plan F with them until I received the Plan G cards.
I also have to scan and send with the application the front and back of our current member card--yeah, the ones they sent to us.

I also confirmed that for any doc bills this year, I would also be on the hook for the $183 Medicare deductible. So from a timing point of view, probably best to wait to next calendar year.

Besides the hassle of the application paper work, we will also have to establish new payment authorizations for the new plan and cancel the old ones (get $5/mon discount for autopay). So lots of 'foo foo' stuff for what the insurance company already has the ability to do in their own systems.

Has anyone attempted to make this type of change of plans? Did you have jump through the same hoops? Any watchouts?
Thanks
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
As a result of reading this thread, I checked the current rates for F vs G from my provider--a Blue. This is the first year they are offering a G plan and would generate 180/ea per year savings for us.
If you haven't already done so, I strongly recommend you check the G rates from other carriers. As you see, there is no real advantage in staying with your current insurer because the hoops you have to jump through aren't any less burdensome than going with someone new. Plus, based on my recent experience, the Blue carrier's rates are significantly higher than many other Medigap providers, at least in my zip. One example - Blue's rates for G are $60/mo more than Mutual of Omaha's G rates.

As I've said, it really does pay to shop around on Medigap.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB1950 View Post
DW and I are also Plan G fans. Just look at premium cost difference between Plans F and G, subtract $183, and there is your cost savings Plan G vs Plan F.
Am I correct in thinking the $183 is yearly and the quotes are monthly?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Am I correct in thinking the $183 is yearly and the quotes are monthly?
Yes.

(Rate difference x 12) - 183 = Annual savings
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
If you haven't already done so, I strongly recommend you check the G rates from other carriers. As you see, there is no real advantage in staying with your current insurer because the hoops you have to jump through aren't any less burdensome than going with someone new.
+1

It's an insurance agent's job to make the process seem easy and painless.

WA Medigap rates can be found here: https://www.insurance.wa.gov/media/1807

Loyal American (a Cigna company) Plan G is $158/month for ages 65+ because WA is community-rated. That compares to the Blue's F ($214) and Blue's G ($185).
Quote:
WA Residents: If you're already enrolled in a Medigap plan B through N, you can switch at any time to another Medigap plan B through N. If you have a Medigap plan A, you can switch to any other Medigap plan A. In either of these situations, you do not have to take a written health screening questionnaire.

Source: https://www.insurance.wa.gov/when-ca...-medigap-plans
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
+1

It's an insurance agent's job to make the process seem easy and painless.

WA Medigap rates can be found here: https://www.insurance.wa.gov/media/1807

Loyal American (a Cigna company) Plan G is $158/month for ages 65+ because WA is community-rated. That compares to the Blue's F ($214) and Blue's G ($185).
All points well made! If we got to dance around and fill out forms, redo autopays, etc hard to see any reason not to go a qualified lowest cost provider. The Cigna price of 158/mon certainly seems superior to Premera's 185.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #36

I'm not eligible until 2/1/2020 so I will miss out on F plans. Sounds like a G would be what I'll be looking into.

What is the difference between "accepts Medicare" and "accepts Medicare assignment?"

To those of us who have been dealing with $6000+ deductibles with Obamacare, a $183 deductible sounds wonderful!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
What is the difference between "accepts Medicare" and "accepts Medicare assignment?"
Some physicians take Medicare patients but do not accept assignment, and can charge 15% over the Medicare reimbursement rate. Plans F and G cover that as "excess charges).

Quote:

To those of us who have been dealing with $6000+ deductibles with Obamacare, a $183 deductible sounds wonderful!
It sure does.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Has anyone attempted to make this type of change of plans? Did you have jump through the same hoops? Any watchouts?
Thanks
I switched starting 2018 with BCBS of AZ. Did it with just a phone call, I even called twice and Ms G once, because I couldn't believe it was that easy before I pulled the trigger.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #39

Quote:
I'm not eligible until 2/1/2020 so I will miss out on F plans. Sounds like a G would be what I'll be looking into.
You might want to also consider N, especially if you live in one of the states that don't permit excess charges: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Vermont. Plan N does not cover excess charges (F and G do) and therefore has lower premiums.

I don't live in one of those states but the number of health care providers in my area that don't take assignment is very small - I've never run across one. That's why we opted for the lower premium costs of plan N. We're willing to assume the slight risk of having to pay an excess charge, knowing the amount is limited to no more than 15% of the amount Medicare allows.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

REWahoo posted this pricing link:
https://www.bestmedicaresupplement.com/
Very useful. I'm not eligible for a few more years but like to plan ahead, so I looked.
Many here seem to be gravitating to plan G, BUT I'm concerned by this statement on the above web site:
Quote:
Plans C, D, F, HDF, M & N cover foreign travel emergencies. There is a $250 deductible and then the Medicare supplement will pay 80% of the cost of the care. The emergency must be within the first 60 days of your stay outside the USA. Lifetime benefits are $50,000. Plans A, B, G & K do not cover foreign travel emergencies.
If true that plan G doesn't cover foreign travel it would be a deal breaker for me. Is this correct?