No Cataract Surgery for Me

I opted for monovision and love the result. No more glasses. I do have prescription glasses for driving as I want crisper vision than the monovision affords. I debated for months between multis and mono and actually put off the surgery until I was completely satisfied with my decision.

That said, my eyes will never be the eyes of a 20 year old :LOL:.

Mono vision and love it! I was legally blind(uncorrected) since age 8. I have a pair of standard bifocals that I do need for reading or detailed tasks. I'll use them occasionally for shooting or golfing but not much need.

I HATED multi-focal glasses with a passion! I wouldn't even consider having the IOLs. I did notice a few new floaters after my surgeries, but their either gone or I've quit noticing.

Never heard about an alternative for the drops. While I had to keep track of them, it wasn't too difficult. The Lotamax they gave me was easy to apply too much, depleting the script early. Actually Walmart pharmacy went to bat for me and got an emergency supply through the insurance. Good luck.

I never heard of those antibiotics. Only one of the three types of eyedrops my surgeon prescribed was antibiotic, I think? My drops were:

Ciprofloxacin (antibiotic)
Ilevro (NSAID, cuts down on inflammation I think)
Durezol (Steroid)

So, if all that did was eliminate the Ciprofloxacin, it wouldn't have helped me hardly at all. It was the cheap generic one, too; the other two cost about $35 each per eye.

No, I just didn't state it correctly, the dropless injection is supposed get rid of all the drops.

Also, my understanding is that mono vision and monofocal are two different things, with mono vision having one lense for distance and the other eye getting a reading lense. The drawback for me, is that I understand mono vision can effect your depth perception, and since I play softball, I don't want to lose that.

My doc told me that there was only one type of patient for whom he would recommend the multifocal or monovision implants: someone who had been happily using multifocal or monovision contacts for years. He said if you were already used to it, then it was probably a good idea.

I was already skittish about the multifocal implants because I had talked to so many people who said they had problems with night driving glare and halos.

But I was curious about the monovision (one near, one far focus), so I told my doc I was interested and did he have any comment about it. He said his only personal experience was trying monovision contacts. He was never able to really get used to it and gave them up after less than two months.

So, like most here, I went with the simple distance-only implants and have been delighted with them. Just had a checkup last week, two years after the procedure, and I'm still 20/20 distance and also 20/20 near vision with simple drugstore readers.

I had worn glasses since I was six years old, and was about -6.50 and -7.25 so this is an amazing new world!

No, I just didn't state it correctly, the dropless injection is supposed get rid of all the drops.

Oh, I see! Well, I don't know anything about it, either way. I'd say that is between you and your surgeon.

Also, my understanding is that mono vision and monofocal are two different things, with mono vision having one lense for distance and the other eye getting a reading lense. The drawback for me, is that I understand mono vision can effect your depth perception, and since I play softball, I don't want to lose that.

I was told that I had three choices:

(1) multifocal
(2) usual ones in which both have the same (single) focal length, or
(3) monovision with one eye corrected near and one far.

The multifocal I cannot get used to, as I mentioned. Never did well with multifocal glasses although I tried very hard to adjust to them. The multifocal glasses have many different focal lengths, and one must tilt one's head just the right amount to hit the one needed. My neck muscles just couldn't move exactly the right amount, so I could never seem to find the sweet spot. So, nothing was ever in focus. Since I couldn't adjust to multifocal glasses, multifocal implants would have been awful for me.

Monovision (one eye corrected near, one far) is not a good choice for me, because I have never tried it before. I would freak out if I was driving and something got in the one eye that has distance vision.

I chose to have the usual lenses, with both eyes corrected for distance, and to use readers for close work.

Last edited:
I was fortunate and was able to 'test drive' mono vision (one near/one far). I am only 'slightly' myopic requiring glasses to drive, but rarely wearing them for anything else. My first surgery, I elected distance lens, thereby giving me mono vision. My brain adjusted immediately and I loved being able to see well rather than everything being blurry. Had I not been able to make the adjustment, I would have opted for distance in the second eye as well.

I didn't think I would have issues and neither did my doc as I had been wearing progressives for years.

I was fortunate and was able to 'test drive' mono vision (one near/one far). I am only 'slightly' myopic requiring glasses to drive, but rarely wearing them for anything else. My first surgery, I elected distance lens, thereby giving me mono vision. My brain adjusted immediately and I loved being able to see well rather than everything being blurry. Had I not been able to make the adjustment, I would have opted for distance in the second eye as well.

I didn't think I would have issues and neither did my doc as I had been wearing progressives for years.

So are you saying you only went for distance lens in one eye, and just left the other eye alone since you already had good closeup vision? Sounds like an ideal situation for you.

