'Rise of saturated fat in diet does not raise fats in blood'

There was a time you could get real, regular, fat-filled yogurt. Satisfying, filling and ultimately healthy.

Now all you get are sugar laden chemical sets.

The 'health food' section of the local supermarket sells 32 oz containers of plain whole milk yogurt. It's good stuff, not the bitter nasty plain yogurt made my many big name companies.

Trader Joe's also offers plain whole milk European style yogurt. Again, it is not the bitter stuff so many of us are used to.

FWIW, the study I mentioned above indicates that dairy fat is somewhat protective when it comes to heart disease. That includes cheese!!!!!

Research vitamin K2. It is found in dairy, especially cheese, and especially in Gouda. It may be heart and bone protective. Also, dairy fat is not all saturated; about 9% monounsaturated.

Not quite. Greek (strained) yogurt is quite a bit lower in lactose than milk.

That's part of the point of yogurt - the acidic fermentation breaks down some of the lactose into glucose and galactose. And Greek yogurt strains out the whey which removes much more of the lactose.

You must be referring to sugars in general. Our 2% Fage plain has 9g sugar per 1 cup (8oz) serving.

Yes, you're right -- I should have referred to sugars in general. My point was to challenge the doctor's advice to avoid any yogurt with more than 8g sugar per serving...since (AFAIK) all yogurt is going to have at least that much.

I cited a popular (at least around here) plain/whole yogurt that has no added sugar, yet still has 50% more sugar (lactose, glucose, galactose) than 8g.

But I think we're all on the same page when it comes low-fat yogurt that makes up for the lack of fat with tons of extra sugar. It's basically junk food, and certainly not a healthy choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom