Plantar Fasciitis Surgery?

DRC726

Dryer sheet aficionado
I've been struggling with PF pain for 2 years now. I've tried it all - stretches, shots, platelet injections, insoles, frozen water bottle, etc. My podiatrist is suggesting that I consider surgery to correct the situation but I'm very hesitant to go that route. Is there anyone who has had the surgery and can comment on their experience? Any thoughts appreciated...

I've been struggling with PF pain for 2 years now. I've tried it all - stretches, shots, platelet injections, insoles, frozen water bottle, etc. My podiatrist is suggesting that I consider surgery to correct the situation but I'm very hesitant to go that route. Is there anyone who has had the surgery and can comment on their experience? Any thoughts appreciated...

I have suffered with PF off and on for almost 20 years. I have not tried surgery. I hope you will find a solution for your PF soon. Take care. If you do decide to have surgery, please post about your experience/result so we can all learn from it. I wish you a pain-free day!

I urge you to find a physical therapist who can treat you with "ASTYM" which is very hard massage with hard plastic tools. It claims to break up the scar tissue in the plantar fascia, and allow the tissue to heal and regrow properly. 10+ years ago, I was on the same path you were on. A couple months of ASTYM treatments fixed me up.

The boot at night, and stretches (which I learned from a post here) keep my PF at bay.

Once I got past the daily heel pain, I dropped using the boot - but I continue to do the stretches daily... If I skip it for a few days, it comes back.... and if I continue to neglect I'm back to having to wear the boot at night.... This motivates me to do the stair exercises.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/15/heel-pain-treatment/

My sister didn't believe me about the boot or the stair exercises - she spent a fortune on orthotics and inserts, upgraded her sneakers to super expensive ones.... finally bought a cheap boot off of amazon and started doing the stair exercises.... she hasn't *quite* conceded I was right.... but she admitted the boot and exercises did the trick.

Edited to add the link to the post that shared the exercise. Thank you MichaelB for posting this 5 years ago.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/new-relief-for-plantar-fasciitis-73687.html

Last edited:
I urge you to find a physical therapist who can treat you with "ASTYM" which is very hard massage with hard plastic tools. It claims to break up the scar tissue in the plantar fascia, and allow the tissue to heal and regrow properly. 10+ years ago, I was on the same path you were on. A couple months of ASTYM treatments fixed me up.

And if you are a LBYM frugal and/or DIY-type those 'hard massages' are detailed in William Prouses's videos and ebook cited in my post at link below:

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...itis-site-with-tons-of-useful-info-93985.html

FWIW, they worked like a charm for me. I've been PF-free for 11 months and without a need for special shoes, socks, splints, stretches, etc.

Best of luck, DRC726.

omni

After going to see a podiatrist recommended by a good friend I went through all the stuff listed above and it took 7 months to get through it. The first day in his office he told me that he often sees up to 4 or 5 people a week with PF and does surgery to fix PF about once or twice a year. In other words, surgery is rarely needed. I still get flare-ups from time to time but the exercises, particularly the stair ones usually do the trick, plus I sometimes do the 2-2-2 recommended treatment from the podiatrist. 2 naproxen with food 2 times a day for 2 weeks on top of the exercises. (Over the counter naproxen is 220mg per tablet)

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/plantar-fasciitis-59192.html

Have you been a runner or jogger or engaged in another activity that caused the PF? I had been using a treadmill regularly when I was first afflicted with PF. I did all of the things mentioned above with only marginal success but finally cut out the treadmill and became pain free after a year. I'm back on the treadmill now and so far so good, but I'll back off at the first symptoms.

Have you been a runner or jogger or engaged in another activity that caused the PF? I had been using a treadmill regularly when I was first afflicted with PF. I did all of the things mentioned above with only marginal success but finally cut out the treadmill and became pain free after a year. I'm back on the treadmill now and so far so good, but I'll back off at the first symptoms.