So are you saying you only went for distance lens in one eye, and just left the other eye alone since you already had good closeup vision? Sounds like an ideal situation for you.

For a year, yes, then my other eye's cataract started degrading and it was replaced with a closeup lens, the same as my prescription.

So, do you have a date for your first cataract surgery, DFW_M5? You should probably count on blurry vision for a couple of days afterwards, because they use some extra-powerful pupil dilating stuff.

So, if you can get someone to drive you around, or else arrange things so that you don't have to drive, that would probably be a good idea just in case it takes a long time to wear off. Also after the surgeries you should get your driver's license changed saying that you don't need glasses or contacts any more.

I didn't drive until after I did that and passed the Office of Motor Vehicles vision test without glasses, so F drove me around for a couple of weeks.

I had mono vision lens replacement years ago & have absolutely no problems with depth perception . My vision is excellent and unless I am reading for a very long time no need for any cheaters .

So, do you have a date for your first cataract surgery, DFW_M5? You should probably count on blurry vision for a couple of days afterwards, because they use some extra-powerful pupil dilating stuff.

So, if you can get someone to drive you around, or else arrange things so that you don't have to drive, that would probably be a good idea just in case it takes a long time to wear off. Also after the surgeries you should get your driver's license changed saying that you don't need glasses or contacts any more.

I didn't drive until after I did that and passed the Office of Motor Vehicles vision test without glasses, so F drove me around for a couple of weeks.

March 8 is the date for my right eye. DW is ready to play chauffeur. I wasn't thinking about getting my license changed, but wonder what happens if you get pulled over and explain you had lens implants. I imagine I will have to pop out the right lens in my eyeglasses until the other eye is done. I am also wondering if I will be able to see the speedometer clearly when driving without glasses.

W2R, did your Dr put you on any drops before the surgery? They told me, I would be getting something to take for a week before surgery. How long did you have to keep up with the eye drop regimen after surgery?

The more I read on the subject, I am thinking that the monofocal type lenses will be the best option, especially considering my retinal membrane situation. I really don't mind needing to use reading glasses. The thought of being without glasses is kind of exciting, but going through 2 operations leaves me a bit nervous as well. Nevertheless, it is reassuring hearing from you veterans that have been down this road successfully.

March 8 is the date for my right eye.
How exciting! My first surgery (left eye, in my case) was on October 8th, exactly six months before yours. Here's my first post after surgery.

DW is ready to play chauffeur. I wasn't thinking about getting my license changed, but wonder what happens if you get pulled over and explain you had lens implants. I imagine I will have to pop out the right lens in my eyeglasses until the other eye is done. I am also wondering if I will be able to see the speedometer clearly when driving without glasses.
I can see the speedometer quite clearly, no problem! But, I don't know if that is true for everyone. I can read these words on the computer as I type, but they are not crisp so I prefer using my readers. Reading menus is flat out impossible for me without my readers, because the print is small and many restaurants do not seem to have very bright lights. Reading my digital watch, or small print on labels in the grocery store, or signing credit card slips all require my readers. Other than that I don't recall using my readers at all when away from home.

W2R, did your Dr put you on any drops before the surgery? They told me, I would be getting something to take for a week before surgery. How long did you have to keep up with the eye drop regimen after surgery?
Yes, I had to use drops before the surgery too for a while. I started them on the 5th. I had my second eye done on October 15th (just one week later), and I was completely done with my eyedrops after about a month. Here's the eyedrop schedule I was on.

The more I read on the subject, I am thinking that the monofocal type lenses will be the best option, especially considering my retinal membrane situation. I really don't mind needing to use reading glasses. The thought of being without glasses is kind of exciting, but going through 2 operations leaves me a bit nervous as well. Nevertheless, it is reassuring hearing from you veterans that have been down this road successfully.

I am glad I got the cheap single focus lenses that left me farsighted and using readers. I don't mind readers at all, either. I was pretty nervous about the operations too, but mine only took about 7 minutes each and although I was awake for the surgeries, the anesthetist made sure I was feeling quite mellow and calm. :)

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking about getting my license changed, but wonder what happens if you get pulled over and explain you had lens implants.

Walt34, one of our friendly forum members, used to be a cop and told me it is quite common to issue a ticket if you're pulled over and not wearing the corrective lenses you have noted on your license. He said he could easily tell if you're wearing contacts or not, so that's not an excuse. You either have visible (not implanted) corrective lenses (contacts or eyeglasses) or you don't.

What's worse is that if it happened to you, you would immediately be grounded and have to call someone to drive your car home for you.

Pretty scary, and it convinced me to get the restriction taken off my license at the first opportunity.

