Pre-existing condition-- care options?

ATby55

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi,

My understanding is that it can be difficult to get private health insurance if a serious pre-existing condition exists. To date our company offering has addressed this well, however for post employment it's unclear what options we will have. Without coverage, meds can be very expensive. We're grateful our health has been reasonably ok, but unclear what future holds and would want to secure comparable coverage going forward.

Is this is a deal breaker (ie is the best answer to continue working just for benefits)? The flip side of continuing employment (for benefit purpose) is the associated delay and potentially enhanced risk over time of having to deal with deteriorated health and not be able to have the capabilities to enjoy an active retirement.

I've read a little about getting a standard plan with an exclusion clause (carving out coverage related to the pre-existing) and supplement w catastrophe insurance that covers the pre-existing condition only. This sounds like it may be ok for hospitalization charges, but unclear/doubt whether catastrophe ins would cover ongoing meds/potential general care. We do have LTC policies, but also don't think this would help w ongoing med costs/etc.

Thx in advance for any thoughts/experience/ knowledge in this area.

FYI - Under normal circumstances, DW & I (mid 40s) are likely 7-10 yrs away..details were shared in earlier post.

Thanks!

What Bestwifeever said. Did you miss the entire Obamacare brou ha ha over the past 6 years? I envy your detachment. :) A bit more seriously, watch the Supreme Court end of year announcements in late June. They will be releasing the decision on whether Healthcare.gov qualifies for subsidies - possibly the last serious challenge against the ACA. If the subsidies survive it is a pretty good bet that you can count on being able to get some sort of HI when you pull the plug one way or another.

Last edited:
I'm currently self employed, DW went RE when kids were babies.

So I've been shopping and buying my own Health Ins for 25 - 30 years. Before ACA / Obamacare, due to a few Pre Existing issues we were stuck with a Ins Co that kept jacking up our premium. Once we got on ACA in 2014 we saved $7K per year. No subsidies helping since I'm pulling in $ well over the cutoffs.

They now only ask your age and if you smoke.

We have also been buying our own health insurance for years since both DH and I are self employed. It was extremely helpful for the pre-existing condition coverage law to come out. Before that, it was super expensive for me since I have some existing health issues.

Also, you can check out ehealthinsurance.com to see free online quotes and coverage options from a variety of providers.

Agree with the others. Obamacare, love it or hate it. But the one thing that it does do is allow early retirees (as well as everyone else) to get coverage regardless of preexisting conditions. That is very important for older folks that haven't reached Medicare age.

Agree with the others. Obamacare, love it or hate it. But the one thing that it does do is allow early retirees (as well as everyone else) to get coverage regardless of preexisting conditions. That is very important for older folks that haven't reached Medicare age.

Practical effect of ACA (Obamacare) on ERs depends on the state you live in. Many states already had provisions for pre-existing conditions (e.g. "shall issue" laws/regs, hi-risk pools, etc.). Some folks have benefited by it, while others saw significant premium increases. Like most laws- some winners & some losers. And things continue to change as ACA gets fully implemented.

OP-- Might want to consider if your employer offers any retiree health ins for "full" retirees. Sometimes holding on for a few more years to qualify for added benefits &/or pension thresholds can make those last few years worth relatively much more $$$. Or not, depending on the employer.

Back
Top Bottom