Night Guard for Teeth Grinding

I think they are very common. My 20 year old nephew just started wearing one due to grinding.
If it starts yellowing or getting calcified, bring it to the dentist for deep cleaning.

Used a $400 dentist provided hard one that clipped on the front top teeth for 6 years. I was like a dog going after a chew toy. I would wear it to the point where it would get sharp enough to cut my lip and would need to round it a bit with a file. Annoying side effect is that it was actually pushing my top teeth up into my gums because I would bite so hard on it all night.

I bought a mold-on-top/hard-on-bottom one from Amazon for something like $20. It's big and I had to remold it twice before I got it right -- woke up with a lot of pain when it wasn't exactly right.

Now I much prefer the new/semi-soft one.

As others have said, no mouth guard=no teeth for me.

Last edited:
Following up from my post from yesterday, here is the link to the Internet site that manufacturers custom night guards for individuals and dentists: Night Guard for Teeth Grinding - Pro Teeth Guard

Their popular unit costs $159 shipped. I will probably order one soon. (edit: I actually ordered the $189 heavy duty unit today).

Only after trying this one and having it not work out would I consider the dentist recommended $600 one.

-gauss

Last edited:
I'm so cheap that when I had an implant placed in my lower jaw, rather than get a new bite guard I just lopped off the back end so the implant site was uncovered. When I'd asked the oral surgeon who placed the implant if I should wear the bite guard, he just about jumped out of his chair and told me to wait 6 weeks, then proceeded to tell me a horror story about a patient who hadn't, and ended up with big problems because the bite guard had put pressure on the implant site.

So, my bite guard looks weird but it still does the job of keeping my upper and lower teeth separated at night. I also realized some of the rest of you who are dealing with multiple dental problems should be warned that if you get an implant you may need to avoid the bite guard till the site heals.

Grest point Athena,
The brand I use a top and bottom NTI only covers a couple of teeth on the bottom and the top so it reduces that probability of work interfering with wearing it. Dentist suggested that brand due to migraines and c-spine issues. These are kinda of odd shaped things that must be measured at a dentist's office. I really like the feel, but I wouldn't suggest that design for someone's first gaurd.

I wouldn't call what you did cheap, more like resourceful.

I've worn one for years too, I find it helps with sleeping beachside I don't get the awful "my teeth are falling out" nightmares.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I was getting some teeth pain which the dentist said would go away with the guard. It did.

The dentist recommended a non-abrasive cleaner. DW got some liquid soap solution which has a pump. Just a dab on a small brush in the morning and takes only a few seconds. Keeps it clean and fresh. The dentist says that the night guard can develop plaque if you don't clean it. For $400 I'll develop good habits.

I buy guards for about $30 from CVS that I put in hot water and custom mold to my top teeth. I had my last one for over a year but it had some deep ruts in it. Decided to get a new one just because. I buy them when I have a 30% off coupon and always have a new one available in case I leave my current one in a hotel. The guard keeps my top teeth from touching my bottom teeth and I've never had any jaw pain or tooth pain from wearing it. I don't have dental insurance now but when I worked and had dental insurance, the insurance dropped the cost from $400 to about $200.

I had to find a new dentist because mine retired. During my initial exam, he basically berated me for stooping to using a non-custom bite guard. I asked him if the point wasn't to keep the teeth apart and if my guard did that and was comfortable enough that I wore it every night, what did it matter? He waived his hand at me and said, "I won't comment on what you're using because I didn't make it for you." Jerk. Won't be going back there.

That's what I do Buckeye, vote with my feet. But just once I'd like to tell someone like that he's a jerk.

Speaking of these night guards, has anyone used a similar product to reduce snoring? Any success reported by your spouse?

I was prescribed one 15 years ago for jaw pain and bruxism. Wish I'd gotten one earlier. I wear it at the gym and for working in the yard, as well as sleeping. It presents no "relationship issues" LOL it did take practice to learn to talk without sounding mush-mouthed. I use denture tablets to clean it. Good luck!

Speaking of these night guards, has anyone used a similar product to reduce snoring? Any success reported by your spouse?

Just different styles of nightgaurds for bruxism. DW says she no longer is kept awake due to grinding, snoring is sometimes still an issue

...... During my initial exam, he basically berated me for stooping to using a non-custom bite guard. I asked him if the point wasn't to keep the teeth apart and if my guard did that and was comfortable enough that I wore it every night, what did it matter? He waived his hand at me and said, "I won't comment on what you're using because I didn't make it for you." Jerk. Won't be going back there.

I'd like to hear a dentist's perspective on this. As I said, I've been using a sports mouth guard for 35 years and it seems to work fine.

Charging $400+ for a molded piece of plastic seems like a racket, but perhaps I just don't understand.

Charging $400+ for a molded piece of plastic seems like a racket, but perhaps I just don't understand.

I'm thinking the same thing but since this is my first one I didn't want to wing it with an off-the-rack drugstore model and maybe end up with even more pain/shifting/structural problems. At least this way if it doesn't work I can try the cheapies and be no worse off and possibly better off.

I'm thinking the same thing but since this is my first one I didn't want to wing it with an off-the-rack drugstore model and maybe end up with even more pain/shifting/structural problems. At least this way if it doesn't work I can try the cheapies and be no worse off and possibly better off.
Go for it. I'm sure that both you and your dentist will be happy.

DH wears one and then tries to talk to me before going to sleep and frankly, I can't understand him.

He goes to the dentist who has them made for him. His bruxism is so bad he has worn down the enamel on many of his teeth and he had several implants as well. His guards cost about $600 a piece and he goes through them about every 2 years. We have money left in the FSA this year which I am not sure we will use up since I avoid going to the doctor unless I have to (I am one), so I said, sure, go for a new one before the FSA ends on 7/1.

What do you suppose is causing all this bruxism? Is life truly so stressful for us all, or do we just not know how to handle life without gnashing our teeth all the time?

Amethyst

What do you suppose is causing all this bruxism? Is life truly so stressful for us all, or do we just not know how to handle life without gnashing our teeth all the time?

Amethyst
I'm pretty sure it is the mercury in the vaccines.

I used to grind my teeth, but the problem went away after I divorced my first wife. That was 22 years ago and the problem never came back.

I used to grind my teeth, but the problem went away after I divorced my first wife. That was 22 years ago and [-]the problem[/-] she never came back.

FIFY

I have a mouth guard from my dentist. I was clenching my jaw. Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night with my jaw stuck. I would have to physically and mentally relax to release my jaw. I was also wearing down my teeth. The mouth guard really helped. However, I have not worn the mouth guard for past 6 months and haven't had any issues....also retired 8 months ago. So may have been work related.

I have a night guard too and I think it helps.

Retired but still use it.

It was helpful Friday evening. I broke a tooth. I put the night guard on and it held the tooth in place long enough to get to the dentist.

I have a mouth guard from my dentist. I was clenching my jaw. Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night with my jaw stuck. I would have to physically and mentally relax to release my jaw. I was also wearing down my teeth. The mouth guard really helped. However, I have not worn the mouth guard for past 6 months and haven't had any issues....also retired 8 months ago. So may have been work related.
Sounds like you were an extreme case while working. I'm not sure how easy it is to monitor ourselves. One might have some dental symptoms that do not show up as symptoms one can feel. If it were me, I'd talk it over with the dentist just to get his take.

I could probably dump my mouth guard, but it's pretty easy to use it. Occasionally I don't wear it just to rebel.

Sounds like you were an extreme case while working. I'm not sure how easy it is to monitor ourselves. One might have some dental symptoms that do not show up as symptoms one can feel. If it were me, I'd talk it over with the dentist just to get his take.

I could probably dump my mouth guard, but it's pretty easy to use it. Occasionally I don't wear it just to rebel.

Good point. I was never aware that I was grinding my teeth in my sleep until my dentist pointed out the wear. DW was unaware she was grinding until I told her I could hear a clicking noise as she slept and the dentist confirmed evidence of grinding.

So with a data set of two points, it seems like we may not realize we need a night guard when we do need one.

Back
Top Bottom