Walt34, one of our friendly forum members, used to be a cop and told me it is quite common to issue a ticket if you're pulled over and not wearing the corrective lenses you have noted on your license. He said he could easily tell if you're wearing contacts or not, so that's not an excuse. You either have visible (not implanted) corrective lenses (contacts or eyeglasses) or you don't.

What's worse is that if it happened to you, you would immediately be grounded and have to call someone to drive your car home for you.

Pretty scary, and it convinced me to get the restriction taken off my license at the first opportunity.

I will get it changed as soon as I can, but being a CHL holder, they usually let you go pretty quickly if you get pulled over:cool:

W2R, thanks for those links to your thread on this subject. Definitely an interesting topic for many!

Any one have their cataract removed via laser? As I understand it, laser allows for cleaner incisions, less chance of damage from breaking up and removing the cataract, and lower chance of infection. It supposedly does cost several hundred $s more, but if it reduces the risk of a negative outcome, it would seem a small cost to pay.

Any one have their cataract removed via laser? As I understand it, laser allows for cleaner incisions, less chance of damage from breaking up and removing the cataract, and lower chance of infection. It supposedly does cost several hundred $s more, but if it reduces the risk of a negative outcome, it would seem a small cost to pay.

If given any choice involving any reduction of risk, I'd definitely go for it.

I don't remember what my surgeon used and the paperwork he gave me that explained the surgery, is not at hand at the moment.

It might have been laser since he does a lot of LASIK surgery too. Or not. Basically, the entire procedure was less than 7 minutes while I was [-]stoned to the gills on[/-] extremely calm due to the Versed anesthesia. I remember a lot of "look at the light", and then it was over.

I did, it was LensX technology. It was highly recommended but I have nothing to compare it to. My post-op visits the Optometrist raved over the lack of swelling. I'd do it again.

Although traditional cataract surgery is probably one of the most successful ever (98% success rate), if it makes you more at ease the laser option is probably worth considering.

However, you ought to check insurance coverage first. Yours may not handle it.

Also, be aware that we're talking about an incision that is not much more than one millimeter in length, using extremely specialized and sophisticated tools, so the difference is certainly small.

Although traditional cataract surgery is probably one of the most successful ever (98% success rate), if it makes you more at ease the laser option is probably worth considering.

However, you ought to check insurance coverage first. Yours may not handle it.

Also, be aware that we're talking about an incision that is not much more than one millimeter in length, using extremely specialized and sophisticated tools, so the difference is certainly small.

I am not sure how much extra it costs over what the insurance pays, still need to get that info at my pre-surgery appointment next Monday. Since I already have an epiretinal membrane issue and diabetes, anything that would minimize inflammation and infection should be a good thing and worth paying extra.

I was offered the laser removal option. It was not covered by my insurance and IIRC, it was $2,000 per eye (I'm in NYC).

When I asked my surgeon what the advantages of the laser, he just shrugged. He is an experienced surgeon and I was confident in his use of the traditional ultrasound method. I had no problems with the surgery.

Cataract removal is very safe, but there are risks. I understand wanting to reduce that risk. Talk to your surgeon. Since you have some existing eye problems, I wonder if insurance will cover the laser.

Good luck.

In reading over some of the information I was given, it stated that you need to keep your head upright for 24 hrs after surgery. I presume this is to minimize any risk of the lens shifting. Did others that have had implants get this instruction, and just wondering how the heck to you sleep to avoid your head shifting to the side?

No, I didn't get that instruction but you should probably do what your surgeon wants you to do.

For me, they said to rest, not lift anything heavy, and basically just not do much. I was told I could go to sleep that night with the eye protector thing over my eye. It's not easy to sleep with an eye protector almost like a colander taped over your eye, though. :LOL: No weight lifting at the gym for quite some time.

Here is a link to a post has an image attached showing a similar colander-like eye protector:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/cataract-surgery-78886-4.html#post1641420

Last edited:
No, I didn't get that instruction but you should probably do what your surgeon wants you to do.

For me, they said to rest, not lift anything heavy, and basically just not do much. I was told I could go to sleep that night with the eye protector thing over my eye. It's not easy to sleep with an eye protector almost like a colander taped over your eye, though. :LOL: No weight lifting at the gym for quite some time.

Here is a link to a post has an image attached showing a similar colander-like eye protector:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/cataract-surgery-78886-4.html#post1641420
That eye cover always reminds me of the film "The Fly". :)

I had similar instructions to yours. Take it easy, no heavy lifting. The one exception was not to bend over "deeply" for the first day or two - that is, no bending to pick up things from the floor.

That eye cover always reminds me of the film "The Fly". :)

I had similar instructions to yours. Take it easy, no heavy lifting. The one exception was not to bend over "deeply" for the first day or two - that is, no bending to pick up things from the floor.

That's all I had too. I was banned from the gym for a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom