Multitasking is bad, mkay

harley

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is probably more useful for those still in the w*rk world, and it definitely confirms something I've believed for a long time - Neuroscientists say multitasking literally drains the energy reserves of your brain.

When we attempt to multitask, we don’t actually do more than one activity at once, but quickly switch between them. And this switching is exhausting. It uses up oxygenated glucose in the brain, running down the same fuel that’s needed to focus on a task.

“That switching comes with a biological cost that ends up making us feel tired much more quickly than if we sustain attention on one thing,” says Daniel Levitin, professor of behavioral neuroscience at McGill University. “People eat more, they take more caffeine. Often what you really need in that moment isn’t caffeine, but just a break. If you aren’t taking regular breaks every couple of hours, your brain won’t benefit from that extra cup of coffee."

Studies have found that people who take 15-minute breaks every couple of hours end up being more productive, says Levitin. But these breaks must allow for mind-wandering, whether you’re walking, staring out the window, listening to music or reading. “Everyone gets there a different way. But surfing Facebook is not one of them,” he says. Social networks just produce more fractured attention, as you flit from one thing to the next.
I find it quite interesting, as I was a massive multitasker during my career. And I was constantly eating, as well as sucking down massive quantities of diet cola (my form of caffeine intake). It never felt like a healthy lifestyle, but it seemed to be what I needed to do my job.

I tell you, as science validates more and more of my opinions, I might actually start trusting them more. Now if they could just get the weather forecast right...

Question - is draining the energy reserves of your brain a bad thing?

OK - take short breaks. I find that really hard to do when I'm slogging my way through a difficult problem or finishing up a critical task. See sig line.

I tell you, as science validates more and more of my opinions, I might actually start trusting them more.

I believe that's confirmation basis? Let me look it up on one of 13 open tabs. After I get back from walking the dogs. After I make more coffee. After I... :D

No doubt in my mind multitasking drains the energy. The other day, I was watching service for the recent tragic events on my streaming device (really wish I could pause streamed live) then got a phone call from a brother and he talked for about an hour. I spent trying to focus on the service and the phone conversation and pretty much ended up feeling mentally exhausted and not retaining a whole lot of either. Had to rewatch some clips of the service on youtube.

Multitasking is pretty much like zig zagging in and out of lanes during a traffic jam that gives the impression of making progress.

I'd write more now, but gotta check my facebook, twitter, text and snapchats.

Okay, the previous sentence was just me trying to be sarcastic :D.

I made a conscious effort to avoid multi tasking in recent years, and encouraged my team to do the same, especially when it was me they were supposed to be listening to. In my MC, multi-tasking basically meant sitting on mute on a conference call and pretending to pay attention while simultaneously reading emails and IM's. All of which suffered as a result.

"sorry i didn't catch that could you repeat the question?"

Sheesh, gotta stop chewing gum and walk at the same time.

I never could multi task. I used to get so focused, fellow workers would literally say "Earth to Hermit!" to get my attention. :cool:

Uh-oh, I think I already see that happening!

Audrey, who mumbles "Now, what was I doing?" to herself at least once a day.

That's a perfect depiction of me, except for the age activated part. I've always been that way.

Back
Top Bottom