I was a runner for years and never had a problem but then a couple of years ago, my arches fell and I started to have PF pain. It first started only when I wore my golf shoes and hurt for a day after golfing. Then it worsened and hurt after running and just about any activity and was the worse getting out of bed in the morning, as is typical.

I think I'm gonna hold off on any surgery and double up on my stretching and massage efforts - not more intense, just more frequent. That and I'm going to give Alan's 2-2-2 Naproxen suggestion a try. Wish me luck!!

I was a runner for years and never had a problem but then a couple of years ago, my arches fell and I started to have PF pain. It first started only when I wore my golf shoes and hurt for a day after golfing. Then it worsened and hurt after running and just about any activity and was the worse getting out of bed in the morning, as is typical.

I think I'm gonna hold off on any surgery and double up on my stretching and massage efforts - not more intense, just more frequent. That and I'm going to give Alan's 2-2-2 Naproxen suggestion a try. Wish me luck!!

Good luck :)

The article mentions the sock:

"You may even consider getting the legendary Strassburg sock to assist your healing process. This device, a sock with a strap attached, places your ankle in a flexed position all night, putting the plantar fascia under tension so that it does not contract and cause the painful morning stiffness."

I tried that sock, and it was very uncomfortable and did not help my PF. The discomfort seemed to come from the fact that the sock pulled my toes upward and put more stretching stress on the joint of my big toe than on the rest of my foot.

Then I got a night splint: https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Medica...t=&hvlocphy=9033347&hvtargid=pla-405705991824. Wore it every night for 5 or 6 weeks, and my PF went away. Haven't had a flare up for 11 years.

Patience wins the day with the night splint treatment, as you must wear the boot faithfully every night until the pain is gone, then for a week or so longer. You do get used to wearing it, and it quickly decreases the morning PF pain, which in itself makes it worth wearing!

Last edited:
Not sure if it was my post mentioned above but I swear by the boot! Less than $25 on Amazon. 6 weeks and your PF is gone. Uncomfortable to sleep in but a miracle. I am a nurse and my podiatrist recommended it to me years ago. I have 2. One in NorCal and 1 in SoCal just in case.

Recommended to mom and she still raves about how I cured her.

$21.95
FREE One-Day
FREE delivery: Tomorrow
Order within 9 hrs 58 mins Details
Deliver to
In Stock.
Qty:
Qty:1

Add to Cart

Buy Now
Sold by Alpha Medical L.L.C. and Fulfilled by Amazon.
Add gift options
Add to your Dash Buttons
Learn more about Dash Buttons

Add to List

Share 100+ Shares
Other Sellers on Amazon
2 new from $21.95

From Amazon under search: Plantar Fascitis Boot
Alpha Medical Plantar Fascitis Night Splint Heel & Foot Pain; P.F. Brace L4398 (Medium)
Touch the image to zoom in
Alpha Medical Plantar Fascitis Night Splint Heel & Foot Pain; P.F. Brace L4398 (Medium)

I don't have Plantar Fasciitis(PF) but am experiencing pain at an outer joint arch area on the side of my left foot. Pain caused by over use moving stuff around. Hurts just placing some weight walking. So, I decided to try out a couple of sleeves made by SB Sox. One is like a band around the arch area. The other is a sock missing the toe area.

Both of the work great!! I placed on, walked around and didn't feel any pain and the sleeves aren't too tight. Like magic they keep the pain in check.

As the saying goes, YMMV, but I'm in love with these sleeves :cool:.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RJ23ZTM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RC3V89

I'd wholly avoid surgery.

Lengthen Your Calf Muscles

Heres a qualified quote:
“Do the wall stretches several times a day. Hold each stretch for two minutes. You’ll be healed in a few weeks.” This brief quip was all I needed to cure 15 years of consistent pain and suffering from plantar fasciitis. The message was delivered to me by a podiatrist."

Along w/omni550s advice look up Myofacial massage.

Ive overcome similar circumstances over the last 40ish yrs stretching daily.
It both saves and becomes part of your current lifestyle.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom