Discomfort/pain gum area near teeth

If it’s a permanent crown. It will not come off.

Cautionary tale: my husband was in for his semi annual cleaning. He asked the hygienist (his favorite, who he always requests) to stay away from his crown when she was flossing & that he always stays away from it, for fear of it coming out. She told him that can’t happen, it’s permanent, and proceeded to floss the tooth. Want to guess what happened? Yup, his crown came out. She came out to the waiting room almost in tears to tell me. So he had to get a temp made and inserted that day and then come back for another “permanent” one. And we had to pay for it!!!

She still remembers it and says she feels bad about it years later. And of course he continues to say “I knew that was going to happen”.

Truthfully I didn’t think the permanent ones could come out, especially just from floss - but I guess they can. So be careful!

I can’t floss either. Between my arthritis and my teeth fitting so tightly together, I just can’t do it. I do use the Sonic electric toothbrush and I always get glowing remarks from the hygienist during a cleaning. I also use a prescription toothpaste, Prevident, each morning and Biotene in the evening. Works great!
My crowns and bridges from my Air Force days are still going strong after 30 years. I had a lot of work done then and none has been replaced.

I bought this one over 10 years ago now and still use it. It works great, it has an adapter that attaches to your shower head. It cost less than $20 back then and it really helped my gums. I never flossed but with this it's so easy and no mess.

https://www.amazon.com/H2oral-Irrigator-Wanting-Fortune-Flosser/dp/B004V4RUZ4/

This is the same as Water Pik technique right?

Cautionary tale: my husband was in for his semi annual cleaning. He asked the hygienist (his favorite, who he always requests) to stay away from his crown when she was flossing & that he always stays away from it, for fear of it coming out. She told him that can’t happen, it’s permanent, and proceeded to floss the tooth. Want to guess what happened? Yup, his crown came out. She came out to the waiting room almost in tears to tell me. So he had to get a temp made and inserted that day and then come back for another “permanent” one. And we had to pay for it!!!

She still remembers it and says she feels bad about it years later. And of course he continues to say “I knew that was going to happen”.

Truthfully I didn’t think the permanent ones could come out, especially just from floss - but I guess they can. So be careful!
Depends who did the crown work.
I can’t floss either. Between my arthritis and my teeth fitting so tightly together, I just can’t do it. I do use the Sonic electric toothbrush and I always get glowing remarks from the hygienist during a cleaning. I also use a prescription toothpaste, Prevident, each morning and Biotene in the evening. Works great!
My crowns and bridges from my Air Force days are still going strong after 30 years. I had a lot of work done then and none has been replaced.

How do you clean between your teeth?

Flossing did help. So it did remove pain from or original area but new pain between teeth on guns. Probably because I flossed too hard?

If it’s a permanent crown. It will not come off.

I have had a permanent bridge come off - after 20+ years. Reinserted it to insure no tooth movement and had the dentist re-cement it a couple of days later. He wanted to make a new one. Uh, no!

Had plenty of issues with teeth, but hygienist always compliments me on my home care - must just be blessed with good mouth chemistry. Kept my wisdom teeth until just a few years back.

I've had "Pockets" develop in my gums, some on the order of 6 or 7, so I've had to undergo a deep cleaning — also called periodontal scaling or root planing.

Everyone has their own comfort level and my Periodontist works wonders.
At one point, I had no dental insurance and the procedure is expensive... ~ $1,000 / quadrant. In a nutshell, he separates the gum from the tooth, scales the root area, then sews it back together (between the teeth).
I usually only have minor pain the next day, and for fun, I usually dull my pain with a few shots of Jack Daniels, NEAT.
Ohhhh the STING ! LOL ! I'm serious though.
In about a week or so, I go back and have the sutures removed and move on the the next/other half and do it all over again.
You may or may not have to go that far, and I've had it done twice over the past 25 years (I'm in my late 60's).

There's a less painful approach, whereas they'll numb you up and get underneath the gums with no cutting.
You may be a candidate for either or none....good luck though.

deep cleaning — also called periodontal scaling or root planing.

My understanding from my experience is this is the less painful thing, no cutting or stitches.

The cutting and stitching approach was called Osseous surgery.

Neither one is pleasant.The surgery was worse. If that does not cut it, the next step is extraction. And you hope you don't have too much bone loss to be a good candidate for implants.

I've had "Pockets" develop in my gums, some on the order of 6 or 7, so I've had to undergo a deep cleaning — also called periodontal scaling or root planing.

I've had gums approaching 5 and the dentist put me on a 5000 ppm fluoride toothpaste. It has reduced the numbers which I don't fully understand. The dentist mentioned "remineralization" but another dentist I use in the Islands didn't subscribe to that theory. Doctors! Whatcha gonna do? They each seem to have their own theories of everything. YMMV

Everyone has their own comfort level and my Periodontist works wonders.
At one point, I had no dental insurance and the procedure is expensive... ~ $1,000 / quadrant. In a nutshell, he separates the gum from the tooth, scales the root area, then sews it back together (between the teeth).
I usually only have minor pain the next day, and for fun, I usually dull my pain with a few shots of Jack Daniels, NEAT.
Ohhhh the STING ! LOL ! I'm serious though.
In about a week or so, I go back and have the sutures removed and move on the the next/other half and do it all over again.
You may or may not have to go that far, and I've had it done twice over the past 25 years (I'm in my late 60's).

There's a less painful approach, whereas they'll numb you up and get underneath the gums with no cutting.
You may be a candidate for either or none....good luck though.
That sounds more like a gum graft if there's stitches involved. I had it done to help an area with a really bad gum recession and it was a horrible procedure and lots of blood afterward for a couple of weeks before the stitches came out. Not sure I would do it again.
I've also had the regular deep cleaning done by the hygienist with the ultrasonic cleaner and that's a pretty painless procedure.

I have had similar developing pain issues under or at thee gum line for a few years. I do use a Sonicare, floss, but no waterpik. My dentist and hygienist told me I was developing "root sensitivity" due to mild periodontal disease, causing the gums to recede slightly. They recommended using Sensodyne Repair and Protect Toothpaste. Once I started using the Sensodyne, brushing once in the morning and once a night, I have no more pain. If I skip a day, or use a generic brand (like Walmart Equate equivalent) the pain will start to come back. I have been using the Sensodyne for over four years with great results.

Just my two cents, but might be worth trying.

There is nothing “permanent” in dentistry, not even permanent teeth! It’s either fixed or removeable.

The VA dental insurance plan (VADIP) is excellent. I pay $43.48 monthly for the high option with Delta Dental. There is also a plan with MetLife. No annual deductible, $3,000 in coverage.

deep cleaning — also called periodontal scaling or root planing.

The cutting and stitching approach was called Osseous surgery.

Neither one is pleasant.The surgery was worse. If that does not cut it, the next step is extraction. And you hope you don't have too much bone loss to be a good candidate for implants.

Thanks, that's the word I was searching for..."OSSEOUS" surgery.
It's been a decade ago, but I remember the procedure quite well.
I truly remember having my "Jack Daniels, NEAT" much better though

I used to have many size four pockets in my gums. I hate when they check my gum depths.

About 18 months ago, I started using a water pik in the shower s couple times a week and a miracle happened! I no longer have any fours and only have one or two threes. I floss a few times a week, brush with an electric toothbrush and use the water pik.

The water pik is a life changer for me!

Our hygienist also recommends the Sonic Care toothbrush. We haven't invested in them yet.

Back
Top Bottom