Protein Powder

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am looking to increase my protein intake using a plant based supplement. Can anyone recommend a brand that can be stirred into morning coffee and not taste too nasty? Thanks!

A teaspoon of protein would be only a few grams. Maybe think about it differently and make a coffee shake? Pour your coffee on top of a scoop of protein powder.. that might be about 25 grams.

I've seen and tasted flavoured Soy Protein shakes which tasted quite nice. You can buy large cartons at places like GNC.

A teaspoon of protein would be only a few grams. Maybe think about it differently and make a coffee shake?

+1

I'm not aware of any protein powder (plant based or otherwise) that could be stirred into hot coffee without substantially degrading the taste and mouthfeel. To get even 1-2 grams of protein (and most healthy, normal-sized adults need a minimum of 60-80g per day), you'd have to stir in a tablespoon or more of powder, which, in hot liquid, would get very clumpy and result in quite a thick, sludgy cup of morning coffee.

Much better to simply find a high-quality protein powder—preferably with no added sweeteners or flavors—and make a quick smoothie in your blender. Here's one you might consider: https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Increases-Carbohydrate-Metabolism-Management/dp/B01DWUEQ7C/

A teaspoon of protein would be only a few grams. Maybe think about it differently and make a coffee shake? Pour your coffee on top of a scoop of protein powder.. that might be about 25 grams.

I've seen and tasted flavoured Soy Protein shakes which tasted quite nice. You can buy large cartons at places like GNC.

Better hurry, GNC filed for bankruptcy this week.

My daughter just recommended plant-based Sunwarrior to my husband. She like the vanilla for her after workout smoothies.

I drink this when I need protein.

I drink this when I need protein. It is breakfast in a can.

Attachments

• 81WOas2BwBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81WOas2BwBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 22
I use Muscle Milk protein, which is not plant based. It is milk and whey based. If I use plant based I cannot leave the house all day. It keeps me running...

I use Muscle Milk protein, which is not plant based. It is milk and whey based. If I use plant based I cannot leave the house all day. It keeps me running...
Protein is protein. Amino Acids that are components of protein are the same for plants and non-plants. Perhaps there are some other molecule(s) in the products that one consumes that are making the difference for some people.

I use both plant (e.g., soy milk) and animal (Body Fortress) protein. Both of these are not pure protein, but have some other things in them. I don't have digestive problems from these sources of protein.

I do not recommend overloading on protein in a single meal, but to perhaps spread it out evenly throughout the day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks). Of course, I know some folks do that intermittent fasting thing, so they will need to plan think about that.

Last edited:
I’ve tried protein powder into hot drinks...it doesn’t work...it just clumps up. My wife and I have a protein shake every morning after our run or walk with the doggies. We use one scoop of ON Nutrition protein powder (whey protein) blended with milk and ice, with a little Mio Energy Mocha Java to improve the flavor. Sometimes we blend in a banana, or eat a banana on the side. My wife likes the chocolate version. I prefer the vanilla. It’s blended in our Nutribullet.

As a guy, I would never use a soy based protein. Increases estrogen, not good.

Back
Top Bottom