RSV vaccine side effects?

I am new on Medicare this year and with AARP Medigap plan, can I just walk into a CVS pharmacy and get my vaccines with no charge?

We got our RSV yesterday. A little sting, no problems sleeping.
Arm is slightly tender today. No big deal, and happy to be protected.

I got the Pfizer RSV vaccine yesterday. Not even a sore arm. I had to find a pharmacy which had the Pfizer RSV vaccine, and not the GSK RSV vaccine. I had a severe reaction to the Shingrix vaccine, and the GSK RSV vaccine uses the same adjuvant they first used in Shingrix. The Pfizer RSV vaccine has no adjuvant.

FWIW, I had virtually no reaction to the flu shot I got in late October, even though the pharmacist's hard jab seemed to be an attempt to get the needle to go completely thru my arm. I also had virtually no reaction to the latest Moderna Covid vaccine I got in September as soon as it was available.

I got the Pfizer RSV vaccine yesterday. Not even a sore arm. I had to find a pharmacy which had the Pfizer RSV vaccine, and not the GSK RSV vaccine. I had a severe reaction to the Shingrix vaccine, and the GSK RSV vaccine uses the same adjuvant they first used in Shingrix.

Well that explains my reaction to the GSK RSV vaccine - a day and a half of headaches. But ibuprofen helped with that. I had a similar reaction to Shingrx. Not severe, just annoying.

- Rita

I had the COVID booster a couple of weeks ago, RSV a week later. (For some reason CVS couldn't do it without a prescription in my state but I was visiting family in Iowa.)

Usual sore arm for a couple of days after the COVID booster; a lot less soreness from the RSV. No other reactions.

Our PCP recommended RSV, Covid and Fluzone, so there’s probably not a consensus.

FWIW, RSV may be a one time vaccine, not an annual like some others. I found another source that suggested every other year is often enough. But frequency has not yet been fully settled, you may not need it again…tbd.

Earlier this week met my new primary and one of the things covered was RSV.
UNLESS you have comorbidities (nope) or have been long-term smoker(NOPE) he viewed the RSV optional. His position I think is influenced by his perspective on how we suddenly have a vaccine. He indicated that for adults they never had an easy to diagnose RSV in adults until Pfizer et al learned to use Mrna, and saw how easy it would be to use nasal swab methods developed for Covid testing. Saw a quick money train and brought to market. This is not to say the vaccine is not worthwhile just it is not an automatic. He is an advocate for vaccines is general but is patient focused.
I think I am going to like my new doc☺️

I'm getting some RSV immunity right now the old fashioned way. I'd rather have a shot.

Our doc recommends vaccines in general but is not recommending the RSV vaccine to his patients. Not sure I understand the issues but since I only heard of RSV a few months ago I guess I can maybe wait a bit for things to shake out.

Our doc recommends vaccines in general but is not recommending the RSV vaccine to his patients. Not sure I understand the issues but since I only heard of RSV a few months ago I guess I can maybe wait a bit for things to shake out.

Interesting. My PCP and Cardiologist both recommend the vax (lean toward GSK as potentially more effective - but either okay by them.) Keep in mind I know nothing and my docs probably don't know a lot more - they just read the literature which we can do as well for the most part. SO, YMMV

Hmmm ... Koolau, unless you spent that 6-14 years after college studying and practicing medicine, I'd urge you to give your docs the benefit of the doubt.

FWIW I got my shot per PCP's recommendation a couple of days ago and have/had no side effects. DW had a sore shoulder for a day.

Mod Note:

Several posts were removed that were off-topic and unhelpful to this discussion.

If you see posts that don't comply with our community guidelines, please use the report button instead of engaging in-thread:

It is faster and more efficient, and reduces the work for the Mod team.

Back
Top Bottom