Pre- Diabetes

It sounds like you might enjoy Dr. Williams Davis' book "Undoctored". He discusses many of the issues you are describing.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
Once you cross into the diabetic range (A1C and fasting blood glucose), you are diabetic and there is no turning back once declared. That said, since I crossed over that threshold my results have been in pre-diabetic to normal range for years, however, I am still considered diabetic by my Doctors.

Once you cross into the diabetic range (A1C and fasting blood glucose), you are diabetic and there is no turning back once declared. That said, since I crossed over that threshold my results have been in pre-diabetic to normal range for years, however, I am still considered diabetic by my Doctors.

This maybe a reason why I should do what I can to not have it mark in my file as diabetic. Maybe I shouldn’t ask him for a glucose test. I might do it at home.

But base on this thread, my husband and I started adding walking after dinner as an everyday activity. We may do about 30 minutes. That can’t be hurt. I’m sure most doctors would agree and approve it.

So what's more important to monitor at home, glucose or A1C for those of us who haven't been diagnosed as diabetic?

Had the insurance company tests for life insurance just a few years ago and there was no problem then with my fasting glucose level.

But, since I'm heavier than I'd like... :)

So what's more important to monitor at home, glucose or A1C for those of us who haven't been diagnosed as diabetic?

Had the insurance company tests for life insurance just a few years ago and there was no problem then with my fasting glucose level.

But, since I'm heavier than I'd like... :)

Insurance may not catch it. My husband had his blood test in 1999 for life insurance, he had sky high triglycerides and they still insured him for life insurance.

Nobody, not even doctors when I asked directly said high triglyceride is bad. I’ve learned it second hand from my friends and my sister’s friends who are doctors that high triglycerides are bad. Lots of tribal knowledge to be acquired. But my husband is still alive, insurance got almost 20 years of premiums already, but I suspect he and I are both insulin resistant. He did have a glucose test but it didn’t show anything.

But his mom had gangrene with her toe, it had to be cut off, nobody in U.K. said she had diabetes either, but I suspect she did.

We did change our diet but I’m not sure if it’s enough.

Last edited:

+1.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 5 years ago but I'm in remission with no medication but with diet and exercise. Once a diabetic you're always a diabetic.

It has been tough to control recently as exercising has been difficult due to an injury and since I gained weight my blood glucose readings have been higher than the range. Based on my experience type 2 can be controlled but never cured.

So what's more important to monitor at home, glucose or A1C for those of us who haven't been diagnosed as diabetic?:)

Blood glucose levels can be checked at home by a glucose meter but the test will only measure your glucose level at that point in time. The A1C test is only performed in a lab and will measure your average glucose over a 2 to 3 months period.

Last edited:
Back on the OP question:

How do you know you don’t have diabetes even with low A1C number? Can we trust these numbers. What other test can you run to confirm that you don’t have insulin resistant?

Can A1C test be inaccurate? There are indeed some questions on that very subject.

The fasting blood glucose (FBG) is a more direct test and should be more reliable, I hope. As mentioned, I do my own finger pricking test at home every 2 weeks, even though I was never diagnosed as prediabetic. I want to stay informed of my state of health, and to maintain FBG below 100.

Recently, I had a complete blood test at a lab. I used that occasion to compare the reported FBG with what I measured myself at home, that very morning. I always wondered how accurate the home kit is compared to what they do at a lab.

The results are within 2 points. Excellent!

+1.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 5 years ago but I'm in remission with no medication but with diet and exercise. Once a diabetic you're always a diabetic.

It has been tough to control recently as exercising has been difficult due to an injury and since I gained weight my blood glucose readings have been higher than the range. Based on my experience type 2 can be controlled but never cured.

What’s the difference between controlled vs cured? My brother in law was diagnosed with diabetes due to stress of a failing business, he was a rich guy before that, now he eats properly, he was a vegetarian who ate a lot of fries and catchup. Now he doesn’t have to take medicine any more. Isn’t that good enough. I’m sure he still have to eat right, no more fries.

