Sudden Unexplained Coma

That sounds so promising! Yeah!

The patient is just under 65, right? Hopefully she has health insurance so her only costs will be the OOP Max of maybe around $6000. I'm sure the total bill will be well into the 6 figures for the insurance company.
Her husband is retired military with Tri-Care For Life. He told me they will not pay one penny out of pocket for this. I hope he's correct. She will be 65 in November.

Very very glad OP that she is getting better. It seemed they were testing for everything under the sun but it turned out to be something from her childhood.

(I am still scared of ticks though!)

Great news. Thanks for the update.

Great news and I hope that it keeps getting better too. What a relief for the family.

Her situation sure sounds promising. Hopefully you and your family can get a little rest. Thank you for the update...fingers crossed she'll be home soon.

Last edited:
Swallow test given this morning and she passed so can now have ice chips and water. Will do another swallow test tomorrow and depending on outcome will consider removing feeding tube and allowing soft foods. She is on her way to recovery! Knowing how most hospital operate, once you can eat and poop and are otherwise stable they release you. Although she is still hooked up to monitors, and IVs the feeding tube is the last "support" she is being given, unless you count the catheter. Her raging headache from yesterday is better. I would think the antibiotics and seizure medications can be continued at home. Still hoping she will be released later this week, although they aren't committing to anything at this point. She is very weak and still very sleepy but otherwise is improving.

Fantastic news!

Very happy to hear such positive news, MissMolly! Hope that her recovery continues smoothly and that the anti-seizure meds keep her stable.

She is heading in a very very positive direction.

So happy for your whole family.

Swanee

Knowing how most hospital operate, once you can eat and poop and are otherwise stable they release you.

I think that happens mostly regarding out patient surgery. IIRC, this has not been completely diagnosed yet with a full treatment plan.

Rich

She's home, thanks for asking. They still really don't have any solid answers. She has 3 appointments over the next two weeks with a neurologist, a cardiologist and her PCP. If she doesn't get any real answers she's going to follow up with either UK Med School or Mayo Clinic (both recommended by her doctor). She is still on anti-seizure meds but all the doctors say it's a long-shot that it was caused by the febrile seizures from when she was a baby, but yet they have no other explanation at this point.

She needs some answers. If this had happened and her husband had not been right there she could have died, or if it happened when driving she could have killed someone else as well as herself.

So the wait for answers continues....

She's home, thanks for asking. They still really don't have any solid answers. She has 3 appointments over the next two weeks with a neurologist, a cardiologist and her PCP. If she doesn't get any real answers she's going to follow up with either UK Med School or Mayo Clinic (both recommended by her doctor). She is still on anti-seizure meds but all the doctors say it's a long-shot that it was caused by the febrile seizures from when she was a baby, but yet they have no other explanation at this point.

She needs some answers. If this had happened and her husband had not been right there she could have died, or if it happened when driving she could have killed someone else as well as herself.

So the wait for answers continues....
What a miracle that she is home and apparently doing well. Hopefully she will not be spending time alone, or driving, until this mysterious health issue is figured out.

What a miracle that she is home and apparently doing well. Hopefully she will not be spending time alone, or driving, until this mysterious health issue is figured out.
Yes, it is a miracle. In a coma all week long and then they removed the vent Saturday morning while I was there. She slept all day and never really woke up. I left around 4:30pm when her son came in to take the night shift. He said she woke up a couple of hours later and it was like she had been rebooted - talking normal, not sleepy, but totally confused about what was going on. She had absolutely no recall of the whole previous week or even of anything that had happened earlier that day. Did not know she had been on a vent, did not know she had been in a coma, did not know why she was in the hospital, did not recall getting sick at home the previous Sunday, did not know I had been there all day...it was like her memory just started all over again from that moment. Her speech is slurred but I suspect it from all the medicine she on - otherwise she seems like her old self. Strange.

Last edited:
Can we get an update? You last post sure sounded promising, was there a full recovery? Was a cause determined?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom