Shingles vaccine

Answers to some questions:

1) Is it recommended at age 50 or 60?

The FDA had lowered their recommended vaccination of shingles to 50 years old, the CDC has kept it at 60 years old. This is why every insurance company has a different answer. Some have followed the FDA and will pay for it at 50+, others are following the CDC and won't pay till 60+ (another way to keep costs lower for them??). <<-- BTW, this is a trick that all insurance companies use to not pay for certain drugs. If the Doctor prescribed you an expensive medication, but is using it for off labeled use then the insurance company can deny the claim saying it hasn't been approved by the FDA for that specific use even if the off-labeled use is well documented to work.

"Update on Recommendations for Use of Herpes Zoster Vaccine

Weekly

August 22, 2014 / 63(33);729-731

Craig M. Hales, MD1, Rafael Harpaz, MD1, Ismael Ortega-Sanchez, PhD1, Stephanie R. Bialek, MD1 (Author affiliations at end of text)
Herpes zoster vaccine (Zostavax [Merck & Co., Inc.]) was licensed in 2006 and recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) in 2008 for prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) and its complications among adults aged ≥60 years (1). The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the use of Zostavax in 2011 for adults aged 50 through 59 years based on a large study of safety and efficacy in this age group (2). ACIP initially considered the use of herpes zoster vaccine among adults aged 50 through 59 years in June 2011, but declined to recommend the vaccine in this age group, citing shortages of Zostavax and limited data on long-term protection afforded by herpes zoster vaccine (2). In October 2013, ACIP reviewed the epidemiology of herpes zoster and its complications, herpes zoster vaccine supply, short-term vaccine efficacy in adults aged 50 through 59 years, short- and long- term vaccine efficacy and effectiveness in adults aged ≥60 years, an updated cost-effectiveness analysis, and deliberations of the ACIP herpes zoster work group, all of which are summarized in this report. No vote was taken, and ACIP maintained its current recommendation that herpes zoster vaccine be routinely recommended for adults aged ≥60 years" (ACIP=CDC)

2) Should I get it if I haven't had the chicken pox?

The short answer is YES. It is believed that pre chicken pox vaccinations (1990) that the majority of people had been exposed to or had the chicken pox, but due to light or no symptoms, the possibility that they were never officially diagnosed or that it was forgotten that little John or Mary had them 50 years ago. You'd be safer to get the vaccination.

3) Am I contagious after I get the shingles shot?

While the vaccine is a live virus, it is inactivated so it cannot replicate to cause the full on disease when injected. You do want to have a healthy immune system when you get the vaccination to have the best results (protection) from the vaccine. There are no documented cases that you can spread chickenpox (to varicella virgins) or shingles to another person from the vaccination.

But if you develop shingles itself you are contagious until blisters stop forming and are crusted over.

4) Does my insurance cover it?

Tricky question. I have seen every Tricare plan cover all vaccinations for zero copay. Easiest way to find out is to stop by your pharmacy and ask them to give you a shingles shot, let them know that you want to find out the price before you are going to get it. If it comes out at the cash price $220-275 then say no thanks or as other people have said, that is a small price to pay for moderate protection from the shingles. Another option is to call the insurance number on the back of your card, I'd call the pharmacy benefit first as almost all immunizations are being pushed to pharmacies as a less expensive alternative than the MD office.

Medicare part D - pharmacy coverage will pay for the shingles vaccine. There are a few caveats. Have you hit your deductible? If so you probably want to get it done before the end of the year, before the reset button gets hit. If you haven't maybe you should wait till January and have a big chunk of it taken care of with your shingles shot. Many part D copays run from $45 to $90 (after deductible).

My Dr. also said I needed to be 60 before she'd order a shingles vac, but she didn't cite insurance cost and probably doesn't care. I didn't argue. I was too busy getting the flu shot that she DID want me to have.

Mr. A. had shingles some years back; even though his was a "mild" case, and cleared up quickly with medication, I sure don't want it.

I just called Blue Shield CA to see if I can get one for free and they said that I had to be 60 or over. Different here I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Is there a way to test if you have had chicken pox?

An acquaintance of mine (age early 70s) claims he never had chicken pox and recently got shingles.

Yes. Chickenpox antibodies can be measured in a blood sample.

