Statin Drugs and COQ-10 "Leaching"???

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've read 3 different reports from three different sources saying if you are on statins you need to supplment with COQ-10.

Wondering if Rich can comment??

Rich called BS when I brought this up on another thread, but the Canadian government requires all static drug makers to put a label on their products saying not to take w/out CoQ10.

I was taking 200mg daily, now I've backed down to 100mg daily (and no, I'm not on statins or any other drugs, just do it for my health).

FinanceDude said:
I guess my doctor is one of the "pushers". When I turned 40, she put me on a "diet" of one St. Joe's aspirin a day (81mg) along with one Folic Acid tablet (400mg) per day. She said she puts all her male patients on that at age 40.......... :eek: :eek:

FWIW, aspirin becomes more good than bad for you if your annual risk of a heart attack is >= 1%. Most 40 y.o. men have risks considerably lower than that barring obvious risk factors. At age 50 it starts to be a close call for many. Folate supplements for those on a conventional diet have not been shown to affect cardiac outcomes to my knowledge.

So, the decision has to be made by the provider who knows your situation as an individual.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
FWIW, aspirin becomes more good than bad for you if your annual risk of a heart attack is >= 1%. Most 40 y.o. men have risks considerably lower than that barring obvious risk factors. At age 50 it starts to be a close call for many. Folate supplements for those on a conventional diet have not been shown to affect cardiac outcomes to my knowledge.

So, the decision has to be made by the provider who knows your situation as an individual.

Well, high cholesterol in my case, so she probably is being "safe"............ :LOL: :LOL:

"I recommend that anyone who takes statins or red rice yeast extract supplements for cholesterol control should also take 90 - 120 mg of coenzyme Q10 every day, since these drugs inhibit the body's natural synthesis of CoQ10, which is needed for formation of ATP, our bodies' energy currency. (That may account for the muscle pain that some people experience.)"
Andrew Weil, M.D.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400165

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400021

Back
Top Bottom