Stomach poisoning I think? 4 hours of nastiness..

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yesterday I helped the guy who took down the pool haul away the old pool cover- I then edged and clean up one large garden beds in the front of our home. It was in the 60s and pleasantly cool out and I took my time so the work wasn’t bad. I knocked off early to dispose of an old TV set at the dump. I was all done by by 2:30, had a nap on the couch for an hour.

Dinner was an old but simple favorite Tacos (fried up chopped meat and onions, cheese hot sauce- “nuke” for 40 seconds and then hot sauce and and lettuce). Around 7PM I thought I didn’t do enough today so a 30-40 minute walk is in order. I turned on the podcast and set off but something is very wrong I am dizzy and Im walking like a drunk. I get a few blocks and turn around and get home and collapse into my favorite chair. The dizziness is now awful I make it up stairs to my bed. I close my eyes to stop the “spins” as lay there for 1/2 hour miserable I am sweating profusely. I am thinking I didnt have too much sugar today, Ive been active What can this be? I am scared - thinking what’s next.

My body by then knew it wanted dinner out - 4 trips to the bathroom and violent heaving -over say the next hour. The Mrs brings me water and i sip some. I pass out and wake up a couple hours later.. felling good enough to get ready for bed.

It reminds me of my college days when I had a bad cream donut at a donut shop but the dizziness was far worse...

This morning I am sipping water feeling better but a little nervous to eat or drink anything other than water..

Have you ever experience this? I usually have a billy goats stomach...

Last edited:
The spinning sounds like vertigo which can also cause vomiting. If you had diarrhea then you are probably right it is a stomach thing. If you feel ok today just take it easy and rehydrate and rest.

Over the counter meclizine ( bonine or other) can be a lifesaver if it is vertigo. If you don’t get better in a couple of days or if you have other symptoms or pre existing conditions see your doctor

I've had the wonderful joy of food poisoning 3 times, and your description matches what I went through. I was back to eating normal food again by the 2nd day.

There's also norovirus, which takes about 18 to 36 hours to hit you, so typically it is what was eaten yesterday. That usually comes with nasty diarrhea.

I like what Sarah says. Vertigo. Maybe your activity loosened a crystal or two in your ear.

I experienced similar symptoms (vertigo, walking like drunk, chills, sweating, vomiting) in the past years ago.

In my case, I didn't conclude food poisoning since others who also ate were symptom free. My theory is I over indulged in foods with sodium or garlic and also not drinking enough water in the first place. In one episode, had a fast food diet like a Big Mac in the morning, then for dinner, plenty of Little Caesars pizza.

Now if I do eat that junk food (not often), I make sure to load up and hydrate with water before and after the meal. But better yet, avoid altogether.

Yes! Food poisoning. Coming out both ends (sorry for visual). Sick for days. After this happened, a friend who is a nurse said should have gone to ER for IV drip. You become so dehydrated, cannot keep anything down and it's dangerous for the kidneys. Hope it never happens again, I wear surgical gloves when cooking any kind of meat or fish. I probably overcook and wash vegetables/fruit.

Ate at The Phoenix in KCMO, six hours later I went to the bathroom for three days. After that I went to the ER and was admitted for 3 days. They collected and measured everything from my body. Salmonella, The Phoenix offered me a free lunch.

Been there, done that. Amazes me how violently the body can react to bad food. My guess is those simple favorite tacos won't appeal again for awhile.

You know what also causes some of these symptoms, such as dry heaves? Elevated eye pressure. Ask me how I know--I was recently diagnosed with glaucoma. I too thought it had to be food poisoning.

Dollars to donuts it wasn't food poisoning, but some microbe that came from the old pool cover or garden bed. Lot of nasty nasty stuff out there in the air, water or dirt, and it's not hard to ingest them. I see what microbes can do to some open unprotected fruit juice or wort in the matter of hours.

Dollars to donuts it wasn't food poisoning, but some microbe that came from the old pool cover or garden bed. Lot of nasty nasty stuff out there in the air, water or dirt, and it's not hard to ingest them. I see what microbes can do to some open unprotected fruit juice or wort in the matter of hours.

