Sepsis

I started a thread awhile back about sepsis. I often read people die "due to complications of the flu" or "complications of pneumonia" Those complications are often sepsis. DX sepsis is hard because it masks so many other symptoms. I already have compromised kidneys. My DM died of sepsis in the nursing home. She was in there less than 2 weeks. That's how fast it (can) work.

I figure if I cut my hand or see blood, run to the sink and wash, disinfect. The hard part is Drs. are trying to prescribe less antibiotics, as they should. They do no good to the flu, but you can develop an infection from the flu.
I've come to the conclusion, enjoy each healthy day and do what it takes to stay healthy. What else can you do?

Oct. 8th 2018 : Hospitalized for 6 days with Sepsis. Faded out on Day 2 and heard the Nurse calling "STAT !" over her radio as I coded and lost consciousness. I got half-way to the Other Side ( Near Death Experience ).

A "Presence", during my ride into the Darkness, asked me if I "wanted to stay" and I accepted the offer. Along with provisions and conditions from that Presence.

Spent another 2 weeks at home administering my own IV Antibiotics with Nurse supervision every other day.

I am a different Person now.

So far...In spite of the initial pain, it has undoubtedly been one of the best things I have ever experienced and/or had happen to me.

Do not fear Death. It is Gentle and Welcoming.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Millions of other people with NDEs come out the same -- no fear of death, a sense of it being a safe, welcoming, loving environment, our real home. Sounds great.

I had sepsis secondary to a botched surgery on my colon. Almost died. 50/50 there for a while. ICU for 4 weeks, recovery for another 2 weeks, then physical rehab for another 2 weeks. Lost 40 pounds, including a lot of muscle. I was emotionally down and worn out for several months afterwards. The surgery was supposed to be no big deal.

The Conditions were mostly related to the fact that I have been given so much in this Life and that, even while aware of that fact, I had not taken care of many things as well as I should have.

The Provisions were that when I went back, if I truly tried, I would be given the
strength to do so.

In other words, if I were to return, I would be provided with the path and the strength to correct some conditions I had created.

I Have...and, I AM.

One Example -

> Oct. 8th = 275 lbs.

> March 15th = 220 lbs.

:)

Nice. Good job.

I relate to what you said of yourself -- that "I have been given so much in this Life and that, even while aware of that fact, I had not taken care of many things as well as I should have."

Last edited:
(Oh, and I'll throw this out: did any other 'survivors' experience PTSD?)

A little, yes. One time not long after my hospital experience, where I almost died from septic shock from a botched surgery, I was laying on a hospital bed in the ER, waiting to be seen. My body just started trembling, involuntarily. I knew cognitively that I wasn't in any danger, but my body was scared to death; it was trembling and shaking. Being back in the hospital scared the heck out of it.

Last edited:
The surgery was supposed to be no big deal.

Mine hit just after a kidney stone blasting........I'm scheduled for another blasting on January 17.......to quote one of my youthful heroes "What, me worry?"

A little, yes. One time not long after my hospital experience, where I almost died from septic shock from a botched surgery, I was laying on a hospital bed in the ER, waiting to be seen. My body just started trembling, involuntarily. I knew cognitively that I wasn't in any danger, but my body was scared to death; it was trembling and shaking. Being back in the hospital scared the heck out of it.

I went through it for the better part of a week, (now I can empathize with combat troops, who've experienced waaay worse) - I'm generally very upbeat, but became extremely despondent, very emotional...breaking into tears...(even to the point of Googling how long it would take to die if I ceased eating or drinking).

DW, understandably concerned, went to see our doctor, whose office is kitty-corner from where we live, (I refused to go with), for input.

Then......Poof...it was gone.....hopefully never to return. NOT a pleasant experience. Never had anything remotely like it before...never want anything remotely like it again.

Last edited:
I went through it for the better part of a week, (now I can empathize with combat troops, who've experienced waaay worse) - I'm generally very upbeat, but became extremely despondent, very emotional...breaking into tears...(even to the point of Googling how long it would take to die if I ceased eating or drinking).

DW, understandably concerned, went to see our doctor, whose office is kitty-corner from where we live, (I refused to go with), for input.

Then......Poof...it was gone.....hopefully never to return. NOT a pleasant experience. Never had anything remotely like it before...never want anything remotely like it again.

That sounds rough, man. Good luck with the upcoming procedure. Sounds pretty simple. *knock wood*

I had just a little taste of that PTSD. Lasted for about 10 minutes maybe. It was strange to feel my body reacting on a completely different level than my mind/brain.

p.s. The worst part for me was being hooked to the breathing tube for 2 weeks, being unable to speak and having a machine be in charge of my breathing. That's f*cking scary. I hated that.

Last edited:
I had just a little taste of that PTSD. Lasted for about 10 minutes maybe. It was strange to feel my body reacting on a completely different level than my mind/brain.
Yes, it just brings home how mentally and physically vulnerable someone can become in a heartbeat.......especially if you've always thought "I can handle this, whatever this might be".......I know better now.

The worst part for me was being hooked to the breathing tube for 2 weeks, being unable to speak and having a machine be in charge of my breathing. That's f*cking scary. I hated that.

That IS scary...glad you made it through!

OMG - I would so panic with a breathing tube! My blood pressure and heart rate would go sky high.

OMG - I would so panic with a breathing tube! My blood pressure and heart rate would go sky high.

Yeah, it's hard to explain in words, but there is something that taps into a lizard-brain level fear, when something else is in control of your breathing.

And then not being able to speak, too.

Horrible.

DW had a breathing tube for two days when she had a heart valve replaced in 2017.

The scary thing about breathing tubes is when they remove them, if you don't breath on your own, the docs don't have many choices to keep you alive.

DW had a breathing tube for two days when she had a heart valve replaced in 2017.

The scary thing about breathing tubes is when they remove them, if you don't breath on your own, the docs don't have many choices to keep you alive.

Yeah, they took me off the breathing tube to see how I'd do, about two weeks into the ordeal. It lasted about an hour. I wasn't sure if the nurse forgot me. I was exhausted by the end.

I think it helped, though, because, the next day, the doctor decided to take me off the breathing tube. Thank goodness. It was so great to speak again, to have a voice. It's hard to explain how immobilized you feel, when you can't breathe for yourself and can't speak.

I had a NDE when I was 15. It was mystical and wonderful. I also had a conversation about confidence and going back. I know I didn't want to go back. Since then, I rarely talk about it because some say scientifically the body/brain hormones excrete soothing positive feelings, like endorphins and dopamine. A protection against fear and anxiety? I gathered from a few conversations about extreme pain. The body goes into shock to protect you. Maybe same with NDE. So, we'll never know until the actual event...but wouldn't it be nice if that experience really was on the other side? I'm not afraid of death but fear pain, anxiety, helplessness etc. So, my wish is to go fast.

So, my wish is to go fast.

I've told DW a few times, that if I clutch my chest and am dead before I hit the floor, I want a round of applause.

I'm immuno compromised so I tend to visit the ER once or twice a year:facepalm:. This is my biggest fear, and I put sepsis as the #1 candidate to ultimately kill me. I got it once, and obviously survived it. That episode was terrifying.

Back
Top Bottom