Strength training with dumbbells

Dude

Recycles dryer sheets
Trombone Al's strained back muscle thread reminded me that I've been wanting to ask this.

Anybody know of a good resource on putting together a full-body strength training routine using dumbbells only?

Al, where did that Dumbbell Squat photo come from?

I've got a full set at home, ranging from 5lbs to 70lbs. Want to put together a full-body routine using them. Looking for a good book, website, etc. Thanks.

I haven't tried it, but John Basedow's Fitness Made Simple series has a couple videos that emphasize the use of a very limited set of free weights, especially dumbbells. A couple people in the fitness trainer program at the community college have seen them, and thought they were really pretty good.

Oh, just realized the dumbbells you're talking about are made of metal. Sorry,, thought I had some good ideas, silly me.

That's exactly what I've done. I didn't want to deal with barbells.

That photo is from Strength Training Past 50, highly recommended.

Below is my workout, based on the book's advice. The book has a series of recommended workouts, and a way of evaluating your starting point.

It's good at describing exactly how to do the exercises. It failed to help me get the dumbbells off the floor, however. I think my mistake was that I tried so hard to keep the back straight when I did this, that I was on my toes, lost my balance, and strained the back in recovering. I've since read up on the dead lift, and I think I'll be more secure in the future.

Attachments

• WorkoutSheet.jpg
    WorkoutSheet.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 31
Thanks all for the responses, you've given me some great info to get started. Thanks Al for the workout sheet and book tip, that's just what I was looking for, going to check it out.

I got mine from the library, and scanned in the pages I figured I'd need to refer to.

Back
Top Bottom