Discomfort/pain gum area near teeth

F.I.R.E User

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For about a week or two I’ve had discomfort/mild sharp pain (not enough for me to take any pain medication) on my gums, upper right area behind teeth. The Occlusal night guard there I wear all day (for grinding) causes the pain to elevate.

Every 3 months I go to the Dentist to do cleaning which includes Periodontal Maintenance:

Gingival Irrigation - Per Quadrant
Topical Application of Flouride Varnish.
Application of Desensitizing.
Perio Charting.

Last treatment was 5/9/22.

Today, I went to my Dentist to pick up a new night guard (old was broken/worn out). Took X-Rays. Discovery: Tarter buildup and Hygienist also talked about pockets there. Apparently, my flossing technique was not good meaning I was moving too fast to get through the process. I was told by the Hygienist that I need to spend more time running the floss around the side walls of tooth to remove plaque and use warm water with salt. I also use a mouthwash to control plaque and gingivitis also with Hydrogen Peroxide oral rinse.

Any Advice?

I use a Water Pik Water Flosser.
Also a proxa brush.

Can't deal with the box floss or the swords.

Is it less work and faster?

I use the $1 floss which comes with 100 yards. H‑E‑B brand Hill Country Essentials. It doesn’t matter what kind of floss is it right?

I have receding gums, so do a lot of tooth and gum care. I also have an implant and several crowns.
I have a sonic care rechargeable battery toothbrush and I use both regular floss and the brush flossers Riane posted.
I also have a water pik. I use warm water and add either fluoride mouthwash, hydrogen peroxide or my prescription mouthwash, depending on how sensitive my gums are or if there is any bleeding, etc. I have my water pik on the middle setting.

I also have a night guard. Just got a new one that I love. It is so much thinner and smaller than the old one. Much easier to wear and more comfortable.

I spend more time than usual flossing, not a quick swipe through just to get stuck food particles.. Because of the receding gums, I have more area prone to cavities or infection.
I have to swipe/floss up and down the side surfaces of each tooth. I use a thicker, non waxed floss. I floss every time after eating anything, and swish with water.

Good luck finding the method that works the best for you. So far, I have kept my gums from getting worse for over five years with this process.

I have receding gums, so do a lot of tooth and gum care. I also have an implant and several crowns.
I have a sonic care rechargeable battery toothbrush and I use both regular floss and the brush flossers Riane posted.
I also have a water pik. I use warm water and add either fluoride mouthwash, hydrogen peroxide or my prescription mouthwash, depending on how sensitive my gums are or if there is any bleeding, etc. I have my water pik on the middle setting.

I also have a night guard. Just got a new one that I love. It is so much thinner and smaller than the old one. Much easier to wear and more comfortable.

I spend more time than usual flossing, not a quick swipe through just to get stuck food particles.. Because of the receding gums, I have more area prone to cavities or infection.
I have to swipe/floss up and down the side surfaces of each tooth. I use a thicker, non waxed floss. I floss every time after eating anything, and swish with water.

Good luck finding the method that works the best for you. So far, I have kept my gums from getting worse for over five years with this process.

Looks like I will have to floss throughly and after each meal. I have felt better since yesterday. Let’s see if this continues to help me.

I use pretty much the same type brush and I have 20 crowns and a few implants. Plus I use a water pick. Never anything wrong at dental cleaning time every 4 months.

I like the water pick! :cool:

What kind of work do you get done there?

I understand Prince Charles said the same thing about his mom...

Temp may come off.

What kind of work do you get done there?

Old fillings were falling out (military installed!) after 40 + years. Lower teeth worn down, front two uppers were broken in a car wreck many years ago and posts were getting loose. In other words, complete rebuild of my teeth over a three year period. Expensive!:D

Old fillings were falling out (military installed!) after 40 + years.

I know nothing of military medical care but I've also had a couple/three 30-40 year-old fillings replaced. They were installed by a dentist who by all accounts did excellent work but they never claimed the fillings have a lifetime guarantee. Apparently they do wear out.

I know nothing of military medical care but I've also had a couple/three 30-40 year-old fillings replaced. They were installed by a dentist who by all accounts did excellent work but they never claimed the fillings have a lifetime guarantee. Apparently they do wear out.

The old ones did, the new ones...probably never.

Old fillings were falling out (military installed!) after 40 + years. Lower teeth worn down, front two uppers were broken in a car wreck many years ago and posts were getting loose. In other words, complete rebuild of my teeth over a three year period. Expensive!:D

You had insurance from VA pay for it?

Depends on what you were chewing and how often.

The old ones did, the new ones...probably never.

Ok.

My dentist told me there is no way I could pull a crown off with the type of adhesive they use,
:LOL:

superglue.jpg

Back
Top Bottom