Sauna owners - any tips?

qwerty3656

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm on the verge of buying a sauna. Likely a small infrared sauna. Just thought I would ask if anyone has any suggestions on what to look for.

Check the max temp output. Infrared will have a much lower max temp than you may expect. If you are used to a steam/wet sauna experience you may be underwhelmed.

But, if you temper expectations it may be what you are looking for.

Look closely at the power requirements, with a 2-person sauna or smaller you can often plug into any 120V/15A outlet, anything larger and the power requirements go up. The 2-person sauna gives you a lot more options on where you can place it and they are fairly easy to move if needed, it's what I have.

Look closely at the power requirements, with a 2-person sauna or smaller you can often plug into any 120V/15A outlet, anything larger and the power requirements go up. The 2-person sauna gives you a lot more options on where you can place it and they are fairly easy to move if needed, it's what I have.

Are you happy with yours? I've googled around a bit and was thinking of joining Costco for a year and buying one of theirs (I'm making the assumption that it would be a good value). Looks like most of theirs are "Dynamic" brand.

Are you happy with yours? I've googled around a bit and was thinking of joining Costco for a year and buying one of theirs (I'm making the assumption that it would be a good value). Looks like most of theirs are "Dynamic" brand.

Yes, very happy with mine, it's from JNH Lifestyles. I've had it for about 8 years and there appears to be a lot more options/features available now, the Costco ones do look good.

I've had real saunas and thoroughly enjoyed them. But when we moved to our present home I decided to try an infrared version. It only gets up to 149°F but that's OK for me since DW thinks that's way too hot. :D

I believe you can get infrared models that heat up to a higher temperature now so that may no longer be an issue.

Interestingly, I ordered a 2-person model but they screwed up at the warehouse and sent me a 3-person and told me to just keep it. :)

They are usually modular, so it's not that much of a chore to assemble it. And in most cases I think all the bells and whistles they tout as features are pointless, so don't get oversold.

I built a real sauna in our home, and I have used IR saunas in other places. I am very unsatisfied with IR saunas. Takes me forever to get to be on the verge of breaking a sweat.

I built a very small sauna in my house which is heated by a 20 amp circuit powered sauna heater. It's only 4x4 because that's all the space I had. It was a "pre cut kit", but I needed to cut every board, lol.

I made two videos on YouTube channel "sengsationa1" (note that it ends in the number one, not ell). If you go to the channel and search my videos for "sauna" those should come up. I show my shopping process, with prices I was finding, my layout and planning, and the construction. Long and boring, but there's some info there, if you are patient.

Have had the 3-4 person infrared sauna from Costco for about 4 years. No complaints for the price. There are pros and cons to infrared depending on your requirements.

Back
Top Bottom