Swine flu: what NOT to do

I wish they, whoever "they" are had given it a different name.

Hamlet flu, perhaps? :flowers:

About a month ago my son was exposed to a confirmed case of swine flu, he was sick but no fever...I felt terrible (I did get a fewer) so they gave us both tamiflu but of course didn't know for sure what I had. Since then I've felt fine but had a somewhat persistent mild cough (this time of year I usually get allergy problems anyway).

So, earlier in the week my daughter gets 103 fever (she gets tested and is positive for Flu A which they said is nearly always H1N1 this year -- she is higher risk since she has Hemoglobin H disease). I develop a 102 fever so I'm on tamiflu again.

I felt wretched Tuesday, but Wednesday I felt tired but not that awful and the fever was gone. Following instructions I returned to work (more than 24 hours after fever). I actually didn't feel that bad this morning.

However, around midday very suddenly, my throat started hurting and my chest felt congested and it hurt to cough. I don't actually have any shortness of breath and don't feel that bad (fever is still gone) but I was surprised at how quickly this chest congestion came on. May stay home tomorrow.

If you cancel, you risk getting the flu there, in addition to missing Tampa in January (think cool nights, blue sunny days, breezes, 80 degrees).

If it were me, I'd make my plans, and deal with whatever comes up. What area are you staying in during your visit to Tampa Bay?
I hear you loud and clear about the travel and get sick or stay here and get sick. :LOL:
I just got my seasonal flu shot today, so that is half the battle. I doubt I will ever qualify for the H1N1 when it finally gets here.
I have a long lost friend (former co-w*rker) who lives in the Tampa area with her husband. She's been bugging me for years to come visit.
I don't have their exact address, but they both w*rk at McDill. I also have the opportunity to sleep on a friend of a friend's sailboat in one of the coastal towns nearby. So my lodging plans are not quite finalized. I'm leaning toward the boat. :D
Once I get off my keister and do some real trip planning, I will PM you on the details. :)

Sorry you got sick on that cruise, Freebird, I don't remember that from your thread.:( I cancelled a day cruise:rolleyes: for this coming Saturday because I came down with some crud on Monday. The guy said, "if you're up to it, just come down to the dock." What a salesman, that gives me the option of waiting until the last moment to decide. Wish all travel was that way, minimal advance planning.

Freebird, I think you are being prudent, not irrational. How about hopping AMTRAK at the last moment? nm, I may be the only one who goes that way.
We got sicker than dogs on day 8 of 12. But we toughed it out and minmized contact with other passengers as best we could. There were a few cases of swine flu on our cruise ship. We passed thermal scans in 2 countries, so we were pretty confident it wasn't H1N1, at the time. I went online to the CDC site while onboard ship. We did not have the H1N1 symptoms.
I actually did consider Amtrak. However, I would have to change trains in Penn Station in NYC, with heavy luggage, and that is not fun. I have ongoing tendonitis and weakness in my hands. Penn Station is a veritable cattle stampede with the crowds of commuters. BTDT..never again. :nonono:
I'll definitely fly. JetBlue has some really great fares to Tampa out of Syracuse NY.
End of threadjack. :flowers:

Awesome. You'll be close by.
Stay tuned...I've been squirreling away FL trip money by not going out for lunches and doing no personal shopping. I almost have enough. :D
I won't have lodging costs, only airfare, rental car, and mad money. :cool:
dh2b will be king of the [-]mountain of snow[/-] hill, here at home. Wish I could bring him, but...it's that darn four letter "W' thing again. :(

To get back on track...Swine flu...what NOT to do ?
Do not let it stand in the way of fun. Doctor's orders. ;)

Health care providers are in group 1 to get the stuff, but it will be part of the usual bulk shipment - no earlybird specials here. Got my seasonal, waiting for the swine.

Interesting difference in approach between our two countries. USA: early shipment of non-adjuvant vaccine, now out of stock, public eagerly awaiting more.

Canada: seasonal flu vaccine blitz already done for seniors only; adjuvant H1N1 vaccine approved Oct 21, manufacturers apparently churning out enough for everybody (50 million doses available for 33 million people); New Brunswick started immunizations Oct 22, everywhere else starts with the priority list people (including healthcare providers) on Monday next. I will be there @ 0630h on Monday am with my sleeve rolled up.

Pregnant women have a choice of waiting 1-2 weeks for non-adjuvant vaccine, or getting adjuvant vaccine next week.

Who knows how it will all turn out?

I have already had my seasonal flu vaccine. I don't believe I will be eligible for the H1N1 vaccine unless there is a surfeit in the supply chain. I'm not particularly worried about myself as I was born prior to 1957 and am disgustingly healthy. I worry more about the younger folks, especially those with conditions like asthma and diabetes.

I'm not particularly worried about myself as I was born prior to 1957 and am disgustingly healthy

I was wondering whether being healthy makes you more like a younger person, and therefore more susceptible. I'm not clear on why this virus is worse for the young, and perhaps no one is:

H5N1: Why does H1N1 attack the young?

Back
Top Bottom