'Rise of saturated fat in diet does not raise fats in blood'

Likely more of a problem with people that think food comes from small boxes, and all cooking consists of selecting the right box and putting it in the microwave for the right length of time.

Cluelessness is a basic component of the modern human condition. Keeps 'em docile and easy to herd.

Likely more of a problem with people that think food comes from small boxes, and all cooking consists of selecting the right box and putting it in the microwave for the right length of time.

Cluelessness is a basic component of the modern human condition. Keeps 'em docile and easy to herd.

I am not a savant on food nutrition, but I clearly know my weakness isn't lack of knowledge. My problem is on occasion that the hand and mouth usurp power from the brain and run wild until until order can be restored again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course people don't understand nutrition. Where are we ever taught it? Unless our parents were educated on the subject we would not have learned as children - and a lot of that would have been family folklore anyway. All I have learned required me studying on my own over several years. And much of what I learned has now been disregarded, I have to learn all over again.

There is so much conflicting information on the Internet, even someone searching for answers today will get lost many times over.

Cluelessness has always been part of the human condition.

Of course people don't understand nutrition. Where are we ever taught it?

Isn't that what all the stuff between Saturday morning cartoons was for? Teaching us the basic food groups... You know... pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers? All part of a balanced breakfast!

Isn't that what all the stuff between Saturday morning cartoons was for? Teaching us the basic food groups... You know... pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers? All part of a balanced breakfast!

Good one! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Well, that's the kid's version. The adult version is on later in the day - sugar, salt, fat, and alcohol.

Here's an interesting video on Youtube concerning saturated fats by a Dr. Yusuf.

Dr. Salim Yusuf is the Marion W. Burke Chair in Cardiovascular Disease at McMaster University Medical School in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and the lead investigator in the Prospective Urban and Rural Epidemiological Study (PURE).

SalimYusuf Presents Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology (PURE) Fndings

In he talks about a study that seems to contradict the World Health Organizations views on consuming fat, especially saturated fat. He attributes this 'error' to the use of surrogate end points - that is not actually measuring CVD but instead measuring things like cholesterol LDL levels. He does warn against consuming extreme amounts of fat in the diet.

The findings on fruits and veggies were a bit of a surprise to me. Regular daily consumption of all types of fruit was found to be protective, but veggies were not protective.

Of course, one study, especially an observational study does not conclusively prove anything. And, as many of us know, we each react differently to diet, medicine, etc.

Note: According to an article I read this video has been taken down from Youtube and added back several times.

Last edited:
I suspect I will be dead for hundreds of years before any definitive findings are universally accepted as truth.

One of the biggest problems with nutrition studies is trying to figure out what people actually eat. Each study comes up with different conclusions. For example, many low carb diet studies aren't low carb enough to change metabolism of carbs and fats, making low carbs look horrible. And the fruit vs vegetable result you cited above...did they include potatoes and corn as vegetables? Or were the vegetables primarily leafy greens? Were the fruits primarily bananas or blueberries? That makes a difference. BTW I can't get the video to play right now.

I just saw this thread for the first time. Seeing the posts up thread about sweetened yogurt, that is some of the worst stuff you can eat. Our doctor advised anything over 8g's of sugar per serving is too much. Many of those yogurts are well over 20g's. Take a look at tomato soup sometime and see how much sugar is in there. It will shock you.
Sugars in foods will make you fat, not fat in foods.

I just saw this thread for the first time. Seeing the posts up thread about sweetened yogurt, that is some of the worst stuff you can eat. Our doctor advised anything over 8g's of sugar per serving is too much. Many of those yogurts are well over 20g's. Take a look at tomato soup sometime and see how much sugar is in there. It will shock you.
Sugars in foods will make you fat, not fat in foods.

There was a time you could get real, regular, fat-filled yogurt. Satisfying, filling and ultimately healthy.

Now all you get are sugar laden chemical sets.

When Fage made a press in the USA with Greek Yogurt, it was the real stuff. Now, hard to find, and all others are "low fat" with junk in them.

Very depressing because I love yogurt, but this stuff isn't yogurt. It is milk-sugar-jello.

Our doctor advised anything over 8g's of sugar per serving is too much. Many of those yogurts are well over 20g's.

I agree that yogurt with sugar added (often exceeding 20g in 8oz) is a bad idea. But since yogurt is made from milk, it's going to have a significant amount of sugar (lactose) even if none is added.