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/chickenpox/tab/test/

Also, your friend did have chickenpox in the past. Not everyone who is infected with chickenpox gets the typical rash. Shingles is due to emergence of the chickenpox virus from its hiding place in the dorsal spinal nerve roots. When chickenpox antibody tests are done, it is quite common for people with no history of chickenpox to have chickenpox immune globulin in their blood (IgG, which takes weeks to appear after being infected).

Last edited:
We went on vacation earlier this year, and the wife spent her nights itching and itching. Fortunately she had some Neurotin with her--a prescription medicine--that stopped most of the itch.

As we got home, she broke out with a rash on her neck/face and she peeled in those places. Looking back, she had a very minor case of the shingles while we were on our trip. Had she not taken the Shingles Vaccine earlier, my wife would have had a full blown, painful case of the shingles.

Hopefully it was the shingles and not bedbugs, my number one fear when I get a rash away from home...

I got the vaccine a couple years ago. I forget the exact conversation with my GP, but I think he said it may or may not be covered and it was up to me, but he recommended it. I went ahead and my insurance did cover it. I had just heard from a friend who'd had it how painful it was.

In just the last couple weeks I've had a small, somewhat painful and itchy breakout on my side, just above the belt. Now that I think about it, it probably is shingles. Apparently the vaccine doesn't always prevent it but can reduce the symptoms. It's not bad enough to go see a doctor, and seems to be subsiding. It did puzzle me how this breakout could be hurting more and differently than a rash should until I realized what it probably is.

Assuming that's what it is, and that the vaccine did help tone down the symptoms, I'm very glad I got the vaccine.

Answers to some questions:
---

Thanks- that's good information. I had shingles when I was in my late 40's. It was a milder case- I thought I was getting attacked by bugs during the night or something. There were "bites" all over my back. Then DW noticed the peculiar pattern. Last month I looked into immunization, but my insurance declined coverage, since I'm not yet 60. So now I'm trying to decide whether to spend the money, or wait another year.

I got the vaccine a couple years ago. I forget the exact conversation with my GP, but I think he said it may or may not be covered and it was up to me, but he recommended it. I went ahead and my insurance did cover it. I had just heard from a friend who'd had it how painful it was.

In just the last couple weeks I've had a small, somewhat painful and itchy breakout on my side, just above the belt. Now that I think about it, it probably is shingles. Apparently the vaccine doesn't always prevent it but can reduce the symptoms. It's not bad enough to go see a doctor, and seems to be subsiding. It did puzzle me how this breakout could be hurting more and differently than a rash should until I realized what it probably is.

Assuming that's what it is, and that the vaccine did help tone down the symptoms, I'm very glad I got the vaccine.

If you have a case of shingles you should see your doctor for treatment - but you need to see them within a week (or something like that) for the treatment to do any good. Treatment will help alleviate symptoms even with the vaccine.

If you have a case of shingles you should see your doctor for treatment - but you need to see them within a week (or something like that) for the treatment to do any good. Treatment will help alleviate symptoms even with the vaccine.
Yea, you want to get on valacyclovir antiviral immediately if you have an shingles outbreak.

Even if the symptoms weren't very bad? It was really more of an annoyance. I ran my 3rd fastest marathon ever this weekend with it, so it didn't seem to be otherwise affecting me.

I got my physical today. I asked the doctor to write me a prescription for the shingles vaccine. The pharmacy that is in my PPO for my insurance would not give the vaccine unless they had a prescription for it. I have BCBS Federal and called them before going to the pharmacy with the prescription to make sure I would not be billed full price since I am under 60 years of age. I am 57. BCBS told me no charge for people 50 and over. So...I got the shot. You folks need to do the same. My wife just got over a mild case of shingles and it is some of the worst pain there is.

We went on vacation earlier this year, and the wife spent her nights itching and itching. Fortunately she had some Neurotin with her--a prescription medicine--that stopped most of the itch.

As we got home, she broke out with a rash on her neck/face and she peeled in those places. Looking back, she had a very minor case of the shingles while we were on our trip. Had she not taken the Shingles Vaccine earlier, my wife would have had a full blown, painful case of the shingles.

I had a small mild outbreak as well this year after having the vaccine maybe two years ago. More irrritating than painful, so glad I got the shot.

Back
Top Bottom