Yep, I rode in our farm truck after we had an issue with some dirty (ie moldy, wet) soybeans 3 hours later I had a headache and two hours after that I was puking so bad my eyes got bloodshot. It left as quickly as it came, but I never go anywhere near grain handling without wearing a face mask.

Food poisoning I got when vacationing in Categena Colombia. I ate what was similar to an Italian ice flavored with syrup. The next several days I pretty much lived in the bathroom. I felt so dehydrated and completely exhausted. Apparently the blocks of ice that the vendor used sat on the filthy street which was covered with all sorts of bacteria.

+1, I agree with Winemaker. Food poisoning is not as common as people think.

I vote Vertigo.

I have had one round of so called food poisoning , and 2 or 3 of vertigo.

Food poisoning did not cause dizziness but took almost 2 days to fully recover.

The "vertigo" is what I usually called head spins are a pre-curser to getting violently sick into the throne. When you can't focus with eyes open, or closed, you know you are in trouble. My episodes were usually alcohol/weed events.

:sick: Vertigo ranks right up there as one of the worst experiences in my lifetime.

On the bright side, it's pretty great the way our bodies can force out the poison and keep us alive, even though we may wish we were dead while it's going on.

Fruit juice? I think of the many outdoor picnics and BBQ's where food and fruit juice sits out for hours. Maybe the preservatives in processed food isn't all bad.

Been there done that - though it's been a while. Ranged from mom leaving a bucket of KFC out for a few hours when I was a kid (what was she thinking?) and the whole family got it. The other time at a restaurant ate a piece of meat that tasted somehow "off". Sure enough.. Been at least 15 years since anything like that - hope for it to be many many more!!!!

Fruit juice? I think of the many outdoor picnics and BBQ's where food and fruit juice sits out for hours. Maybe the preservatives in processed food isn't all bad.

I was speaking of the fresh fruit I crush to make apple, berry, peach or pear wines. I must put a dose of metabisufite in to kill any microbes or wild yeasts that wants to make vinegar, unless I am actually making apple, berry, peach or pear vinegars.

RIP - ha, know all about it pawdnaahhhh, laying down with a garbage to barf in.....fever and chills, the shakes, gut ache bad, and the fever so bad can't walk .... good times and part of the benefits of being a glamorous international oilfield worker....

Working Africa since 2003....food poisoning & bad water..... yes and bad hombre..... Open air markets with goats, cows, chickens, bats, monkeys, rats, snails...Bush Meat....all being slaughtered and chopped up on the table...clouds of flies....fish in the tropical heat......it is no better offshore...embarassing really what food we get offshore....

Mystery meat - yep have ate pounds of pounds of it..... and eating it and then being deathly ill....yes know all about it.

Why you ask, you get GD tired of Ramen noodles 7 day per week for months on end and you run out of beef jerky and peanut butter.....you get hungry....

We bring Pepto Bismol back by the gallon and ms gamboolgal gets all kinds of meds for the food poisoning....

It is miserable.... I have found that if I stay on the Ramen and the Dirty Bird and Camelia and Blue Runner Beans we bring from Texas and white rice I wash real good....I usually don't get the gut aches.....till I get adventurous and eat at the galley or in town.......dodging the cholera, ebola, malaria, yellow fever.......

CHqYddDb.png
9AMa8Kbb.png
Dal0M8ib.png
NP1eUKub.png

But dessert is always good...
8VlroOfb.jpg

One thing for sure....makes you appreciate Texas and home and good home cooking at home.
In retirement, I imagine we'll put in a good sized garden, have plenty of deer meat and pigs in the freezer, bags of Crappie and Cat Fish Fillets....Blueegills...
VszOzqdb.png

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....
gamboolman....

Last edited:
I was speaking of the fresh fruit I crush to make apple, berry, peach or pear wines. I must put a dose of metabisufite in to kill any microbes or wild yeasts that wants to make vinegar, unless I am actually making apple, berry, peach or pear vinegars.
Feeling pretty lucky that the pomegranate juice I got in the Mediterranean area didn't do anything bad to me. It was delicious. However, watching the vendor pull out that dirty old pomegranate and juicing it in that sketchy machine had me thinking the worse.

Back
Top Bottom