You can buy a home test kit for A1C at Walgreens.

I wouldn't trust it. It showed a significant difference when I used it 2 days before my lab test.

Nothing is perfect, but I've had complete agreement twice between the Walgreens kit and the A1C test done at my annual physical. So I'm willing to trust it.

Nothing is perfect, but I've had complete agreement twice between the Walgreens kit and the A1C test done at my annual physical. So I'm willing to trust it.

I agree nothing is perfect, it’s more of a trend I’m looking for. Like my blood pressure monitor, even though it was blessed at my doctor’s office, I only look at whether what I did at home was effective in reducing or not.

But base on this thread, my husband and I started adding walking after dinner as an everyday activity. We may do about 30 minutes. That can’t be hurt. I’m sure most doctors would agree and approve it.

Absolutely! Never underestimate the benefits of walking. When I was diagnosed, I was about 215 lbs, and over a 3+ month period, I walked 3 miles a day, every day, and dropped to about 175 lbs. After that I also started to go to the gym. So couple that with eating better and you can keep the diabetes boogy man away.

I will give it another try before my next lab test but when I did it last it was far from perfect. The kit read an A1C of 5.8 when the lab test was 6.5. Big difference

Absolutely! Never underestimate the benefits of walking. When I was diagnosed, I was about 215 lbs, and over a 3+ month period, I walked 3 miles a day, every day, and dropped to about 175 lbs. After that I also started to go to the gym. So couple that with eating better and you can keep the diabetes boogy man away.

Totally agree too. A little weight loss and healthy eating does wonders for the body. If I were a betting man, I would say type 2 diabetes is 40-60% reversible with weight loss and sensible eating.

I will give it another try before my next lab test but when I did it last it was far from perfect. The kit read an A1C of 5.8 when the lab test was 6.5. Big difference

Can't blame you for not trusting the kit with results like that. Mine have always been within plus or minus 0.1 of the lab result. I have another exam coming up next month so I'll be able to compare them again.

I wondered about that, too. Maybe it means that once diagnosed, you can never again eat the way you used to, or else your blood sugar will go crazy and you'll need medication. No matter how much exercise or good eating you do in the meantime.

I think it is just another side effect of getting older, and gradually wearing out your innards.

What’s the difference between controlled vs cured? My brother in law was diagnosed with diabetes due to stress of a failing business, he was a rich guy before that, now he eats properly, he was a vegetarian who ate a lot of fries and catchup. Now he doesn’t have to take medicine any more. Isn’t that good enough. I’m sure he still have to eat right, no more fries.

I think it is just another side effect of getting older, and gradually wearing out your innards.
Absolutely. And it varies for each person. The same thing with high blood pressure.

But one should do what is possible to delay the inevitable.

Get a 2nd opinion from an endocrinologist - they specialize in diabetes, which is an endocrine disorder. The American Diabetes Association has alot of good public reading material too online. American Diabetes Association®.

Also - see a registered dietician who usually have great advice on diet and exercise.

My A1C was .2 into borderline in 2016 but I cut back carbs, lost 15 lbs and exercise every day (but no usually after a meal), it is now is the normal range. It is most often a life style change that is needed.

FYI- docs (not just MDs) are asked by the insurance carriers to explain "outliers" and A1C results are high on the list.

Did our biweekly finger-pricking fasting blood test earlier today.

My wife: 84. Me: 98. I guess I can just continue to eat and drink like I have done recently.

NW-Bound, thanks to you, my husband and I walk immediate after dinner. We do a quick 5 minutes after lunch when we can. I’m hoping that will help in the long run.

Get a blood glucose test kit. We initially did a weekly test, and changed to biweekly when the results got in the good range. I do not want to get complacent.

It is good to have feedback, so that you can see the good results from the diet change and exercise. There is no need to wait for a few months to see a doctor.

I have it, but can’t find it at the moment. When I’m done with my kitchen, I will find it again. I last found it in April/May of 2018.

Back
Top Bottom