I just checked our Stonyfield Whole plain yogurt, and it has 12g of sugar, with no sugar added. Our 2% Fage has 9g -- though strangely the Fage website says it should have 8g.

Your doctor's point was probably that you should choose plain yogurt with no sugar added. The 8g doesn't make sense though.

There was a time you could get real, regular, fat-filled yogurt. Satisfying, filling and ultimately healthy.

When Fage made a press in the USA with Greek Yogurt, it was the real stuff. Now, hard to find, and all others are "low fat" with junk in them.

Very depressing because I love yogurt, but this stuff isn't yogurt. It is milk-sugar-jello.

Make your own.

We still find the Fage no problem. That's what we use - the (plain) 2%. Ingredients: skim milk and cream and live cultures.

I agree that yogurt with sugar added (often exceeding 20g in 8oz) is a bad idea. But since yogurt is made from milk, it's going to have a significant amount of sugar (lactose) even if none is added.

I just checked our Stonyfield Whole plain yogurt, and it has 12g of sugar, with no sugar added. Our 2% Fage has 9g -- though strangely the Fage website says it should have 8g.

Your doctor's point was probably that you should choose plain yogurt with no sugar added. The 8g doesn't make sense though.
Not quite. Greek (strained) yogurt is quite a bit lower in lactose than milk.

That's part of the point of yogurt - the acidic fermentation breaks down some of the lactose into glucose and galactose. And Greek yogurt strains out the whey which removes much more of the lactose.

You must be referring to sugars in general. Our 2% Fage plain has 9g sugar per 1 cup (8oz) serving.

There's stuff out there that is that low, but you really have to look. Anything with fruit (jelly?) added will pop the sugars in a heartbeat.
We have also recently switched to a liquid probiotic, Inner Eco, for our gut bacteria. Takes the dairy out of the equation.

DH makes his own kefir. Much easier than making yogurt - doesn't need to be cooked or refrigerated. He just strains the kefir grains out of a culture that sits at room temp, and then mixes the kefir grains into a new batch of milk (has to be pasteurized rather than ultra-pasteurized milk). He refrigerates the strained milk. When we travel he puts the kefir culture into the fridge.

Kefir has a lot more probiotics than yogurt.

Not quite. Greek (strained) yogurt is quite a bit lower in lactose than milk.

That's part of the point of yogurt - the acidic fermentation breaks down some of the lactose into glucose and galactose. And Greek yogurt strains out the whey which removes much more of the lactose.

You must be referring to sugars in general. Our 2% Fage plain has 9g sugar per 1 cup (8oz) serving.
Fage Total is da bomb. Findable, but not easy to find. 2%, yes.

When we visited Greece, I don't think they cared about the idea of "lower fat" yogurt. It all tasted like whole yogurt to me. Add some whole fruit and you had a dream breakfast, balanced with fruit sugars, some lactose, fat, and protein.

I have found whole milk Fage yogurt in most of the stores in our area, as well as 0% variety. I don't use yogurt much right now. And the fermentation actually breaks the lactose down to glucose and galactose and then to lactic acid, so the sugar content is significantly reduced vs milk, and that is what gives it that tangy taste.

A similar process is used to make buttermilk, sour cream, and creme fraiche. All are yummy. They all say it has to be pasteurized, not ultra pasteurized. But I can only find ultra pasteurized. I've made creme fraiche with buttermilk as my starter. It's super simple and way cheaper than store bought. Homemade yogurt isn't hard with a sous vide machine but it has to run a long time, so is not worth the energy spent, IMO.

I have found whole milk Fage yogurt in most of the stores in our area, as well as 0% variety. I don't use yogurt much right now. And the fermentation actually breaks the lactose down to glucose and galactose and then to lactic acid, so the sugar content is significantly reduced vs milk, and that is what gives it that tangy taste.

A similar process is used to make buttermilk, sour cream, and creme fraiche. All are yummy. They all say it has to be pasteurized, not ultra pasteurized. But I can only find ultra pasteurized. I've made creme fraiche with buttermilk as my starter. It's super simple and way cheaper than store bought. Homemade yogurt isn't hard with a sous vide machine but it has to run a long time, so is not worth the energy spent, IMO.
The milk sold in plastic jugs is pasteurized. The milk sold in paper cartons is ultra pasteurized. So when DH started making kefir we had to start buying 1 gallon plastic jugs of milk to get the pasteurized (not ultra) version.

Back
Top Bottom